Freesat retune every morning?

For the last few days when we take our Freesat (Humax) box off standby in the mornings, or indeed at any other time, it has done a retune. No channels added and no channels removed. Has anybody else noticed this or are we developing a fault?......................JR 

Interestingly there is a similar bug in the latest Humax software for *Freeview* receivers here in Britain.  Quite a number are demanding to be allowed to search for new channels due to "network changes";  it's complete nonsense and getting to a be a real pain in the .....

Apparently it was a feature put in by the Humax software engineers which is triggering when it shouldn't be.

Now I'm wondering if the software for their freesat boxes is written by the same bunch of muppets who've foisted the dodgy software on the park of Freeview receivers.

But what I'm saying of course is that I don't know.....

Yes -  I have also noticed this on the Humax box.

Two days I let it work away doing seemingly nothing - but today told it later.

More annoying is Sky - I cancelled subscription and now it flashes up you need a new viewing card - what's weird is it does it much quicker and more often on ITV.

Yes, we've noticed this on all three of our boxes.

What's really annoying is that, because I listen to the radio a lot, and having a direct output to a radio, I don't necessarily turn the TV on, and so I've no idea that it's trying to retune - and some of the buttons seem to be inactive during this process.  Many times I've been cursing the remote control and refitting the batteries, before I twig what may be occurring and have to turn the telly on to allow me to instruct the Humax box to do its retune...

Very irritating !

Chris

Apparently there has been a problem at the broadcaster/satellite end.

Work is under way to put it right!

Please see these forums for good Freesat advice:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=c707c63a703fb7980ea6f61e6eaf510b&f=199

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/

This one specially for Humax users:

http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/index.php?s=1d1f6ea614e9cbc54c5327fbfd08986e

This site has news updates for Freesat:

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/

[quote user="RicandJo"]take yer card out dog - if it's expired due to cancelled subscription it's no use anyway! If you take it out the messages will stop.[/quote]

Not true, if you take out the SKY card now you will lose a  few channels  (5, Fiver etc).  SKY are changing their cards which is why you get the message. When SKY have completed the change to the new cards, you will lose those channels until they become free to air.

To get rid of the message just push back up[8-|]

[quote user="nounours"]

[quote user="RicandJo"]take yer card out dog - if it's expired due to cancelled subscription it's no use anyway! If you take it out the messages will stop.[/quote]

Not true, if you take out the SKY card now you will lose a  few channels  (5, Fiver etc).  SKY are changing their cards which is why you get the message. When SKY have completed the change to the new cards, you will lose those channels until they become free to air.

To get rid of the message just push back up[8-|]

[/quote]

You can get Ch 4 and 5 without a card by retuning as "Add Channels" .More info here

The OP said nothing about SKY actually but the other bloke who tagged onto the thread said that he had cancelled his subscription,

"More annoying is Sky - I cancelled subscription and now it flashes up you need a new viewing card" 

I and many hundreds in France have never had a subscription to SKY,  get the same message from time to time.  Everybody who uses an old SKY card to get the extra  free to air stuff through SKY like 5, FIVER Five US on their Sky box, is getting the mesage that the card must be updated to continue receiving programmes, so I repeat. don't take it out unless you want to lose some channels straight away. They will go soon but no need to hasten the event[:'(]

If you need a new Sky white Sky card and you don't have a UK address or whatever try Ebay. I bought mine and although it had already been paired I did a reset and it works no problem. Sure you pay a bit more but hey ho for some of us it's what you have to do (if only to keep 'er in doors' quiet). Just type in to Ebay.co.uk "Sky card white".

@ poohettigrou

I'd take the advice from Humax that "the broadcaster is sending out the wrong information" with a pinch of salt.

As my original reply to the OP said,  Humax have currently got some dodgy software on their Freeview recorders,   and as the symptoms are exactly the same on freesat it's much more likely to be - as I stated earlier - a problem with software written by Humax.    No other manufacuters' boxes on either platform are displaying the same problems.....

But very convenient (and very current in Britain at the moment) to blame a third party if one thinks one can get away with it......

Don't know if its linked or a totally different problem. We have a Panasonic Sky box and for the last three days the main Guide does not work (the first option on the Guide menu). All the others work like News, Entertainment, Films etc. It says "No guide available" - Press Backup to return.

Re my original post looks like from what others are saying that the problem is a software one and no doubt they will sort it out sooner than later. As someone said a bit of a pain if you are only just in time to watch a prog and it decides to do a re-tune. Not usually fast enough to tell it not to and it only waits a few seconds before it does it anyway! I wonder if it does this when in standby mode and it fires up to do a recording that has been previously set up..............JR