freeseat channel 4 hd

We are in Lot et Garonne. Our "signal strength" is poor. No doubt someone more technically minded will explain why. Our picture pixelates and when it was raining yesterday (Saturday 23 April) we had a blank screen. Unless you can improve your reception (bigger dish etc), I doubt you can do anything about it...sorry

Pete

Broadly people who travel with caravan and motor homes say you can pick up the channels which pay for power and band width in almost all of France with 43 cms. However - south of say Paris 60 cms is worthwhile for for instance Classic FM. My experience was that 80cms gave better signal quality near Limoges than 60 cms and is definitely worthwhile once you are as far South as Bordeaux.

ch 4 HD has been negotiated to be broadcast from Eurobird 1,  which is near - but not absolutely co-positioned - with the other Astra 2 satellites.   In Britain there's little problem,  but as the signal tails off in France it's another matter.

As Anton says,  dish size may need to be increased,   but in addition it's this problem that a lot of installations are optimised for 28.2 deg E and not 28.5 deg E.   So if you have trouble with Classic FM you'll probably have trouble with ch 4 HD.

Re-tweaking the dish can help,  as can slightly undoing the over-skew that optimises reception of Astra 2D (where most of the BBC/ITV/ch 4 SD reside) if you've done that in the past.   ch 4 HD shares the frequency with other channels using the opposite polarisation,  so if you've optimised LNB skew for 2D you may have compromised cross-polarisation rejection for Eurobird 1.

It's all a question of compromise,   but before you all go up ladders I'd suggest that it may not be a situation that lasts for ever,  as Astra 1N is due for launch soon and will be parked at 28.2 deg E to add to narrow band capacity,   and it's generally thought that ch 4 HD on Eurobird is a stop-gap.   So assuming they don't drop 1N in the sea things may change in the not too distant future.