Assuming that the owner WISHES to share the broadband access, then if the broadband is being distributed by a Wi-Fi router, the PC in the gite needs to be equipped with a WiFi card (ie one that is built into the motherboard or else plugs into it or else plugs into a USB port). Obviously the security on the router needs to be set to allow the gite-based PC to connect. If the router does not provide a wi-fi signal then you either have to get a wi-fi router or add a wireless access point to the router or else use a wired connection between the router and the gite. Regarding a "dongle", you need to be clear about what you mean: some people call a USB wi-fi transmitter/receiver a dongle, whereas the more common use nowadays is to use the term to refer to a device that connects to broadband via the mobile phone network, which is a different matter altogether.

Going WAY off topic: of course, originally, a "dongle" in computing terms was a security device that hung off either a serial or parallel port to allow access to high-value software, as a licensing/anti-copying device

regards

Pickles

[quote user="virginia.c"]Blimey. No chance of me ever becoming a hacker. I've only just got to grips with a livebox (well, when I say got to grips with.........)[/quote]

My explanation only SEEMS complicated. In your case, for Wi-Fi router read Livebox, and then your computer is either plugged directly into it or else if it is a laptop bought in the last few years then the WiFi bit is built in. Simple. The rest of the rubbish I wrote was trying to cover the other eventualities (eg is the OP the owner or gite tenant, why the specific mention of a desktop PC, etc).

Regards

Pickles

So....A wi-fi enabled pc (not laptop) or a pc with (say) a Belkin dongle should be able to access a live box in the same building ...yes...no?

assuming the livebox will allow it, but how does one tell? and how to tell the pc what to do?

(I drive computers, I dont pretend to understand them [:(] )

Any wifi enabled device (laptop, desktop, mobile phone etc) should be able to pick up any livebox, or other router signals within range of it.

Whether or not they will be able to connect to said networks depends on whether they have been security enabled.

I went for a hol to the Alps last year and was in a gite, and managed to pick up a neighbours unsecured network if I sat in a particular spot. Was very handy for downloading emails and catching up on the football results.

A WiFi enabled computer (regardless of what type) will detect the presence of a WiFi router signal provided it's within range.  You just select the router available and enter any password that's been set by the owner and you have instant access to the internet.

When we were camping here prior to our house purchase going through, we'd rock up at our nearest chain motel, pop into reception to buy a WiFi access scratchcard for 10€,  fire up the laptop in the car park, select the available connection (the motel's), key in the password from the scratchcard and bingo.....

EDIT:  Snap, Richard...[;-)]

Many thanks Pickles for a very clear explanation, which has opened the veil of my ignorance!

In this case, the man next door with broadband has offered it to be used if required.

I assume that this could be only be, when the modem next door is switched on and the recipient also has a modem.

Thanks once again.

[quote user="Philouis"]

In this case, the man next door with broadband has offered it to be used if required.

I assume that this could be only be, when the modem next door is switched on and the recipient also has a modem.[/quote]

No you don't need a modem to benefit from next door's broadband as long as he has switched on WiFi on his modem/router, and the WiFi signal is not security protected, which would prevent you accessing the signal - unless he also gave you the password.

Sue

I deliberately broadcast my WiFi to a friend using a WiFi access point, you need to be careful on the security front. This does depend on you location - ie very rural surrounded by farmers no problem. But Scarco's new law does make the owner of the source of connection responsible, in my case I turn the WiFi off when friend is away and young son alone to use my connection.

bon chance

Our wifi signal can be detected from the gite next door but can only be accessed if I enter the guest's laptop MAC address (= laptop ID) into the neufbox.

Similarly, when Mr Clair and I got new laptops, we had to enter each MAC address into the neufbox to access the wifi signal.

[quote user="Stu-le-brew"]I deliberately broadcast my WiFi to a friend using a WiFi access point, you need to be careful on the security front. This does depend on you location - ie very rural surrounded by farmers no problem. But Scarco's new law does make the owner of the source of connection responsible, in my case I turn the WiFi off when friend is away and young son alone to use my connection.

bon chance

[/quote]

I thought that got kicked out?

I've not been on top of the news lately, did it get accepted after all then?

• 1 month later...

When I have visitors (MAC or normal) they get access to my snail ADSL. As I now have modern laptop (refurb present from son - such a lovely boy), I intend to wander round the hamlet to see if the other service on offer is faster. I know Alice is cheaper with the phone calls.

Got to move, Dog wants his PC back - I joke not.

Her indoors