Spotty Boyfriend needed

Unless you have several homes lined up already PLEASE, PLEASE think hard about having a litter from your dalmatian.  They often have up to 14 puppies and are very difficult to sell in France.  There are many dalmatians already in welfare and if you want to see what happens to some of them look on the French dalmatian forums. 

I'm sorry if I sound preachy but as a lifelong dalmatian owner and former breeder (I don't breed in France precisely for the reason that I couldn't find enought homes) I've seen what happens to these poor dogs when they are not in the right hands.  I'm sure you are a kind and caring owner and if you really feel you want to go ahead please make sure the potential mum and dad are BAER tested (PEA in France) for deafness and that the puppies are tested too.  If you want any info on testing centres feel free to pm.

I know it is none of my business but having rescued one of my dalis from this forum (ask Mme Animal about Trevor - that's him in my avatar) and being actively involved in the breed I feel I have to say something as I've seen quite a few people get into a real mess when they can't sell their puppies - and I can only look sadly on at most of the unwanted ones.

One of the saddest sights I have seen since being here was at a puppy fair (I only went because it was literally at the end of my road!).  There was a cage shoved at the back of a row of others with a few small cross breeds in it and 2 or 3 dalmatian pups.  I couldn't work out why the had mixed the cross breeds and the pedigrees and then I realised.  The dallies had hardly any spots on them and as such were not desirable specimens of the breed(how cross does this make me?????)  I felt so so sad for them and wondered what kind of future they could possibly have (simply because of the lack of a bit of pigment).  Really I was glad we had not yet bought our house as I would have been strongly tempted to buy the lot, which would not have been sensible as I already have enough to cope with with what I have got already.  However I still wonder sometimes what must have become of them.

As I have said on here before.  I don't mind if people breed but only on the condition that they do as my deerhound's breeder did and insist that if I am ever unable to keep him, he can be returned to her.  That way you can ensure that the lives you have created and should always be responsible for, never end up in the dogs' home.  If you can't do this, then don't breed.

What a fab site for anyone wanting to rescue a dalmation and if that does not put off ANYONE even THINKING of breeding dalmations then I don't know what will..................

From someone who has just rescued her SECOND English setter.....!!!!! (crackers, I know!!!)

Nothing wrong with them - they are wonderful - BUT they are large (30 kg males) very, very, energetic breed who were designed to run 25 miles a day behind a coach.  They don't, therefore, make an ideal pet for those who are out at work all day.  They are super intelligent and so get up to mischief if bored and they drop white hair everywhere all of the time.  They are also the cutest puppies so many people fall for them without taking their physcial needs - lots of space, time and exercise - into consideration.  When the cute 5kg puppy turns into a  28kg hooligan at adolescence because no-one has bothered to train him, then he finds himself unloved and unwanted.  I've worked for Dalmatian Welfare for 30 years - believe me it is very sad.

[quote user="Cerise"]

Nothing wrong with them - they are wonderful - BUT they are large (30 kg males) very, very, energetic breed who were designed to run 25 miles a day behind a coach.  They don't, therefore, make an ideal pet for those who are out at work all day.  They are super intelligent and so get up to mischief if bored and they drop white hair everywhere all of the time.  They are also the cutest puppies so many people fall for them without taking their physcial needs - lots of space, time and exercise - into consideration.  When the cute 5kg puppy turns into a  28kg hooligan at adolescence because no-one has bothered to train him, then he finds himself unloved and unwanted.  I've worked for Dalmatian Welfare for 30 years - believe me it is very sad.

[/quote]

I agree with the abundance of white hair , my hoover is full of the stuff , but I wish some would let my gal know about being energetic !! She dosnt know the meaning of the word, now adays when I say walkies its a rush for the sofa not the back door anymore since we lost the big lad[:(]

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/pads_03/IMG_3613.jpg[/IMG]  

Thanks for your answers you all, I think I get the pic better.. But it is often the case with various breeds, people have a pup and ignore what the needs of the dog will be, his specificities, etc..

I got a big dog, looks like a labrador but much taller, ( husky X labrador) , he is full of energy , but very friendly to all people and animals, he loses his hair very much as well, and he needs exercising regularly.

Everything is fine with us because I WANTED that sort of dog, one that woulmd force me to go and exercise when I would have been a bit lazy, but I often think he would have been in danger of being abandonned with a family that wouldn't have known about what a big dog he would become. ( about 40 kilos)

Anyway, he says I'm lying and would be very happy to meet yur gal [;-)]

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/knackered.jpg[/IMG]  [:D][:D][:D]