ExpatShield

Sad really as I have lived this long without UK television but I am really tempted to watch the forthcoming progammes "Little Britain" which but for this forum I would be happily ignorant of, I have to say that they have chosen a corker of a title to generate loads of free publicity on forums etc.

Anyway I dont want to re-instate my satellite system as I would spend to much time cheering Judge Judie and shouting at the guests on the Jeremy Kyle show but I do want to be a voyeur of "Little Britain" if only to understand what I am sure will be a flurry of postings on this forum.

Expat shield was suggested, in the past I could not/would not download anything like this as invariably it would cause my old machine to stop dead, I now have a new portable but am still a bit cautious, I have looked at the site but dont really understand what it involves to install this, , is it really safe (I am mefiant of clicking on things that I dont know anything about) will there be any other side etc effects etc.

Can any of you re-assure me or put my mind at rest

I have tried it, but am equally suspicious. It can bring up all sorts of annoying pop-up ads etc, though it didn't actually give me a real virus.

I logged on using Firefox, then switched to Chrome to watch BBC, and for some reason that seemed to avoid the worst flood of pop -ups.

I also kept the various associated services in Windows XP services on manual, and only switched them on when I wanted to use it.

That way I was sure nothing was going on at other times behind my back.

There is a post somewhere from pp  with a list of the services to look out for..

I prefer to use a vpn and have a paid subscription to a provider in the UK (£7 a month or a bit less) but I know you are on an economy drive..

[quote user="Chancer"]

Sad really as I have lived this long without UK television but I am really tempted to watch the forthcoming progammes "Little Britain" which but for this forum I would be happily ignorant of, I have to say that they have chosen a corker of a title to generate loads of free publicity on forums etc.

Anyway I dont want to re-instate my satellite system as I would spend to much time cheering Judge Judie and shouting at the guests on the Jeremy Kyle show but I do want to be a voyeur of "Little Britain" if only to understand what I am sure will be a flurry of postings on this forum.

Expat shield was suggested, in the past I could not/would not download anything like this as invariably it would cause my old machine to stop dead, I now have a new portable but am still a bit cautious, I have looked at the site but dont really understand what it involves to install this, , is it really safe (I am mefiant of clicking on things that I dont know anything about) will there be any other side etc effects etc.

Can any of you re-assure me or put my mind at rest

[/quote]

You trying to get me confused!

I thought it was something to do with ITV and rearing pigs in dordognighshire?

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/littleengland/ep01week37/default.html

Apparently televised on the 12th ...hang around a bit...that is today.

10 pm Central European Time.

I'll check it out on ExpatShield when the Heights of Abraham Summer Concert ends and report back.

http://www.programme.tv/paris-quebec-sous-les-etoiles-3802832.php

Just tried it on last nights Xfactor, works but what an awful programme.

The Xtra Factor

Sunday 11th September 9:00pm Duration: 44 minutes

Olly Murs and Caroline Flack hitch a lift to the auditions with judge Kelly Rowland, go behind the scenes at the judges' glamour shoot, and put viewers' questions to Louis Walsh.

Used it for best part of a year with no real probs except the rather annoying pop ups. I posted an article here a couple of weeks ago which received lots of 'witty' responses when I enquired as to whether anybody else had just began to get pop ups with 'live sex' when watching Expat Shield. Also, I do not know whether the BBC has finally managed to outsmart Expat Shield - we have been unable to watch the BBC over the weekend. ITV & Sky okay.

This is the post I referred to earlier:

The ExpatShield is a bit intrusive with automatic activation on boot

which interferes with my LAN; I seem to have resolved this by

reconfiguring the following to manual activation.

C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\BIN\OPENVPNAS.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\HSSWPR\HSSSRV.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\BIN\EXPATTRAYSERVICE.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\BIN\HSSWD.EXE

But it looks promising nevertheless.

Norman H - how do you reconfigure the files?

The computer I used Expat Shield on was using  French Windows XP

You go into services (in panneau de configuration/ outils d'administration)   don't know what that is in English sorry

look for the services listed

and re-set the options to manual...

After you can start them when you want or stop them, but they don't lurk consuming memory and perhaps communicating .