I don't know how much store can be set on the following,  but.....

Today we had our fourth visit in as many weeks from engineers of France Telecom to track a complex and intermittent fault on our very long line,  we're 6500 m from the exchange. 

Whilst chatting to them they suggested that by the start of 2011 some sort of "repeater" would be installed at a point midway between the exchange and our village,   in order to boost ADSL speeds  (we only get 512 kbps max and often it runs somewhat slower,  although to be fair this year it's been holding up better than usual).

It seems that some sort of review of all subscribers further than 5000 m from an exchange has been undertaken (I'm not sure by who and at the behest of who!!) and efforts will be put in place to "do something" for us benighted folks with slow ADSL.    They thought 2000 - 3000 kbps (ie 2 or 3 Meg) might at least be a possiblity at our location.

All I can say is WOW!    A change of government AND improved ADSL,  all in the same day.

My stocks of champagne will diminish rapidly at this rate!

I hope it happens but all I can say is believe it when you see it.

Remember you're dealing with a country which struggles to comply with some EU dictated, hence mandatory and legally binding, targets, mains drainage being one example which I think is supposed to be completed by 2012 but will miss by a country mile, so what chance for optional projects.

[quote user="Martin963"]I don't know how much store can be set on the following,  but.....

All I can say is WOW!    A change of government AND improved ADSL,  all in the same day.

[/quote]

You seem confused about where you live. As far as I am aware the French Government is still the same; your adsl line however is in France (and most of us have a far superior speed to that available in rural UK)

[quote user="AnOther"]I hope it happens but all I can say is believe it when you see it. [/quote]

Yes agreed; but having said that IIRC it was part of a speech by Nicolas Sarcozy in 2008 about bringing adsl within reach of everyone in France by hook or by crook. So this could be an attempt to do just that in difficult rural areas. If I find a reference I will post a link.

Edit: Link here.

Sue

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Martin963"]I don't know how much store can be set on the following,  but.....

[/quote]
You seem confused about where you live. As far as I am aware the French Government is still the same; your adsl line however is in France (and most of us have a far superior speed to that available in rural UK)

[/quote]

Ah, how I love a sweeping generalisation !

p

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="AnOther"]I hope it happens but all I can say is believe it when you see it. [/quote]
Yes agreed; but having said that IIRC it was part of a speech by Nicolas Sarcozy in 2008 about bringing adsl within reach of everyone in France by hook or by crook. So this could be an attempt to do just that in difficult rural areas. If I find a reference I will post a link.

Edit: Link here.

Sue
[/quote]

Yes but that promise was for "100% of the country to have ADSL". Nothing about the speed. I have ADSL and it runs at 602kbps at best. Not what you'd call 'blistering'. Still, better than dial-up I suppose.

p

Considering that about the only official definition of broadband (ADSL is the technology and Broadband is what is delivered via it BTW) you're ever likely to find is '128kbps or above and always on' with a nominal 512kbps technically at least you're already 4x ahead of the game [;-)]

Have you paused to considered that those currently stuck on dialup might be at the head of the queue, there are still rather a lot of them too.

We had our new 'repeater' opened about 2 months ago.

We were the last house to get ADSL at 512k, being 7kms from the exchange.

The repeater is 200 metres from our house, we now get 6megs!!!!!

We were told we might get 20megs! LOL

6 is very good, so no complaints.

It will come to most in the next couple of years. Our 'repeater' was the first in the Dordogne, and they have opened up a further 8 since!