Beautiful Tricolor Shetland Sheepdog - Free to a good home

It is with deep sadness that I must offer my little Shetland Sheepdog free to a good home.

She is a delightful little thing, a wonderful dog, completely house trained, beautiful and full of love.

She was born in Russia, but imported into France when she was a pup by breeders. She has been spade and she is 9 years old.

She is fully up to date with her injections and has been chipped.

She's very healthy, happy and would suit perfectly more mature people than a younger family. I say this because she is not great with children. When I say not great, once she knows them, she is very loving as long as they are loving to her.

She is quite timid and can nip children, especially if they run around a lot. This is why I would prefer to her to be rehomed with someone who doesn't have children.

I am going to be absolutely gutted to lose her, but I am going to be moving to America within the year and my new life will have a couple of children in it. I will be taking my other dog with me, but alas, Abby Rose cannot come.

I am in dept 36, Indre please pm me for more details and pictures.

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/blueblarg/abbyrose-1.jpg[/IMG]

Poor dog, I don't really understand why you can't take her if you are

taking another dog. Maybe the children you mention (so long as they are, to quote you, 'loving') just need a bit of

training and then you could take her?

What will you do if no-one takes her in before you go?

If all goes well with my visa, I will be leaving around December time.

She is fine with cats, very interested in them in a fascinated type way. She's staying with friends at present and they have a larger dog and a cat and there are no problems whatsoever.

I'd imagine she'd be similar with chickens, but I've never seen her with them.

And the third question, where I am going to also has an incredibly crazy labrador, and I know she would be totally freaked out by him too. And the house really doesn't have room for 3 dogs, 2 children and 2 adults.

I will also contact the breeder where I got her from to see if they'll have her back as a last resort or know through their many contacts of someone who would want her.

There is a little time on my side, and as I say I will be very sad to see her go, but sometimes in life, sacrifices have to be made. I've already made heaps the past year or so :(

I asked you what you would do if no-one would take her.

Your reply that "

I will also contact the breeder where I got her from to see if they'll have her back as a last resort or know through their many contacts of someone who would want her" is inadequate. I asked what if......you haven't replied.

Maybe you don't want to think about the dog ending up on death row at an SPA, sacrificing her life for you? Maybe the 'crazy labrador' (or should that be untrained labrador?) could be abandoned instead of her?

I'm not judging, merely asking the question and not pussyfooting around the issue.

Some owners for whatever reason(s) leave their pets behind when they go on holiday or move, some don't worry about them, others do. We on this forum have no idea into which camp you truly fall. We still don't know what you are going to do IF push comes to shove when your visa or whatever comes through.

If you wish to take offence at my comments that's fine by me, my shoulders are broad and I can cope.

Well, the last thing I will do is take her to a dogs home.

If push comes to shove, I do have someone who will look after her temporarily until a home can be found for her.

But, I couldn't live with myself to have her destroyed.

I have 4 months to find her a new good home, I do not expect it to be a massive problem, but rehoming her properly is my priority.

OK, that's fine as far as it goes but what happens 2 months down the line if her 'temporary' carers run into problems (health, accident, family duties, money or whatever) and can't keep her? What would you do then? Come back to get her?

Yes I AM being persistent!

[quote user="Polly"]OK, that's fine as far as it goes but what happens 2 months down the line if her 'temporary' carers run into problems (health, accident, family duties, money or whatever) and can't keep her? What would you do then? Come back to get her?

Yes I AM being persistent!
[/quote]

That is a ridiculous reply and applies to all of us who have pets and, yes, including you Polly!

I'm not being ridiculous Christine. You surely see it more than most: pets shoved off on to temporary carers so the owners can 'tick that box' and move on. Not much different to tossing them out of a car or tying them to the SPA gate unless they follow through the rehoming process.

The OP has replied to my question so as far as I'm concerned that's the matter closed.

I'm sorry (well I'm not actually, but I'm trying to be polite) but I find your responses far too glib and quite insulting to the OP. This gentleman has the chance of a new start in the USA and is doing his very best to re-home a dog that may be lovely but also has her 'little quirks' for want of a better expression (nipping children is not a trait everyone would want in a dog). You know nothing about him yet you presume to judge his motives, and the possible outcome, before he has even had an opportunity to find a home for his little dog.

It is not often I post in this section but I really feel that responses such as yours are what make people avoid this forum and this section in particular.

[quote user="Polly"]I asked you what you would do if no-one would take her.[/quote]

S/he doesn't have to reply. Nor do you have to be able to judge someone

before you offer help or at least verbal support. And how it can be any

better to suggest a different dog (the crazy labrador) is abandoned instead? I find such a

suggestion quite bizarre and, frankly, unbalanced.

As the OP observed, there often have to be compromises in life and they

aren't always easily arrived at. Mr CdeL has getting on for four months

to find his dog the right home so perhaps that should be the focus. 

On behalf of Polly, I have seen some of her posts and know she is a caring person. I don't want to speak for Polly but perhaps as with me when you see a post like this, it is just so heart breaking and there was an emotional response. I have to admit I was thinking what Polly wrote.

I think given that there have been so many recent tragic stories about people going back to the UK and abandoning their dogs and worse many being killed, it is easy to jump to a snap conclusion. Seeing the photo of this dog just pulls at the heartstrings even more. [:(]

As discovered, it obviously isn't the case with the OP and this lovely little dog. Just hope she can find a loving home soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This dear little thing is still looking for a home - she would make a lovely companion for a family without small children.  She can't help being afraid of small ones - I know a couple of mine cower when the grandson arrives and HE'S well behaved with the dogs!  The shrill pitch of tiny voices and their constant sudden activity can be hard for some dogs to deal with and the odd nip happens.  She's nine years old and needs a bit of a quieter life where she can show how kind and good natured she actually is.  She is very beautiful..!

[IMG]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab161/squarepeg2010/_MG_4845.jpg[/IMG]

An emotive issue and yes, peoples emotions do run over and admit my initial thoughts were 'how could you abandon your dog'.

Thinking wider do not humans do this to humans - i.e. the divorce. Possibly people growing apart, which is not so bad, but on the other hand finding that someone has been having an affair and wants to live with the other person. Very often this means that the mother is left to struggle to bring up children and keep things together.

In the news in the UK this week there has been a case of someone getting their dog out of the car, walking a little way with it and then running back to the car and driving off.

Richard is not doing that and I agree people should be positive in their help and not be condemning.

Best of luck finding a home

Paul