Any problems with bringing pet parrots to France

jugadorone

Parrot "Not sure you lot would laugh so much if you had to spend all your lives sitting on bloomin' perches. Who gives a stuffed parrot what country I am in? A perch is a perch is a perch and it swings the same wherever I am. Well, apart from Australia where we hang the other way up. Bird-poo to the lot of you!"  

Somehow I fear you may lack the cultural references to 

a. posting on the web in capital letters which is rather infra dig

and

b. parrots in British humour, at least to people of a certain age. Would it be reasonable to presuppose that you could perhaps be from the other side of the Atlantic in some way? To make up for my previous levity I will fill in some of the gaps: The story of the Norwegian Blue is a sad one and is the reason why so many countries banned their importation. Apart from a few references, the general view is that they may be extinct, having been driven to this state by the demand for their tail feathers by, I am ashamed to say, warriors from my own African country in the immediate pre-independence period, anxious to replace the long-tailed weaver bird feathers whose environment they had completely ruined in the hunt for beetlenuts, the nuts being the staple diet of the bird in the mating season. My countrymen used to use the feathers in their own intimate pre-nuptial ceremonies in those days. We now know better of course.

Doubtless if you can prove that your parrots are not Norwegian Blues you will have few problems. No doubt a vet can do this. Perhaps you should ask to be on the safe side.

Regards, woolybanana

Ah, you'll have to see my second who is Desparrot Dan, from Desparrato City. And it will be descarrots at dawn.  How did you get on with the Norwegian Blue? 

By the way, others seem to think it may not be that simple to bring your birds to France. If I'm in town next week I'll ask my local vet, though he usually has his hands up cows backends.

Course if you are Merican....

Our Parrots are not Norwegian Blues, they are U.S. citizens ..2 are democrats and 1 is a Republican but he claims he did'nt vote for Bush but i dont believe him.  As far as the Flu, i cant tell.  Have you ever tried to get a rectal thermometer up somethings butt that has a can opener attached to his face?                                                  Really,  they are 1 african grey and 2 small conures and i dont believe the avain flu should be a factor,   they havent been out of our house in 10 years.

My vet told my ex wife to lock up her parrot during the last outbreak as the disease spread through proximity and she used to run a sort of soup kitchen for all the old birds in the area. Amazing what turned up, even what she later discovered was an escaped cockytiel, though she had lost her head feathers, bald as a Belgian policeman. As for the thermometer, well, the local vet was very young and enthusiastic and anxious to get business. Actually the old parrot rather enjoyed it judging by the look on its her face. Removing the vets finger I mean. But the point abouit pschitticosis may mean quarantine, probably high in the Alps in winter.

CITES is another problem. There is a certificate you can get but I can't remember its name. I'll try and find out.[geek]

Ah, but aren't these non-European parrots maybe coming from Nigeria? Not UK parrots you see Quilllin.  Different kettle of fish are those. Need certificates of proof. Of all sorts. Need family tree too. Well, branch at least because they could be disguised illegal parrots. Disguised parrots what are CITES type one, whatever the owner says. Nigerian Blue, could be you see.

Being of a curious disposition I wandered into the local vets just now. Very modern, go ahead and frankly she is drop dead gorgeous. Anyway, I asked the question in several ways, depending on where the parrots are going to be coming from, owner's nationality and CITES status. The poor love went pale, then rose to the occasion and is contacting the appropriate office. May take a day or so.

It would help if one knew whether the parrots are in the EU or not at present, whether they were purchased in the EU and whether they already have various certificates of origin etc.

After this, we also discussed the Norwegian Blue and I had to pick the whole place up off the floor. Even the French can laugh sometimes.[8-|]

[quote user="Mel "]

Parrot "Not sure you lot would laugh so much if you had to spend all your lives sitting on bloomin' perches. Who gives a stuffed parrot what country I am in? A perch is a perch is a perch and it swings the same wherever I am. Well, apart from Australia where we hang the other way up. Bird-poo to the lot of you!"  

[/quote]

Two parrots sat on a perch, one says to the other

'Can you smell fish?'

sorry, I'll get me coat........

I have been to the vet. She is a dear young thing who is a sheer pleasure to watch in motion. Enough sex.

Those parrots.  Assuming they are not currently in the EU, could be in Nigeria and belong to a Merican. Well, once he has had his microchip inserted, the vet says after consultation that the relevant authorities seem to be called the DSV  (something Departmental Service Veterinaire I think), one for each department too. They would want to have, in French of course 

A. The type of Parrot exactly, (no mongrels I guess, with certification)

B. Proof of origin (which would be proof of purchase)

C. Identity via electronic chip

Once you have these documents  then you contact your local DSV (ask the commune) who can tell you the next steps depending on where the birds are coming from and VERY IMPORTANT the situation as regards bird flu' here and there.

She signs the note Bon Courage. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder.

But we may have now introduced the Nigerian Blue as an official parrot species.

Anyway that's a start. Maybe if they came from within the EU it would be simpler. If that were the case I could go back and drool while the vet gets busy again.

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables, and when he picked up a CD player to place in his sack, a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying, "Jesus is watching you."

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight out, and froze.

When he heard nothing more after a bit, he shook his head, promised himself a vacation after the next big score, then clicked the light on and began searching for more valuables. Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard, "Jesus is watching you."

Freaked out, he shone his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot. "Did you say that?" he hissed at the parrot.

"Yep," the parrot confessed, and then squawked, "I'm just trying to warn you."

The burglar relaxed. "Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?"

"Moses" replied the bird.

"Moses?" the burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a bird Moses?"

“The same kind of people that would name a Rottweiller Jesus."