france telecom broadband

Fixed line telephone element is paid bi-monthly and includes line rental and tolled calls.

ADSL element is paid monthly usually on an agreed "forfait" of around €30/month. This monthly charge may include other services such as toll-free VOIP telephone,etc,etc.

There are lots of different contracts available for ADSL so you need to check the Orange Website or local Boutique.

When you post you should see a row of icons above the text box, the 2nd one from the right is a green ball and grey chain - when you add the link just highlight it, click on the ball & chain icon and hey presto !

Sometimes you may have to copy and paste the link directly into the little text box that comes up, if make sure you only have one 'http' and press OK.

Hope that helps

In formatting bar on top of message box; click on last but one Icon; enter or paste link in lower URL dialogue window; click OK and hyperlink will appear at position where the edit cursor was when you entered URL sequence. The type is already HTTP so no need to change. I have not actually used any of the other Type options but intend one day to give 'em all a whizz.

Sorry a couple of minutes late.[:P]

[quote user="powerdesal"]See todays special offer!!!!

http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residentiel/hd/hdtvtelephone.aspx?idnode=95
[/quote]

its not exactly just today's special offer, it has been there since 13 November and runs up to the 14 January. It will probably be extended or replaced with another similar offer.

Just for clarity, the total cost per month would be:

16.00 FT line rental

29.90 (19.90 for 1st 3 months - saving of 30 euros)

3.00 rental of livebox

7.00 for international VOIP calls + 30 mins a month to mobiles in France if you want free calls to UK and other countries

55.90 total per month plus any calls not included in the package - to special numbers, mobiles etc

there are other possibilities too, both with Orange and other providers

Danny

[quote user="woody234"]thanks for replys, 55 euros a month is expensive so i will wait until it comes down to about 20 euros a month

[/quote]

I suspect that will be a very long wait.

ps. It was todays offer for me, I hadn't seen it before. I don't tend to interrogate the FT site very much.

[quote user="woody234"]thanks for replys, 55 euros a month is expensive so i will wait until it comes down to about 20 euros a month
[/quote]

I live in rural france Deux-Sèvres, la vraie france profonde, maximum 2 Mb/s ADSL. I have a contract with Alice.

I pay € 34.95 per month by direct debit/prélèvement.

But Alice pay my € 16 per month France Telecom line charge for me.

Ok so leaves me an effective payment of € 18.45 per month:::::So there you go that makes less than € 20...satisfied.[:)]

BUT I also pay € zero per month for the use of the AliceBox...you wouldn't complain about that.

BUT I also get free unlimited phone calls to fixed lines located in 60 countries around the world. So if I make a call to the UK or USA or Hong Kong; it doesn't cost me a dime.

Before I used to pay about € 20 per month to "LimeyConnect".co.uk. Just for fixed line calls to UK.

So on a cash flow internal rate of return basis I get my unlimited BroadBand ADSL connection for approximately € minus 1.36 per month.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

I live in rural france Deux-Sèvres, la vraie france profonde, maximum 2 Mb/s ADSL. I have a contract with Alice.

I pay € 34.95 per month by direct debit/prélèvement.

But Alice pay my € 16 per month France Telecom line charge for me.

Ok so leaves me an effective payment of € 18.45 per month:::::So there you go that makes less than € 20...satisfied.[:)]

BUT I also pay € zero per month for the use of the AliceBox...you wouldn't complain about that.

BUT I also get free unlimited phone calls to fixed lines located in 60 countries around the world. So if I make a call to the UK or USA or Hong Kong; it doesn't cost me a dime.

Before I used to pay about € 20 per month to "LimeyConnect".co.uk. Just for fixed line calls to UK.

So on a cash flow internal rate of return basis I get my unlimited BroadBand ADSL connection for approximately € minus 1.36 per month.

[/quote]

We are also in the sticks and have Alice broadband and it has been very reliable.

Pachapapa - I understood the first line of your post - after that ???? you lost me.

It is not really the case that Alice pay your FT line rental charge - you just don't have a real phone line anymore. Of course (for woody or others who don't know) this saving is also possible with Free and Orange as well. I hope your modem doesn't go faulty when you really need to make or receive calls...

Danny

PS Woody, I hope you're not in a hurry if you only want to pay 20 euros

Sorry about that I thought up to the third line it was as simple as tooting on a galoubet.

The phone option in VOIP with Alice is a practical alternative as the basic "forfait" allows extension to additional countries at a relatively modest monthly fee or a normal surcharge if connecting on an occasional basis.

The Orange free VOIP gives little more than unlimited fixed line calls to Metropolitan France about as much use to me as a tin of ENOs.

The free support number for Orange works fine on a bog standard call box; when my AliceBox was zicked by lightning in 2008, a quick call from telephone box opposite the Mairie, the new Box arrived three days later. In meantime neighbours helped out, none by the way with Orange.

Your are tecnically and legally correct Alice do not make it a condition that you give up your FT line; the contract terms are clear one has the opportunity to accept the proposition of Alice paying the line charge; in other words one must opt in. So one is at liberty to refuse the optional offer and remain with the FT line and of course pay for it.

I prefer to save € 148 per year but cognisant that perhaps every couple of years as the result of an unfortunate conjuncture of events I may have to pop across the road and dial 112 from a neighbouring phone.

Sorry do not have Poisson Distribution and Markov Chain analysis data available for AliceBox fatal fault frequency.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

I'll take some of what you're on - if the effects are not permanent...

