snares

In the UK there is a big anti-snare campaign led by the RSPCA and many other groups. Self locking snares, where the snare gets tighter and tighter every time an animal struggles, are illegal in the UK, (I want put pictures on here, but a google search will give you plenty, sadly) but still used. what is the situation in France?

no I am not French and I do not live in France - so this is what a forum is for. Ask advice and questions from people who know better- or opinions too- especially of people who live there. thank you

PS. somebody started a scam post on another forum about a dog found in a garage - then showed a picture of a fox in their garden. The fox clearly had a severe constriction on their tail- which could easily be a snare (the fox having been able to chew off the cable and escape). This made me think of snares and the situation in France. I request the right to ask. Thank you again. May I ask the reason for your reaction.

There are many people on here who speak/read/write French and still use the Forum as an addition to their own research. I would be particularly interested to hear from people who are involved in an anti-snare campaign/movement- or anybody who has experienced/witnessed the effect of snares.

I cannot Google personal experience or exchange and this is a FORUM.

Our farmhouse in Switzerland is about 500m from the French border, but the wildlife that visit us are oblivious to borders. When we go for a walk or cross country run or on a mushroom hunt we rarely know which country we are in.

BaF must have got out of bed the wrong side today.............[:D]

I don't know the law in france appertaining to snares, but I've seen them for sale in the gun shop.

On the odd occasion I see one when dog walking I always destroy it as a matter of principle.

Barbaric and cruel.

on boiling a frog's advice, I have done a bit of Yahooing - apparently self-locking snares are legal in France, but you need to do a course before being given a licence. Which course will ensure discrimination between your cat or dog and a fox. And which course will stop a pet or wild animal being slowly cut in half by a snare? Whilst researching I came across many other legal traps which will maime and seriously injur. Dreadful stuff.

My local farmer will shoot a rogue fox if needed. I can understand that if he has to protect his livestock. He is a good shot and never misses.

[quote user="odile"]on boiling a frog's advice, I have done a bit of Yahooing - apparently self-locking snares are legal in France, but you need to do a course before being given a licence. Which course will ensure discrimination between your cat or dog and a fox. And which course will stop a pet or wild animal being slowly cut in half by a snare? Whilst researching I came across many other legal traps which will maime and seriously injur. Dreadful stuff.
My local farmer will shoot a rogue fox if needed. I can understand that if he has to protect his livestock. He is a good shot and never misses.
[/quote]

How can a licence help? once set, an inanimate snare cannot discriminate between any animal that is unfortunate enough to find itself  ensnared?

One of our cats had a wire from a snare wrapped round her middle last year; we were not sure how long she had had it as she is very long haired, luckily there was no real damage, but it was very tightly on her and quite a job to cut off. They are nasty vicious things and when we told our neighbour about it, who owns all the farmland around us he was very angry and shocked - he had no idea who could have set it. 

All snares sold in the UK have anti locking devices on them to prevent said snare tightening and causing undue suffering. Also snares are set at certain heights to avoid capture of animals of which they were not intended, for example, badgers move with their chins on the ground therefore will not get caught in a snare set for a fox ( different height ) which are set about 10 cm above ground level, whilst this may not make things more palatable it certainly defines the uses of a snare and also their intended victims.

I do not set snares or advocate their use but have a certain knowledge of them gained from a previous working life.

As to the original question i would imagine the same or similar laws apply in France, after all they are and do conform to european laws.

[quote user="sharkhunter"]All snares sold in the UK have anti locking devices on them to prevent said snare tightening and causing undue suffering. Also snares are set at certain heights to avoid capture of animals of which they were not intended, for example, badgers move with their chins on the ground therefore will not get caught in a snare set for a fox ( different height ) which are set about 10 cm above ground level, whilst this may not make things more palatable it certainly defines the uses of a snare and also their intended victims.
I do not set snares or advocate their use but have a certain knowledge of them gained from a previous working life.
As to the original question i would imagine the same or similar laws apply in France, after all they are and do conform to european laws.
[/quote]

I realise that in an ideal situation a person that lays a snare would strangle or entrap the exact creature  he wanted. But in the real world they do not discriminate if an animal gets caught in one.

Why not leave the animals alone.

I realise that in an ideal situation a person that lays a snare would

strangle or entrap the exact creature  he wanted. But in the real world

they do not discriminate if an animal gets caught in one.

Hi Dog, strange as it may seem but you have just answered the question yourself, the snare in fact does trap/ensnare the animal, however by being anti lock it then offers the opportunity to release the animal that is wrongly trapped, albeit stressed.

It is the people who remove the anti locking device that are at fault and cause the the death of animals in traps that they were not intended for.