Adobe Reader compatability problem

Our new computer has Vista,   and whenever we access a web page (via Firefox) that requires Adobe Acrobat reader the wretched thing announces triumphantly that there is a compatibility issue....

So tonight I download Adobe version 9 (about 33 MB) and try to install it.   The set up gets to 99.9% and then announces that it's failed,  offering me an online solution,   which itself then fails in that it simply never happens.

I've removed Adobe 7 but to no avail.

I've always LOATHED Adobe,  and I'm beginning to loathe Vista too.   Why on earth can't these geeks sort all this sort of stuff out properly instead of burdening us mere mortals with the problems.

Please - can one of you experts help....?

Thanks

What an interesting solution,  certainly does the trick on the CSA transmitter list.

Will have to find Adobe 7 and put it back on the computer for reading other stuff.   But it is odd that version 9 won't even install.

Renewed thanks Clair,  you really are a star!

There are plenty of difficulties, it seems, with Reader 9 on Vista.  No response from Adobe yet.

Reader v8.1.2 is still available from adobe.com, but I'm intrigued regarding what these compatibility issues are.  A .pdf should be a .pdf!  If problems persist, try sending a message to the site's webmaster.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Our new computer has Vista,   and whenever we access a web page (via Firefox) that requires Adobe Acrobat reader the wretched thing announces triumphantly that there is a compatibility issue....

So tonight I download Adobe version 9 (about 33 MB) and try to install it.   The set up gets to 99.9% and then announces that it's failed,  offering me an online solution,   which itself then fails in that it simply never happens.

I've removed Adobe 7 but to no avail.

I've always LOATHED Adobe,  and I'm beginning to loathe Vista too.   Why on earth can't these geeks sort all this sort of stuff out properly instead of burdening us mere mortals with the problems.

Please - can one of you experts help....?

Thanks
[/quote]

There are alternatives to the Adobe Readers.  I've seen this recommended:  Foxit

So I'm not the only one who hates Adobe...   phew!

It's not often I go out an buy software but I did purchase a program which turns Adobe tables and text back into Word and Excel.   Very useful for technical lists etc.   However,  it's not the sort of thing one would use just for casual browsing.   I'll have a look for Adobe 8.

Thanks for the tips.

I've stuck doggedly with v5.0.5

Yes I sometimes get messages about missing features etc. but I just dismiss them and can't recall a single instance where v5 has failed to successfully open a pdf document for reading.

You can find all old versions of Adobe Reader HERE

EDIT: This is with XP BTW, can't comment on Vista compatability, not really bothered with it [:P]