The problem with the sort of calls that the OP refers to is that they are often made by a machine that generates numbers automatically and whichever are answered first get a marketing message, usually recorded. The OP's exchange is obviously being targeted by one of these 'services'. Being on list rouge or liste orange will not necessarily prevent them, and because you do not know the number that is ringing, or the name of the company, you cannot report them. Even if you get the message and press the button to speak to a salesperson, as soon as you ask for their coordinées they just cut off the call.

This is how it is in Britain: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/privacy/silent-call/.  Although in theory such calls are illegal there is little that Ofcom or any of the other bodies can do about them. I strongly suspect the situation is the same in France.

We had a phone installed a couple of months ago. As soon as I got the number I subscribed to the liste rouge etc.....

The calls still came though. However, our phone keeps a list of numbers that called us and who should be the guilty party?

France Telecom!

Eventually I got to speak to a real person and they were trying to sell me broadband, which I don't need. So I told them it was only a holiday home and (fingers crossed) we haven't had another call.

We have a phone which displays the number of the incoming call and subscribe to FT's "presentation du numero' service which costs a whole E1.50 a month (ttc).

We've found all the annoying calls (that is, all the annoying calls from people we don't know!) are displayed as 'SECRET' so it's a simple matter of picking up the phone and putting it down again.

It's curiously satisfying!

p