Putting your pet to sleep?

Tillergirl

I am sorry to report that my dog Billy is fast nearing the end of his time with us and was wondering what happens in France, as in England you can bring your pet back home with you to bury in the garden if you wish. 

Can we still do this here or are there other procedures in France?

Your replies will be most welcome, and can we ask for positive vibes this afternoon at around 2pm when Billy is going to the vet for an assessment.

Thank you and best wishes.

Sarah and Billy.

Just been through it and it's a difficult and sad experience. Our vet came to the house and the actual proceedure is fine, just peacefully drifting off to sleep. Burials at home are OK but we arranged for a cremation and he (our Max) is now residing in a small oak box in our lounge. I still talk to him daily.

Console yourself with the memory of all the good times.

Best wishes

Gary.

[quote user="Tillergirl"]

and can we ask for positive vibes this afternoon at around 2pm when Billy is going to the vet for an assessment.[/quote]

With best wishes to you and to Billy at this upsetting time.

Our family of (elderly) cats brought with us when we came to France are all buried in our garden, where I can have a word or two with them whenever I like ...

Sue

My thoughts are with you this afternoon as we are in a very difficult situation ourselves. We have a very old Cocker lady who has had several operations and the last trip to the vet was for a very bad urine infection. The examination was very upsetting for her as it included inserting a Catheta to extract some urine for testing. She seemed to improve but has now gone back to wetting none stop and she does not even know she is doing it and aimlessly walks through it before we can clean it up. She is also making a dreadful rasping noise, which I did mention to the vet on our last trip to him but it is getting worse now. She has already had a Tumor taken out from inside her ear and she is covered in lumps and bumps. So, like you I am dreading going back to the vet as I think I know what he may suggest and it will break my heart. I will be thinking about you today and I hope it all turns out alright for your beloved dog.

Well it is not quite time for him to go to the big doggy hotel in the sky. He has a nerve/spine problem so has been given an injection and tablets which whilst will not cure it will make him better with his mobility for the moment. We said to the vet that we thought aybe it was the end for him and whilst she said it wasn't time today she did say it would not be very long time to go.

So hopefully this will make him more comfortable and he will be able to manage short strolls by the river again.

Thanks for your messages and wishes.[:)]

Sarah and Billy.

[quote user="Tillergirl"]

We said to the vet that we thought maybe it was the end for him and whilst she said it wasn't time today she did say it would not be very long time to go.

So hopefully this will make him more comfortable and he will be able to manage short strolls by the river again.[/quote]

What splendid news. Our (cat!) Badger's medication was changed by our French vet from the way it had been managed in England, consequently B became happier, calmer (he had had awful coughing fits due to his lungs filling with fluid) and he subsequently re-acquired some of his 'joie de vivre'. This lasted for about 5 months, which suited us as well as him.

Sue

Tillergirl, we have been through the awful experience with two of our Border Collies. Our first dog knew it was his time because he lay in a spot under some trees not far from where he was to be buried. He had never done that before. The vet came to the house and put him to sleep in the garden.

Our second dog was done at the vets. We brought her home and buried her next to our first dog.

It's worth asking your vet if she'd come out when the time comes....

Tillergirl, I can relate to your first posting as I had to take our old labrador to the vet just over a week ago to have a tumour/blocked anal gland treated; the last visit was a few months ago when the vet cleaned out the gland, but it had got worse and I knew it would have to be operated on, but dreaded the fact he might not survive the anaesthetic. However, the dear old trouper came through OK and is back to his old self, even though he's rather stiff and slow with arthritis these days (well he is 15 in Dec - if I reach 98 and can still walk around I'll be lucky!!). It will be the end of an era when he goes as his brother died 3 years ago; we had them from 7 weeks old and they have shared the adventure of our move to France with us. Amber is buried in the garden of our former house, and perhaps Jet will be buried in this one.

ValB, I feel for you; I'm sure you are torn between wanting to keep your little dog and not wanting her to suffer. Sometimes the hardest decision is letting go, so all the best for the future.

