Moving Windoze to a new computer

I have two HDDs rescued from computers which have become mortibus....

Am I right in thinking that there is now a way of installing a working (and legit) old copy of Windows on a "blank" new machine and getting some sort of authorisation code from Mr Gates so to do....?

Am I right in thinking that one can copy the Windows logiciel onto a new (and bigger) drive rather than having to use the actual drive out of the old machine (which might have old fashioned obsolete connectors for a modern mother board)?

I'm thinking Windows XP specifically.

If some kind soul could direct me to a fool's guide on the internet that would be very helpful.

Thanks. 

(and there speaks the person who has given Linux a try for a year now and still can't do anything other than the basics with it,   pace NormanH!)

Technically it depends if it is an OEM version or not, if it is then it is for the machine (manufacturer) that it came on. If it is not an OEM copy then if you have the original key you can contact Microsoft and they will reset the key at their end so you can install it on another machine and go through they validation process normally. If you don't have the key you can put the HDD in another machine as the 'master' drive, boot from it (in safe mode) and by using the instructions on the link below. Basically if it is an OEM version then it is 'linked' to the mother board so f you change the motherboard then in won't work which is what you are doing in a way.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/findxpkey.htm

The following is a link to the Microsoft website, not the comment from 'Dan', third post down.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/genuinewindowsxp/thread/4de27823-f8af-4771-b405-81b06671dfc8

I have moved a retail copy by contacting Microsoft as mentioned earlier, I contacted them by phone and they were very helpful. Rather than remove the key from their system they gave me a new key and blocked the old one. I had to scan my CD case and email it to them as proof.

There are however plenty of copies of XP that do not require a key and update without problems on the Internet. Illegal yes but if you have a key for a product and it's not in use then technically (providing it is the same version i.e. home, professional etc) it would be hard for MS to prosecute you.

A corporate version of XP Pro which required no activation appeared on the Internet quite soon after the OS was first released and is probably still being used by millions even now. Rumour had it that it leaked from a health UK health authority so MS couldn't black list it as it would have crippled them. Over the years I have come across it on several machines and indeed in very recent times too.

Whilst not condoning or encouraging theft or piracy then since it's no longer possible to buy XP from MS it does beg the question exactly who you might be cheating or stealing from if you did happen on a copy of that and decided to use it.

If you have a legit copy of XP, and have the Key code, then you can get a new (upgrade) version of Windows 8 for just £14.99 from MS UK (or from MS USA). You just enter your old XP Key (or Vista, or Windows 7), and you will get an email with a reduction code from the full upgrade price of £29.99.

You can also get it from MS France for 14.99€, but it will be in French (you can get an English version sent on DVD, see below).

You will need to check that your PC is up to Win8, although when you apply to upgrade MS will check your PC first.

These are download versions and it does not matter that you are in France, if you prefer DVD version they are a little more expensive, I think around £40.

If anyone wants to buy the 'FULL' version of Windows 8 that is much more expensive, although I believe that the upgrade version works on a new or formatted disk anyway!

[quote user="AnOther"]A corporate version of XP Pro which required no activation appeared on the Internet quite soon after the OS was first released and is probably still being used by millions even now. Rumour had it that it leaked from a health UK health authority so MS couldn't black list it as it would have crippled them. Over the years I have come across it on several machines and indeed in very recent times too.

Whilst not condoning or encouraging theft or piracy then since it's no longer possible to buy XP from MS it does beg the question exactly who you might be cheating or stealing from if you did happen on a copy of that and decided to use it.
[/quote]

Some of these are OK providing you don't allow Windows to update as many of the corporate numbers have been removed now so once it updates it will ask you to buy an authorised version. Problem with not updating, and something 'hackers' are well aware of, is that it leaves many security 'back doors' which leaves your system open to abuse by others.

[quote user="crabtree"]If you have a legit copy of XP, and have the Key code, then you can get a new (upgrade) version of Windows 8 for just £14.99 from MS UK (or from MS USA). You just enter your old XP Key (or Vista, or Windows 7), and you will get an email with a reduction code from the full upgrade price of £29.99.

You can also get it from MS France for 14.99€, but it will be in French (you can get an English version sent on DVD, see below).

You will need to check that your PC is up to Win8, although when you apply to upgrade MS will check your PC first.

These are download versions and it does not matter that you are in France, if you prefer DVD version they are a little more expensive, I think around £40.

If anyone wants to buy the 'FULL' version of Windows 8 that is much more expensive, although I believe that the upgrade version works on a new or formatted disk anyway!
[/quote]

That is only for a new PC that you have bought since June that has Windows 7. Otherwise it is £24.99 to upgrade to Windows 8 from XP or later.

[quote user="PaulT"]

[quote user="crabtree"]If you have a legit copy of XP, and have the Key code, then you can get a new (upgrade) version of Windows 8 for just £14.99 from MS UK (or from MS USA). You just enter your old XP Key (or Vista, or Windows 7), and you will get an email with a reduction code from the full upgrade price of £29.99.

[/quote]

That is only for a new PC that you have bought since June that has Windows 7. Otherwise it is £24.99 to upgrade to Windows 8 from XP or later.

[/quote]

You are quite right, although I know of some who have entered their older Key, and got the reduced upgrade price.

That said £24.99 is still a very good price for a MS operating system.

[quote user="AnOther"]Windows 8, who needs it ?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013011/why-you-shouldn-t-upgrade-to-windows-8.html

[/quote]

I was not sure about Windows 8 at first, I have been using it for about 3 months, as a dual boot with Windows 7. However, if you need to upgrade your OS, it is a steal at the current upgrade price. I have now removed Windows 7, and just use Windows 8.

The desktop environment in Windows 8 is similar to Windows 7, and if you get the add-ons (see below), then everything is as you remember it. The 'Metro' screen, which can now be easily dispensed with, is likely to be an advantage if you have a touch screen.

If you read the review you posted, it did not say how easy it is to get to a normal desktop, and then you are similar to Windows 7. You can now get add-ons for Windows 8, some that will boot it straight to the desktop (so by-passing the 'Metro' screen), and others that give you a start menu, and you can choose it to look like Windows 7, Vista or even XP if you wish.

I think for those that are considering upgrading their OS, in my opinion I would go for it, if your PC has the right specification.

I'm old enough to remember the adage 'Never use an even-numbered version of an MS operating system' although DOS 6 was pretty stable. [6]

I think I've used every incarnation of Windows from 3.0 to 7, but I haven't really looked at Win 8, for a variety of reasons. From what I've read so far MS has scored some own-goals in the way it's presented things. The idea that you need to install several third party apps to make it behave in a similar way to earlier versions seems very odd.

Some time ago I decided that rather than staying on the MS upgrade bandwagon I'd make a serious attempt to move over to Linux when I no longer need a Windows environment for professional reasons. With any luck that will be pretty soon.