We have obviously paid our TV licence through our taxe d'habitation every year since owning our holiday home.  However we have received a demand for information every year (8 years) to ask if we have a TV and saying that we need to pay the licence fee.   Is it usual to receive one of these letters each year even though we have already declared that we have a TV and are paying the fee?  Thanks all

[quote user="Mary W"]We have obviously paid our TV licence through our taxe d'habitation every year since owning our holiday home.  However we have received a demand for information every year (8 years) to ask if we have a TV and saying that we need to pay the licence fee.   Is it usual to receive one of these letters each year even though we have already declared that we have a TV and are paying the fee?  Thanks all[/quote]

Yes, it is normal. You only need to respond to the letter if you no longer have a TV ... and then they will still send you the letter every year, after that, and you will have to respond to keep telling them that you have no TV.

I get one of these every year too. One year they charged me anyway and then had to refund it.

If I ever get an internet connection capable of receiving TV broadcasts I will pay it, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

Hoddy

I don't get them but then I tick the box on the Déclaration d'Impôts to say that I haven't got one.

Does anybody else do this and get a letter?

By the way Hoddy if you watch TV on your computer screen as I do (It is a 27" and I sit comfortably) you don't have to pay if you don't have a separate TV.

Is that right, Norman?

I have just received mine, and it mentions not having to pay if you are not equipped with either "un poste recepteur de télévision ni d'un dispositif assimilé".

I always assumed that the latter referred to any equipment that is capable of receiving tv programmes - such as a computer connected to the internet...

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]Is that right, Norman?

I have just received mine, and it mentions not having to pay if you are not equipped with either "un poste recepteur de télévision ni d'un dispositif assimilé".

I always assumed that the latter referred to any equipment that is capable of receiving tv programmes - such as a computer connected to the internet...

Angela[/quote]

It is moving towards a situation where that will be the case.

In 2012 Fillipetti  announced that people who watched on their computers would have to pay, but this was quickly over-ruled By Cazuhac (who has just had to resign)

ake

At the moment there is  loophole; if the screen has no tuner you don't have to pay

However the official site shows that they are aware:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F88.xhtml

and it is only a matter of time

So Norman do you think that all the Kids and of course grown ups with smart phones that can receive TV on line will have to have TV licences. If so there will be a lot of money to be earned by 14 year olds and certain shop keepers in south London, adjusting phones to get round the regulations .[:D] 

[quote user="NickP"]So Norman do you think that all the Kids and of course grown ups with smart phones that can receive TV on line will have to have TV licences. If so there will be a lot of money to be earned by 14 year olds and certain shop keepers in south London, adjusting phones to get round the regulations .[:D] [/quote]

Why would people in France take their phones to south London to be adjusted?

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="NickP"]So Norman do you think that all the Kids and of course grown ups with smart phones that can receive TV on line will have to have TV licences. If so there will be a lot of money to be earned by 14 year olds and certain shop keepers in south London, adjusting phones to get round the regulations .[:D] [/quote]

[/quote]

My smart phone is on SFR and I get TV either when connected via WiFi or GSM although the latter is quite expensive and anyway I prefer to watch i on a proper TV. How do you put a licence on a Mobil device which people may or may not use to watch TV?

[quote user="nomoss"]

[/quote] Well nomos due to the constant bleating from the guru  of bad news lately on this forum in lots of other threads, I just tried to offer a  touch of light hearted humour, but as that obviously passed you by, your absolutely correct no one who is a fully integrated French person would dream of travelling to south London.[:D]