Indoor Cats/Outdoor Cats?

Monika

I wonder if anybody has experience in having cats as Indoor Cats in one place and Outdoor Cats in another: Let me explain, my daughter in law is bringing her Indoor Cats to us over Christmas. However here they could be let out, no road in sight only lots of lovely forest (no hunters, this is in England!) and we even have a cat flap?

Cats are normally very wary when in a new place so i wouldn't think that they would venture far, especially if they are not used to being outside. I would give them a day or so to settle being in a strange house first though. Otherwise maybe your daughter could train them to be on a harness??

I've no experience with having an indoor cat though.

I think it depends on the cat. Which isn't very helpful really. [:D] Some cats seem to have an immediate sense of location. They can be let out on arrival at a new house and they will explore but return to the house. Others, like one of mine, will have no flaming idea where they are but on liberation, leg it at speed towards the nearest interesting undergrowth - and I doubt his ability to return to a new location. If a cat  is spooked by something once it is a short distance from the house, it may bolt in the opposite direction, then be confused and get lost. If the cats are not used to going out, they may be more easily spooked than a more field-wise cat. Anyway, unless there's a cat flap at their home, you'll have to teach them to use one and that can take time. One of ours still hasn't figured it out and it's been installed for a month now.

Before letting them out, you could get them used to a particular sound for a few days - we have a bell that we ring (loudly) when we want our cats in and then they get a treat for returning. Pavlov's Chats. When your daughter's cats do go out, keep summoning them back with the bell (or whatever). Then they'll get used to returning to the house from wherever they're exploring and probably not get disoriented in an emergency.

Thank you all for your useful answers, I will print them all out and let my daughter in law make the decision. I am tempted to let them out, especially with getting them used to a certain sound (bell, rattling of biscuit box, as suggested), but I agree, they could just get lost and that would be terrible expecially as they are not street wise.

You don't say (I think) how long the cats are visiting for - unless it's for more than at least a month, I wouldn't even consider letting them out for all the reasons mentioned above.  Just imagine how awful you would feel if one of them went out and never came back....  Make sure the catflap is locked and all exits monitored, and they will have a lovely safe holiday.

Chrissie (81)

I think it definately depends on the cat.  Our cat is equally at home in one of three locations - France - he sleeps inside or on the balcony and goes in/out/in/out (no cat flap so we get fit!!!)  In Canterbury he lives in a flat and only has been out once (when he fell out of the window - only pride hurt gladly) and at my parents where he has a cat flap and garden with 6ft fence (which he is unable to jump up due to never being able to jump!). He goes between the three places with ease - but he only started his travels at 13 and knows that home is where the Felix is.

(He also loves cuddles and when passing him over to my parents at a service station almost succeeded in getting out of his basket, as he was so glad to see them - I think it was the thought of having time in the garden that made him so crazy.  He was quiet on my section of the journey, then told my parents all sorts of stories on the way to their house!!!!)

Sadly we do travel with a mesh baby gate as he can open cat flaps, and he can't get out through the baby gate!  I must look sad loading the car for travelling...

Margaret