[quote user="krusty"]Has anyone got one yet ?[/quote]

Not I,  I don't even have an HD-ready set yet,  or indeed anything other than a cathode ray tube.

[quote user="krusty"]Is freesat now broadcasting ?[/quote]

Has been broadcasting the actual signals since 2003.   The title and EPG are new.

[quote user="krusty"]Will a sat dish (quad LNB) picking up sky at present also be able to tune into freesat or will I need an extra dish ?[/quote]

No,  your present Astra 2 dish at 28.2 is fine.  

To answer your question,  BBC HD and (soon) ITV HD will be available on a "Freesat" box -  there is some talk that ITV HD might ONLY be available on a Freesat box  (ie not on an ordinary HD box) because ITV want to encourage sales of boxes for a system of which it is one of the founders.    It's certainly thought by some that an encryption flag will be placed on the ITV HD signal to throw Sky boxes off the scent but that in fact the signal won't be scrambled as such.  Quite how that would stop ordinary boxes getting it is unclear as most can (eventually) distinguish between an encryption flag and actual encryption.    I believe the BBC's HD signal is genuinely FTA - (thank you Auntie for again being more "honest" and generous than eveyone else in the business)

I think ch 4 HD is still only available with a Sky HD box,  but this should change when ch 4's contract with Sky ends in the autumn.   The present ch 4 SD FTA signal is a "fix" of London region only to circumvent Sky's contract (and rather crafty too).

Sorry,  I'll never understand this quotes business.

(All sorted out now... anonymous mod)

[quote user="Coppola"]If you're trying to respond within a quote, Martin, try using a different colour font for your response, then it shows up better.[/quote]

Cooperlola, I do not know whether it is your screen, but the quotes  show up very clearly on mine inside a defined box on a grey background.

Baz

[quote user="Baz"]

[quote user="Coppola"]If you're trying to respond within a quote, Martin, try using a different colour font for your response, then it shows up better.[/quote]

Cooperlola, I do not know whether it is your screen, but the quotes  show up very clearly on mine inside a defined box on a grey background.

Baz

[/quote]Ha!  They do now, but they didn't before.  Martin, have you been editing on the qt?

Edit : Ah, I see now that it was a mod' wot done it![I]

Humax would be the one for me as well. I've had a Humax box for over 10 years and it's still going well.  It has a very good setup menu for installing and aligning dishes that actually means something - unlike a Sky box.

From what I read though, they are not only in short supply and are also getting regular software updates to sort out a few niggles - hopefully by the time I'm ready all will be well.

By the way, anyone thinking of getting a freesat box in the UK shortly take care. I've read on other forums that a lot of the large stores in the UK are saying that they can only sell you a box if have the installation as well. So be prepared.

Regards - Tim

Interesting Timco,  about the installation.    What a disgrace.   Shame that something that is supposed to be accessible to all should promptly be the vehicle for salesmanship misinformation.   A lot of people would I imagine already have a Sky installation that they want to "upgrade" (ie dump Sky and go HD the free way) and so have absolutely no need of a new dish installation.

No wonder people get so furious with the multiples.

Martin, Please could you explain the best way to get Freesat up and runng in in France ?  What hardware do I need to buy?  Is it best hanging on for a while yet ?  That sort of thing.  Not having ITV is no loss in my books !!!  But I do miss the BBC !  Thanks.

If all you want is basic standard definition TV from the BBC/ITV/C4 and aren't fussed about a detailed electronic programme guide (EPG) then a €70 dish and terminal numerique from Bricodepot/whatever will do fine.  Also gives you all the radio channels and a host of other odds and ends (some odder than other it has to be said).

If you want Freesat itself you need to go back to the UK (or get someone to do it for you) and buy and actual Freesat box,  this will give you the same channels but with a better EPG and the interactive stuff will all work logically (which it may well not do on a Bricowhatever box).

There are some software issues with the new Freesat boxes and they seem to be in short supply in some places,   so you could always get your dish working with the Bricowhatever box and enjoy that until the dust settles.

At the moment it does look like if you want all the HD stuff then a Freesat box may be necessary but to be honest I don't think anyone's sure about  that yet.  

If I haven't covered everything then please ask!

For me, and a few others who have asked me, it's comes down to HD and PVR. If you want the HD without paying Sky, then freesat is the only way and the same applies for the PVR - the freesat version of a Skyplus box. They've yet to reach the shops but from what I've read, they are likely to be the most in demand.

Tim

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Too true Timco.    We haven't got a PVR yet but I could see that it would simplify recordings,   particularly given our somewhat complex set up which leaves Wendy in total despair if she wants to record.
[/quote]

Marcelle doesn't even attempt it Martin - she 'leaves all that sort of thing' to me! I think it's simple, but there you go.

Tim

[quote user="Clair"]to tape a whole series[/quote]TAPE ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! [:-))]

I love TiVo [kiss][kiss][kiss]

I have 2 of them fed by 2 Sky boxes with a combined total of 270h of recording time [:D]

Sadly they are only available SH now but when you've got one the only thing that will make you change to Sky + is a desire for HD or dual tuners, in all other respects they are superior. I can even programme them from any Internet connection and even download or stream programmes from it although I don't as it would probably get me into big trouble as an abuse of bandwith [;-)]