Alice : Migration of E-mail address

I've just received this:

"Votre adresse email est desormais migrée sous notre plate-forme Zimbra.
Vous pouvez desormais vous connecter via l'adresse suivante : http://zimbra.aliceadsl.fr"

Is this legit' (ie happening to all Aliceadsl users) or a scam to make me log on to this zimbra site (which I have not done yet, as these things make me automatically suspect them)?  It came from postmas [email protected]

I've dumped alice but still have an e-mail address from them, thus I'm not kept up to date with what's happening to them.

Zimbra is the corporate email service from Yahoo.  Yahoo have been trying to sell it off for a while now as it didn't come up with the sort of integration it was promised to do.  Looks like they've found Alice to buy the donkey.

Not a scam but no end of trouble in sight I think.

If you don't use you Alice account anymore then I think it best to steer well clear

I have had loads of scam emails supposedly from Orange about my account. Banking details not correct, account has unauthorized access etc, etc. Funny enough I got my real facture yesterday via email.

If in doubt check the 'header' and see where it really comes from. Did it have your name in the actual email, thats a normal giveaway (the fact it doesn't). It would not surprise me if its a scam but just in case log in to your account via the normal website, not the one in the email.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I've just received this:

"Votre adresse email est desormais migrée sous notre plate-forme Zimbra.
Vous pouvez desormais vous connecter via l'adresse suivante : http://zimbra.aliceadsl.fr"

Is this legit' (ie happening to all Aliceadsl users) or a scam to make me log on to this zimbra site (which I have not done yet, as these things make me automatically suspect them)?  It came from postmas [email protected]

I've dumped alice but still have an e-mail address from them, thus I'm not kept up to date with what's happening to them.

[/quote]

Cooperlola,

it is a genuine email from Alice. The webmail service is being migrated to the same system (Zimbra) that FREE uses. Yet another merging of the services of Free and Alice since the takeover. For anyone who does use their Alice webmail it is safe to do so but there may of course be some teething trouble with the new system. Personally, I use Outlook express and back up my old email regularly

yours suspiciously[:D]

Danny

Out of interest I checked the webmail version of my Alice mail,  and before being able to look at the contents I was asked if I wanted to migrate to Zimbra.

I said no and was allowed to proceed,  wonder how long that option will be voluntary.

No sign of an email on the subject though...

I'm unclear,   does this affect such things as Mozilla Thunderbird or do the POP settings stay the same?

Martin, as far as I am aware, this is just a change to the webmail service - i.e. checking your email via the alice web site by clicking on http://webmail.aliceadsl.fr

there is no change to the settings used by email client software on your computer. - i.e like Outlook Express or your Thunderbird. Your mails will still be picked up and downloaded by Thunderbird.

Danny

We have Alice email accounts and MOH started having problems about a week ago. He hasn't been able to download mail. He has been able to access email via webmail but even that didn't work for a short time. He says he doesn't know how they can manage to make such a mess of it.

I hadn't used my m/c for a week or so so don't know if I would have had the same problems. I use Outlook and when I eventually logged on my email downloaded normally.

We have had no notification that the migration was taking place.

I do keep banging on about it I know but IMO it's nuts to tie yourself to any ISP's mail system. Go Yahoo, Gmail, GMX, etc, and set yourself free. You can still use OE, Outlook, or T/Bird if you like.

Yes there is a transition period but the benefits far outweight the inconvenience [;-)]

I have a hotmail address and used another external webmail for FHI.  They both had to be the most cumbersome, irritating things to use on the planet!  I hate webmail with a vengeance and only use it if I have to 'cos I'm away from home.  When I was in hospital I was obliged to access all my mail in this way and it was horribly slow.  Yuk, sorry.

I deliberately didn't mention Hotmail because it is very much the poor relation of the bunch but both Yahoo and Gmail are very capable and eminently suitable for purpose and in any case, once you have set up an A/C you need never actually go direcly there again if you don't want to, just set OE/Outlook/T-Bird, or any other desktop email client to collect and send mail via the POP servers.

Simples [:)]

Splutter, splutter, fume, fume!!!!!!!

We've been unable to use our alice account either from Outlook Express or from their web based service since last Thursday, so in disgust have gone for  a Google mail account which is picked up in OE.

However, I'd like to retrieve a week's worth of emails that might be sitting on Alice's servers.  I've tricked my way in via the Free website, using our old password with 11 characters, dropping off the last character.........and I'm astonished to say it worked.  There were only 3 emails lurking in the Inbox however, so think we may have lost them.

Sorry for this ramble.  The point of the post is - has anyone any clue as to what to set up in OE to collect any mail we might get from alice/zimbra?  I've tried changing the password to 10 characters ie the old one without the last character, and adding zimbra into the incoming and outgoing mail thingies, but i'm still getting error messages.

I despair of Alice!!!

Jan

Hello Jan,

Yes, they are doing themselves no favours by alienating a sizeable number of clients....

They have underestimated the problems they have caused by the changeover of email accounts and not allowing certain adresses or passwords to continue to function.
It seems they have decided to allow the problematic adresses to works now as you discovered by using only the first 10 characters of the password.

It seems you are not alone and that many people are missing emails....

as far as Outlook express goes here are the settings from my PC
click on tools,accounts then double click the alice mail account if you have it already or if you are creating it click 'add - mail'

settings to enter are:
pop - pop.aliceadsl.fr
smtp - smtp.aliceadsl.fr
account name - whatever@aliceadsl.fr
password - I assume that this will be the first 10 characters of your old one.

afterwards, double click on the account to bring up the properties window just to verify. The first tab (General), you should have:

name - whatever you chose
email address - the full address
make sure the box is ticked - Include this account when sending mail or synchronizing

second tab (Servers) should say

my incoming mail server is a  pop3 server
incoming mail POP3 -  pop.aliceadsl.fr
outgoing mail SMTP - smtp.aliceadsl.fr
incoming mail server - full email address
password - as above

make sure remember password box is ticked.

On the advanced tab the outgoing mail box should say 25 and the incoming mail should say 110. At the bottom of this tab you can choose to leave the emails on Alice's server or not.

Good luck

Danny

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Sorry I didnt take the Zimbra option and stayed with Horde.

There is an an OE option for configuration on the your Abonné Personal Configuration page, it sets POP3 etc.

[/quote]

that is the much quicker and also correct response [:)]

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Sorry I didnt take the Zimbra option and stayed with Horde.

There is an an OE option for configuration on the your Abonné Personal Configuration page, it sets POP3 etc.

[/quote]

that is the much quicker and also correct response [:)]

Danny

[/quote]

I didn't opt for Zimbra - they just did it.  Thanks for your settings Danny.  That's just how I have it set up at the moment and it won't work.  Maybe when they've sorted themselves out, they might change their guides on how to set up now things seem to pass via Zimbra.

Jan

did you try the OE configurater thing as PPP suggested...

go to http://console.aliceadsl.fr/ enter your username and password

click on 'mes adresses email' on the menu on the left, click on the button that says - ajouter à 'outlook express'

and....

I just checked that to see if it is working for me and.... when I click on it, it just takes me to the webmail login page!!

So don't bother. The email may work soon. They are trying to get it all going but there is obviously a lot to sort out.

Danny