Having read this thread I've just given our elderly lab a big cuddle and now sniffing.  I don't think she has much longer to go, lumps and bumps everywhere that seem to be appearing daily but am definitely not having anything 'done'.  She's too old and been through enough trauma in the past (knocked over by a lorry a few years ago, ligamets in a back leg replaced with titanium  etc so difficult to do the walks she used to) that I will just leave her be.  My thoughts are with you, enjoy and fuss her, it's made me think and I certainly will with Poppy.  All the very best.

• 2 months later...
Just re-read this thread as I am taking Poppy to the vets in half an hour to do the necessary.  Just pray and hope they are as gentle and kind here in France as they were for our previous labs in the UK.  Please can someone reassure me that this is the case as I'm on my own at the moment. Many thanks

Our vet has now put down all the animals who came with us from England (my dog only six weeks ago whilst I was stuck in hospital.)  He could not have been kinder or more gentle - certainly as good and as sympathetic as any we had in the UK.  This was really important with the dog as my poor husband needed all the support he could get as he had to take the decision and deal with it all on his own, so we know how you feel.

Bon courage.

[quote user="JSA Aude"] Please can someone reassure me that this is the case as I'm on my own at the moment... [/quote]

Our lady vets were kindness itself when our 2 ancient cats were put to sleep - Badger earlier this year and Cleo towards the end of last year; their gentleness helped me enormously at what were very painful times. Be brave.

Sue

So many, many thanks for your support and advice.  Have now done the deed and feel like an absolute bit..  Yes, I know in my heart it was for the best to end her discomfort/suffering but, even so.  Now have to move on, make much of the other dog and am going for a long walk in the rain.  The vet was fabulous, Poppy knew absolutely nothing as to what was going on and her passing was really peaceful. Sorry, blubbing again, rip Poppy. x

To everyone who is approaching this devastating decision, I want to pass on some good advice given to me. I was told however strong you think you are going to be -write down what you want to say to the French vets.  My  friend/shadow of 15 years left us on Boxing day, we spent Xmas day cuddling as we both knew. I was so glad of my pre written note. The vet nodded and gently took us through. He placed us in the sunshine and I was able to continue cuddling my friend as she fell asleep without a sound.

There was never any question about her coming back home with us. She has the sunniest spot in the garden which will be planted with a riot of colour to celebrate our treasured time with her.

Hi Bumblebear - we did the same with one of our Border Collies. He seemed to know it was time because he went down the garden and lay under the trees - something he had never done before. Mr Callie dug a hole and the vet came out and was very kind. It was all very peaceful....

But I still shed a tear when I think of him - it was over 4 years ago...... but whenever I cut the grass down there, I talk to him about what we are up to.

Hello

Well it's been a month since I've had access to the forum and this was my first thread and I;m already sniffing away!  I lost my cat of 22 years a couple of weeks ago and it's still very painful.  I'd had her since I was 21 and so she grew up with me and I miss her terribly.  She was a very active old lady and the end came quickly, she had been meowing for chicken in the morning and then at lunch time I noticed she looked a bit off, called her to me and she was clearly blind and paralysed on one side.  I took her straight to the vet who confirmed that she had had a stroke and at her age there was little we could do and she was becoming distressed. Through many tears she was put to sleep, quickly and painlessly we had her cremated as we were about to move and she is now in a little box next to my Cocker who died here in France too.  I now have another to worry about, my remaining cocker who too is looking his age but not acting it, at 14 he still thinks he can run and run and at night he struggles to move about.  I hope I will get another summer with him.

Best wishes to all who find themselves in this situation.

Panda

Hi Panda

Poor you, losing a cat after 22 years must have been awful. Ours is 19 and we have had her since she was a kitten.......

One thing to be thankful for is the fact that you were there with her. Sometimes a cat will know when its time has come and will go off to die on its own. I would hate that and would alwayss wonder what had happened.

My sister came back from work to find her old cat lying by the cat flap - she reckoned he either had a heart attack or a stroke. But it must have been quick - and she had him there to bury.

Sent to me when I had to have my little Italian greyhound "put to sleep" 4 months after losing my big old boy.

If It Should Be...

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so,
The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
But stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
the kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who has this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.