I have tried a search but can't find anything, so here goes.

I am on a L'Eclerc mobile at the moment. A more or less pay as you go thing. I have been looking at Free and their 2€/month job.

http://mobile.free.fr/

Working

on the principle that if something looks too good to be true, etc. is

it as good as it looks? Has anyone any experience of it please?

My kids and wife all have a 2€ sim. They can SMS as much as they want. I think no1 son pays 1€ more for MMS and 3G (but the limit is not a lot, enough for emails etc.). The only draw back is that they can't phone me as I'm outside of France.

Edit: Is Free being bought by someone ? it may change in the future if so

It does what it says on the box! The others are finally beginning to approach the deal that Free brought to the market amongst cries of concurrence déloyale.

You can call landlines abroad with the Free sim, to call mobiles and to use the phone abroad you have to deposit €10 via a debit credit card, not sure if they even took the money. I did it and the phone worked fine in the UK although a texto did take 12 hours to come through, annoyingly the code from Credit Agricole for an on line purchase and they only allow a couple of minutes for you to enter it [:-))]

All the other textos were instant.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

My kids and wife all have a 2€ sim. They can SMS as much as they want. I think no1 son pays 1€ more for MMS and 3G (but the limit is not a lot, enough for emails etc.). The only draw back is that they can't phone me as I'm outside of France.

Edit: Is Free being bought by someone ? it may change in the future if so

[/quote]

I think that it is SFR that is being bought, not Free..

I am quite satisfied for the price. I make few calls butt have it for emergencies and to receive calls including those diverted from my home fixed phone.

There were initial teething troubles with coverage since Free themselves have few masts but have an agreement to use Orange where they need to and there was a feeling that some of the Orange staff felt threatened and were throttling the Free service.

That doesn't seem true now.

I do sometimes find that SMSs take a while to arrive, but have not had problems with calling or receiving though as I said before my usage is limited.

I can't complain as it is free, but even at 2€ it would be a good deal.

Still sounds good!!

Is it possible to transfere home calls to it, a Free mobile that is, from an Orange Livebox? We are on Orange for internet and phone and as we are quite happy with that I don't want to change. Plus, I think they are the only ones in our village?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Is it possible to transfer home calls to it, a Free mobile that is, from an Orange Livebox?

[/quote]

Assuming you use the telephone via the Livebox, you need to organise that via your Orange telephone service

http://assistance.orange.fr/telephone-par-internet-parametrer-le-renvoi-d-appels-3031.php

If you have calls to French mobiles included in your offer (Livebox Play for ex.) then it is free(i.e. gratuit, not Free! ) If you don't have included calls to French mobiles in your contract (Livebox Zen for ex.) then it is not free.

The Free mobile service is excellent.

Danny

PS MMS are now unlimited as well as SMS

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Still sounds good!!

Is it possible to transfere home calls to it, a Free mobile that is, from an Orange Livebox? We are on Orange for internet and phone and as we are quite happy with that I don't want to change. Plus, I think they are the only ones in our village?

[/quote]

Try SOSH, they are Orange's low cost option, and you can currently get Mobile + Livebox (2 Hours Mobile Calls, Unlimited SMS & MMS + Home Internet & Telephone, same as Orange with free calls etc.) for 24.99€.

I could really benefit from some of these packages where everything is combined and you just pay one fee every month, life would be so simple.

The problem is (and there is always a problem somewhere) that unless you are in a big town or city you can't always have what you want because certain 'bits' are not available.

Where I live I can only get an SFR mobile phone signal. Down the road when I visit my friend you can only get Orange. My Internet supplier is Orange, I have been with them for years and don't want to change. I have always had good service from them and the couple of problems, well three over 12 years, have been sorted very quickly and on one occasion they even biked a new router to me. I know they are not the cheapest just like I know others have had horrendous problems with them but I have not so I suppose it is customer loyalty that keeps me with them. So if I could get the same level of service and be able to combine everything into one package and it was cheaper than I pay now I would jump at the chance but sadly there isn't.

I do have one small question for anyone who has changed from Orange to Sosh, do you keep your Orange email address?

Well, I just bit the bullet and signed away the small fortune of 2€/month on that Free goodie. The rest of the fortune was spent on our very first smartass phone [:-))] and a case to protect it!!

Yet another steep learning curve [:$] I'm getting too old for all this new stuff [:(]

They do not appear to do a plan without a mobile phone and we will have to pay 5 Euros extra for the TV. On the other hand being an SFR mobile phone user I can match my current Orange package via SFR for 19.99 per month. Trouble is the SFR technical support I am told is not that good and I have read on the forum that cancelling even after your initial contract has expired can be difficult.

[quote user="Quillan"]They do not appear to do a plan without a mobile phone and we will have to pay 5 Euros extra for the TV. On the other hand being an SFR mobile phone user I can match my current Orange package via SFR for 19.99 per month. Trouble is the SFR technical support I am told is not that good and I have read on the forum that cancelling even after your initial contract has expired can be difficult.[/quote]

As you posted in this thread about Free mobile so I assumed you wanted a mobile line. SOSH include a mobile SIM card with all their forfaits, but you do not have to purchase a phone, you can use their SIM in your current phone, if it is unlocked.

You are correct about their TV being an optional extra, 5€ per month. If you don't need the Orange TV though then it saves you money.

• 2 weeks later...
Right, I am now the proud (?) owner, well the owner, of a Motorola Moto G and it's a nice bit of kit from what I can see, but I still haven't had chance to try any calls on it because free.fr have not delivered my new simm card. 13 daze and counting?

Anyone any idea how long they take to sort it out please? My L'eclerc money is about to run out and I'm not putting any more onto it.

They may be called free, but slow would seem a better name?

Quick edit :  -  My L'ecerc money has run out!!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Right, I am now the proud (?) owner, well the owner, of a Motorola Moto G and it's a nice bit of kit from what I can see, but I still haven't had chance to try any calls on it because free.fr have not delivered my new simm card. 13 daze and counting?[/quote]

Mr Clair's new SIM from Free took 2-3 days to come through.

(He installed it in his new Moto G!)

My Leclerc credit is down to 2€ and I'm about to switch over to Free too...

I am now in the situation where our alarm company have my mobile number both as a primary for us and a keyholder for friends, who are away now. The L'eclerc simm is not operating and I still don't have the free.fr simm card.

Apart from the multiple stages of tappis une or deux for god knows where does anyone have any idea how to get through to these people and ask where the dammed card is? I am now wondering if they have lost my details? How can I check, any ideas please folks? They don't appear to be contactable by e-mail?

John, You should have received several emails including one with the login and password details of your account.

You can follow the adavancement of your subscription on there

https://mobile.free.fr/moncompte/index.php?page=home

There may even be a link to report that a sim card is not received - I can't remember.

Otherwise, calling 3244 is the best option I could find - unless you want to send them a letter!

https://mobile.free.fr/contact.html

Danny

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Apart from the multiple stages of tappis une or deux for god knows where

[/quote]

As far as a search tells me, it seems that the correct number is " taper 3 - pour toute autre question" that should enable you to speak to a person....allegedly [:-))]

Danny

Ta Danny, but I tried the 3244 number for the second time and the first 3 options there was only 1 or 2. From there on it all went downhill until I was dumped out of the other end with a disconnected beep beep beep etc.

The experssion 'as user friendly as a cornered rat' comes to mind [:-))]

I even tried the etrangeur 01 number and it more or less told me to sod off 'cause I am in France and it said so in French.