France and Germany recommending not to use Internet Explorer

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Wow, governments are finally listening to the people. Most have known IE's rubbish for years.[/quote]

The French are quite security conscious, they were the first to ban government staff from using Blackberry phones because of their notorious security flaws as well. Mind you I can't see anyone targeting private users its corporate use that has the problems, nicking data etc. Everything is hackable if you really want to try, just type in hacking followed by your browser name in to any search engine.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Wow, governments are finally listening to the people. Most have known IE's rubbish for years.[/quote]

The French are quite security conscious, they were the first to ban government staff from using Blackberry phones because of their notorious security flaws as well. Mind you I can't see anyone targeting private users its corporate use that has the problems, nicking data etc. Everything is hackable if you really want to try, just type in hacking followed by your browser name in to any search engine.[/quote]

I didnt know that about Blackberry Quillan - I'm due an upgrade later this year and had thought about changing to one of the newer models. Mmmmmm - maybe I'll sit tight. I presently use an iPaq 614C Business Navigator which is a very useful tool but I have no idea if it is any more secure than a Blackberry. It uses IE for it browser of course.

On the browser issue, of course IE is targeted its the biggest and makes the hacker so much greater for having compromised it. The other browsers cannot be that much safer surely. Surely its their limited number use which keeps them safer - for now............ you have been warned [;-)]

Actually if you are that worried I wouldn't use Mozilla either has that is quite prone to hacks what with it having around 25% of the market (IE has around 60%). The least used browser is Opera (1.3%) so I suspect there are less hacks being written for it. Chrome's share is rising an currently around 2.8% of the market and it is being pushed by several big companies, many times I have been downloading software updates and have been given the opportunity to download chrome. Given that a lot of hackers are in Asia and and the current situation with Google I would think its rising on the 'hit' list to be hacked.

I don't have a problem with IE, its what I am used to and as I don't use it for anything really serious it does not bother me although its probably not the best browser in the world but it works. Most anti virus software now comes with different forms of security for IE built in and there are more 'plugins' for it although the only one I like and use is the Google one. The only thing that is annoying is the amount of patches, never, it seems, a night goes by without some security patch geting downloaded for IE8, one appeared last night, I wonder if thats the fix for the latest hack. Good reason to have Auto Updates turned on.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Most have known IE's rubbish for years.[/quote]Each to their own.  Nothing could be more hideous than the appalling Firefox which my Linux based Netbook has saddled me with.  Why does it keep asking me idiot questions? - stupid thing!  Grrr. 

Must give Opera and Chrome a go, I reckon but Firefox I detest - it is seriously cr*p after IE, imo!  I'm never quite sure why people are so rude about IE.  I've never had a virus in my computing life and have never used anything other than Microsoft until the arrival of the Netbook and Linux which I find great for travelling, with the exception of this r*ddy browser.  Many of these problems have to do with the amount of care which people take in opening attachments etc.  I also wonder if one's ISP is to blame on occasions too, as well as one's browsing and on-line purchasing habits.  For instance, I get hardly any spam e-mails (maybe one a week) whereas I know others who seem to get loads every day.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Most have known IE's rubbish for years.[/quote]Each to their own.  Nothing could be more hideous than the appalling Firefox which my Linux based Netbook has saddled me with.  Why does it keep asking me idiot questions? - stupid thing!  Grrr. 

Must give Opera and Chrome a go, I reckon but Firefox I detest - it is seriously cr*p after IE, imo!  I'm never quite sure why people are so rude about IE.  I've never had a virus in my computing life and have never used anything other than Microsoft until the arrival of the Netbook and Linux which I find great for travelling, with the exception of this r*ddy browser.  Many of these problems have to do with the amount of care which people take in opening attachments etc.  I also wonder if one's ISP is to blame on occasions too, as well as one's browsing and on-line purchasing habits.  For instance, I get hardly any spam e-mails (maybe one a week) whereas I know others who seem to get loads every day.

[/quote]

Opera is my personal favourite although I am using chrome as it seems just that bit faster.

I only use Firefox for work as it is the best browser for web site work.