All I meant was that the phone line doesn't work as a phone line anymore. No one (not even Alice) is paying for the line rental

Danny

[/quote]

In disaccord but will come back; got a wild boar roast that needs urgent attention.

Not sure of your reasoning. The ADSL connection requires telephone line connection; although Alice may have their own DSLAM in the telephone exchange, 800 metres away, the line from the exchange to the house is very much the property of France Telecom. In effect the basis of the service in a "non-degrouped" area of france is that the ISP pays for the use of the local connection to access the ADSL client.

I wish you luck with Alice! I used Tiscali dial up when we first moved here, then Tiscali ADSL and finally Alice ADSL, the same as you have. It worked great for a year then came the problems. Every night the phone and broadband went down, it came back to life in the mornings and it was ok during the day. Repeated phone calls to the Alice helpline did not solve the problem and eventually the line went down altogether - no phone, no internet.

My French neighbour and I phoned Alice more than 20 times trying to get the problem sorted. Their response when I phoned from my neighbours house was "we can't help unless you telephone while you are sitting at your computer". I, of course, asked how I could do that when my phone didn't work. The usual response was "use a mobile!"

OK so we tried that. The only place in the whole house where the mobile works is in the bathroom. My neighbour used the mobile and shouted commands to me. The problem was still not resolved.

After a few weeks of banging heads against a brick wall we gave up and I cancelled my contract and signed up to Teleconnect, but that was by no means the end of the story. FT reconnected my line OK but Tiscali/Alice did not release it for a few more weeks. All in all we were three months with limited or no telephone/internet.

Just to add insult to injury I had a 50 Euro mobile phone bill for the calls to Alice "free" helpline. Alice also had the cheek to ring me and ask why I had cancelled and then sent me a letter demanding return of the Alice Box (or pay 99 Euro) which had been sent back to them weeks earlier.

Thanks Alice - you will never see my money again.

I am pleased to report Teleconnect has been superb.

Save €148 a year? Not worth the hassle!

There is a company based in Montpellier called Budget Telecom who can provide ADSL including your line rental for 19.80€ per month - dependent on area.

http://www.budgettelecom.fr/

We used them in the past for telephone when we had a FT line and dial-up internet access, but have no experience of their ADSL service as we have been on cable now for several years (numericable). Incidentally, if you are in a cabled area, the cable operators can provide very competitive high-speed internet access.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"]There is a company based in Montpellier called Budget Telecom who can provide ADSL including your line rental for 19.80€ per month - dependent on area.

http://www.budgettelecom.fr/

We used them in the past for telephone when we had a FT line and dial-up internet access, but have no experience of their ADSL service as we have been on cable now for several years (numericable). Incidentally, if you are in a cabled area, the cable operators can provide very competitive high-speed internet access.

Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

A bit of a double mirror trick as Budget Telecom is in fact the service provider for Teleconnect. If you check their operational and company reports, you will see they provide, under a similar business plan, services in Spain ,France,Belgium and Italy

A more general idea of their hexagon based services is available on the following link; note at bottom left connecting links to the 3 countries mentioned above.

http://www.budget-telecom.com/Corp/default.asp.

@ Jay   Save €148 a year? Not worth the hassle!
Sorry to learn of your problems with Alice and appreciate that the Teleconnect niche marketing strategy for expatriates with limited fluency in french will permit you to solve any problems more simply. The fault you had was probably related to the Modem-Router and possibly self inflicted. Many Brits have problems setting up their boxes and the configuring of Wi-Fi connections seems to be for many an almost impossible problem to resolve. The reason for this appears to be that in the UK people provide their own Modems and Routers; whereas in France the ISPs normally provide their own box with both Modem and Router on board. As a result even a simple operation to configure a WEP or WPA security key becomes a major and often unsuccessful exercise. I frequently see posts on Expat Anglo Forums that suggest the only way to get the jolly old livebox to work is to connect an ADDITIONAL NetGear Router to the box which of course is an extraordinarily asinine thing to do; just marginally less stupid than connecting half a dozen independent routers to a LAN hub. Indeed from a quick perusal of the Teleconnect site which you mentioned the impression is that the connection hardware to the internet is fairly basic and more suitable for an expatriate used to UK customs of modem-router set up. It is a fact of life that a Brit with limited fluency in french will have difficulty in configuring a french box and even more difficulty in coping with an online telephone technical support hot line.

Sorry to learn of your problems with Alice and appreciate that the

Teleconnect niche marketing strategy for expatriates with limited

fluency in french will permit you to solve any problems more simply.

The fault you had was probably related to the Modem-Router and possibly

self inflicted.

What an arrogant response - you assume too much!

[quote user="pachapapa"]..The reason for this appears to be that in the UK people provide their own Modems and Routers; whereas in France the ISPs normally provide their own box with both Modem and Router on board. As a result even a simple operation to configure a WEP or WPA security key becomes a major and often unsuccessful exercise.[/quote]

Never heard of a BT Home Hub then? Or even a British version of an Orange Livebox?

[quote user="pachapapa"] ...It is a fact of life that a Brit with limited fluency in french will have difficulty in configuring a french box and even more difficulty in coping with an online telephone technical support hot line.[/quote]

Rather odd then that I have managed to configure more than one French Orange Livebox (including the free international calls option), and I don't feel any less able to cope with a French helpline than a Mumbai-based BT one.

[:)]