A new member of the family

Rob Roy

We have just acquired (this evening) a new member of the family. All the excitement was very tiring!

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/DSCF0868.jpg[/IMG]

I hope this works - it's the first time I've tried to post a picture[8-)]

His name is Billy, and he was born on the 10th April, so not quite 3 months old. We got him from a couple who hae the parents and he was in a litter of 10. All the others were sold, but because he had a poor hip score when examined by the vet they decided to give him away rather than have someone buy him, then complain or give him to a rescue centre. We already have two labradors, one of whom, Jet,  is 14 at the end of this year and I'm told (by my OH) we are thinking ahead to when Jet is no longer around (Have I got M U G written on my forehead??[:-))]. Actually he's adorable!

He is a good size for his age, the bag behind him is sort of attache case size (slightly larger than A4 paper). He just fell asleep where he was!

I'm not sure about that Dick.

Any photos from photbucket that were taken on my camera are so big they have to be reduced by at least 50%.

If your photos are in photobucket, RobRoy, you could try doing that.

Each photo stored there has an 'edit' function just above it, which, when clicked gives you 3 options to 'resize' your photo. The default is set at 50% (of the original size).

I suspect other image hosts have similar size reduction facilities - just play around a little. [:)]

[quote user="Rob Roy"]Oops, the picture is a bit big - how do I reduce it?[/quote]

Your puppy is loverly. What are you going to call him ? and yes mug may be a good as anything name, I try that one with my hubby and it always works.[Www] 

Ask cassis about resizing your photo he is sooooooooooo[8-|] clever at telling people how to deal with their photos he taught me all i know.  

just remenber how cute he is when you wake up to piddle all over the kitchen floor and your best slippers chewed( thats the puppy not cassis)

take care

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been trying to get all the papers marked for the childrens' English tests (I have been teaching primary school English on a temp basis in Brive).

I am going to try putting another picture of the fierce hound on here and see if I have resized it better. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice regarding that.

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/DSCF0870.jpg[/IMG]

I must say that he is a little sweetie, and so far has been no trouble. The wife of the young couple who own his parents works with my neighbour and she said her husband was in tears the next morning when Billy was not in the house! And he's supposed to be a tough farmer!

He's beautiful. Now I want a puppy.[:D]

If his hips aren't all that one might desire, keep the weight off him (ie, keep him slim) when he's full grown and that'll help his hips. Labs, as you may be discovering, are serious eaters (once described as the support system for a stomach) so you do see a lot of overweight labs around. It's no good for them generally and certainly not if the hips are a bit square peg in round hole. We had a lab like that years ago - but he got to 13 with little trouble.

Rob Roy

I have had lots of labradors as I foster/rescue them from time to time.  I'm down to two at the moment.  They are amazing dogs - so loyal and obedient.  I have one with brain damage and even she is reliable.

Enjoy puppyhood - it passes so quickly.

pads, either you have got the best eyesight of anyone I have ever met (virtually) or I'm going blind!!  All I can see is a wall, blue shutters & what looks like a bike!!  just gone back for another look & that's it!!  I'm going to get my eyes tested, again!!!  [blink]

p.s. the puppy is gorgeous - more pictures, please!!!!! 

[quote user="ali@ards"]

pads, either you have got the best eyesight of anyone I have ever met (virtually) or I'm going blind!!  All I can see is a wall, blue shutters & what looks like a bike!!  just gone back for another look & that's it!!  I'm going to get my eyes tested, again!!!  [blink]

p.s. the puppy is gorgeous - more pictures, please!!!!! 

I think i might be the one who needs glasses only cathy can say[:)]

Pads

I have just seen your question about a dalmation.  It does look like one on the left hand side but, Ali is right, I'm afraid that it isn't.  I took the picture on the day that I was clearing the attic above the chai and I think that the black & white image are some things that I found.

I'm a labrador person.  I love them to bits but dalmations come high on my also-rans list!

[quote user="catalpa"]

He's beautiful. Now I want a puppy.[:D]

If his hips aren't all that one might desire, keep the weight off him (ie, keep him slim) when he's full grown and that'll help his hips. Labs, as you may be discovering, are serious eaters (once described as the support system for a stomach) so you do see a lot of overweight labs around. It's no good for them generally and certainly not if the hips are a bit square peg in round hole. We had a lab like that years ago - but he got to 13 with little trouble.

[/quote]

Don't worry - we have had labradors for the last 13 + years and know they are food hoovers if they get the chance. However we have always been strict about their diet (although they do get the odd treat, naturally[;-)]). Our oldest dog, Jet (black of course!) , is going to be 14 in December and can still clear the fence or a 4 foot gate if he decides to go for a ramble!! His brother, who was yellow, died last July and is buried at the bottom of the garden. He was ill for several days and Jet never left his side - it was heart wrenching to watch, as was the pining when Amber died. We therefore got Teddy - as a rescue dog - a gorgeous 5 year old yellow labrabor whose previous owner had beaten him, including hitting him with an axe just above his left eye where he still has a scar[:@]. Amazingly he is a gentle, good tempered dog, although very strong, and has shed some weight since coming here[:)]. Jet and Teddy are still working out whether Billy is worth bothering with - at the moment they treat him as what he is, a pesky child[8-)]