Laptops - buy in UK or France

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="nectarine"]  Sometimes it's easier to stick with what you're used to and not make a big fuss about it.[/quote]

I understand your comments about touch typing and integration but surely someone wanting to buy a computer in France but insisting on a qwerty keyboard because that is what they are used to is the one making a fuss?

I suppose the same logic applies to some people when it comes to learning the language of their country [Www]

[/quote]

Am I the only one who gets sick & tired of people who love to lecture everybody on 'integration'?

I don't see wanting to make life easier as 'making a fuss'. I've reached an age where I make conscious decisions about what I'm prepared to invest time in relearning, and getting to grips with an Azerty keyboard is far down my list of priorities.

I use my computers to earn my living and have a number of desktop and laptop machines acquired before and after my move here. I certainly don't want to try and work with a mixture of keyboards or to have extra plug-in boards for my laptops.

As for 'learning the language of their country', perhaps you could explain why my wife (born & raised French, but adult life spent in England) can't be bothered learning to use an Azerty board either.

No I would not be able to explain, why dont you ask her?

I wasn't lecturing or even commenting about integration, I am in no position to do so, having made 100% effort over 5 years and continuing to do so and now speaking good French I have made less than 0% progress, even Mr Le Maire asks his secretary to ask me a question when he is standing right beside me.

My popularity, or to be correct, lack thereof, has definitely not to do with linguistic reasons [;-)]

I dont even need to be a foreigner, just not born in or married to someone in the village and being known to visit and have made friends in either Arras or Amiens.

Basically all outsiders are treated with suspicion and contempt, some more so than others, the worst example other than myself was a young couple in their late 20's, both were born in the village but I guess had done better than most at school, they had then gone on to get jobs and make a life of themselves in Paris.

They were very likeable and interesting people, definitely not boastfull or materialistic and they were really treated like the enemy, I was privy to the things that were said about them behind their backs and it was very ugly.

Chancer wrote "Basically all outsiders are treated with suspicion and contempt, some more so than others,"

I find it strange that you would want to live in a place that treats people in that manner? Norman obviously revels in it, but that's his bag. All I can say is I'm glad that our little French house is in the very friendly village of St Jacques. [:D]

I am with you Nick. I arrived never having learnt French at school, or anywhere else for that matter, not the brightest thing to do. Get a baby (done that, too old now) or a dog somebody told us, you can promenade through the village and thats how you will meet people. Nine years on and by my own admittance my French is no where near perfect but I have lots of friends now and participate in village events. Playing boule and in our case supporting our local rugby team has also helped. I have nothing bad to say about any of the French in my village they are very honest, hard working and generally very nice genuine people, not to forget very helpful if you have a problem. And yes they do put up with my poor attempt to speak French, at least I try they say.

[quote user="NickP"]

I find it strange that you would want to live in a place that treats people in that manner? Norman obviously revels in it, but that's his bag. All I can say is I'm glad that our little French house is in the very friendly village of St Jacques. [:D]

[/quote]

I am where I am for different reasons perhaps to most on the forum, - investment/work, I chose the potential of the property more than the area/people that live here and I have no regrets.

I promenade a lot and make an effort to speak to everyone that I come across which really takes people aback akin to if I had knocked at their door and tried to sell them membership to a Paris health club whilst they were around the table eating.

One common thing that lots of them say to me (without any prompting on my part) is that the Picards are far less friendly than the people in tother areas and usually cite the Nord/Pas De Calais (I am less than 10km from the border), they say it with a kind of pride, I think that the first and second world wars have had some effect on their consciousness.

I find that people who have moved to the area for work (usually a mutation against their wishes) are far more open but having done at least some homework they choose not to live in or around where I am, the lady in the office de tourisme who is a native of Lille tells me how hard she finds it working here, when her mutation was announced her friends told her "tu vas manger ton pain la bas!" - it may have been le pain.

How did you lot get from Laptops to "I'm more integrated than you"? That is surreal.

Glad you don't take snubs personally Chancer. I get the same, but she's also the MiL, so I can live with it[:D]

Missus can't operate an Azerty keyboard either...............which coupled with Albert the IP's evidence would suggest it is either; A) a problem for French people, or B) a problem for women [:D]

[quote user="velcorin"]

Missus can't operate an Azerty keyboard either...............which would suggest it is either; A) a problem for French people, or B) a problem for women [:D][/quote]

Well I can, though I am English but very definitely a woman. [:)]**

** I would put a smilie here, but I can't 'cos I am using FF today and it won't let me.

• 2 months later...
It makes a lot more sense to buy in France; this is the only way you will get coverage under the manufacturer's guarantee. Very important considering the investment. There's a new service at http://Dell4France.weebly.com that helps expats configure UK-spec Dell laptops (and desktops). They have the English Windows 7 operating system, English keyboard (British or American) and English version of Microsoft Office. The computer comes with a French electrical plug and French guarantee and is delivered by UPS to your door in France.

[quote user="pcrepair"]It makes a lot more sense to buy in France; this is the only way you will get coverage under the manufacturer's guarantee. Very important considering the investment. There's a new service at http://Dell4France.weebly.com that helps expats configure UK-spec Dell laptops (and desktops). They have the English Windows 7 operating system, English keyboard (British or American) and English version of Microsoft Office. The computer comes with a French electrical plug and French guarantee and is delivered by UPS to your door in France.[/quote]

This person seems determined to get himself advertised on our forum (I have already deleted 1 such advertising post) so I thought I would do a bit of digging.

Firstly the 'company' is not an authorised Dell reseller in France or the UK.

Secondly, emails from this website go to Anglo Computer Repair and if you check their website they are "a corporation established in the state of Delaware (USA) since 1997".

Thirdly as many of us know and have indeed done you can buy a computer from Dell with an English language operating system delivered to you in France.

Fourthly, who's your warranty with?

There is no address on either of the websites so assuming they are in France why is the 'corporation' established in the US?

So if your considering buying from these people beware, especially if your computer becomes faulty. Who are you sending your money to, theres no address. My best tip is buy direct from Dell, my wife and others have done so with no problem.

Quillan's comments make perfect sense, just be aware that if you buy from Dell direct as I did through the UK official Dell website, you will have to pay a  charge for delivery to France. When I did this a couple of years ago and the charge was £80. Also be aware if you ship it back to Dell for warranty it will be at your cost.

Well, what an interesting thread. It has certainly covered a load! Have you bought a laptop yet MisterC?

I got ours sent over from Blighty by Laptops Direct and paid an extra £30 to have it completely checked before shipping. It is an Acer Aspire with a 17" screen, a numeric keypad and a full International warranty.

It's been a great machine and I am really pleased with it. I had reason to phone Laptops Direct with a query and had excellent service from them. I don't and have never worked for them, just a very satisfied customer!!