Ferel cat found

lizzy h

Hello there, 2 days ago when driving to my friends house I spotted a cat at the side of the road on the grass verge he saw looking around but sitting down so I went to my friends and then on the way back he was still there, Id asked my friend for some biccys to give him so I went up to him, and carefully gave him the biccys and God.... what a mess!
He was soaking wet freezing, and covered in clarts (or cow sh..)
his belly was bald and his poor little paws were soaking wet and the pads swollen like big red balls red raw and bleeding, I picked him up he was skin and bone, and put him in the car, ( thinking God am I in trouble with hubby) but what could I do he would have died of the cold as he could obviously not walk,
So I took him straight to the vets, the receptionist was quite abrupt with me as I didnt have an appointment but the vet said come straight through,
she took one look at him and said god!!
she looked at me and asked if he should be put to sleep as he was ferel and no-one would look after him, I immediately said no I'll look after him,
He was given antibiotics and spray for his feet she said he was emaciated but his eyes mouth ears heart etc was strong,it cost 80 euros (well spent)
so the past 2 days have been spent bathing cleaning and feeding this poor little mite,
I have kept him away from the other cats until I get injections etc
but what alovely little thing he is hes eating like a horse and loving the attention, the only worry is the feet,
I had to remove the litter from his tray and use paper as the stones are sticking to his pads,
he is hobbling to and from the litter tray one paw is fine and the front ones starting to dry up but still very swollen, he hates the spray and it stinks,
Does anyone know or have had a cat that has experienced this, I will keep him, and he will be a house cat until his paws mend this could take months but I don't care he is so loving and I feel so sorry for him!
his back paw is really bad sort of big marble sized and raw do you think I should dress it or leave it to dry up
any advice would be greatly appreciated

It doesn't sound to me like he is a feral cat - you would not be picking him up, cleaning him etc that easily.  He may have sore, bleeding feet through wandering a long time after losing his family.  I assume he has no tattoo or microchip?

Re the paw - it never harms to bathe paws in a weak, tepid salt water solution.  If he is not licking/nibbling at it, leave it in the air.  If it doesn't improve in another few days, take him back to the vet (and get her to scan him for a microchip, just in case.)

What a lucky cat to have been found by you!

Wishing you, and him, a great 2009.

Chrissie (81)

thats the first thing she did no mirochip, the two front paws are  drying up but still very swollen its the back that very sticky  but I'm putting the spray on and sudocrem on the outskirts of the paws as a barrier as everytime he goes in his litter/ paper his paws get wet and it makes them sore again, I think it may take a while to sort and may end up expensive but a little lifes a life and its up to me to help him!

I agree, he doesn't sound like a feral cat at all, even an injured one would not let you do all this and happily use a litter tray either.  I wonder how he got the sores?  Poor little thing, cats do heal quickly though and as he is now being well fed etc. I think he will soon start to come on in leaps and bounds.  I seem to have been adopted by a local cat, a beautiful and tiny thing which sees me and comes running since I gave him some turkey on christmas day.  I thought this one was feral at first, he is always out and we have  huge snow fall here but he can't be as he purrs like a little engine when I call him to me and lets me pet him.  I would take him in completley but the dogs are not keen at the moment and he must have an owner somewhere as although he's not fat he looks healthy so must be being fed, after losing my own cat a couple of weeks ago I am drawn to this wee thing.  He trys to come in the house and every opportunity even though the dogs are there so seems desparate for company.

Well done for taking the cat in and good luck, keep us posted.

What a lucky young man to have found you. They always seem to know exactly when to poke their heads up out of the grass to be spotted!! I would imagine he is feral – an injured feral cat/kitten will very soon adjust to being picked up & will immediately use a litter tray before peeing anywhere else – I don't know why, they just do. 

When we found Ellie we bought cotton baby socks & put them on with sticky medical tape wrapped gently around the sock to keep it on, to protect her badly damaged paw. It provided her with a little extra protection whilst letting the wound breath. Dabbing the paw with iodine is also very good for helping heal wounds & will do no damage to your kitty should he lick it (according to our vet).

I do hope your hubby didn't give you a hard time when you arrived home with the little bundle!! [:)]

Hi there, thanks for the concern, he's getting there, feet are still a mess but  I've been bathing them with betadine and he's been back to the vets and is now on cortisone and antibiotic tablets, hes still very skinny with no fur but so loving and sweet at least all the muck has gone (he let me cut all the dried muck off) sorry I can't post photos as my camera is broken I will keep you all informed

He really is a lucky chap to have found you.

He can't be feral if he is allowing you to help him like that.  I have a feral who visits each day for food.  He's been here over a year now and last year, somehow broke one of his legs.  I have tried just about everything to help him, but to no avail.  I can get to within about 10 feet of him and he's off.  His leg has healed, but badly and with this cold weather, I just know he is suffering, but still won't let me near him.  My other feral female, took 3 years to get used to me and is currently now asleep in front of the fire in the kitchen.

Can I ask what colour your little chap is and whether he has any distinctive markings?  I ask as I lost a gorgeous male cat in November 2007.  I know that's a long time ago, but I still can't get him out of my mind, not knowing what happened to him.  He was such a friendly cat and loved a hug, he could quite easily have been picked up by someone and taken. 

You are doing a great job - and I hope he gets better soon.

Jan

[quote user="Suninfrance"]

I have tried just about everything to help him, but to no avail.  I can get to within about 10 feet of him and he's off.  His leg has healed, but badly and with this cold weather, I just know he is suffering, but still won't let me near him. [/quote]

He might be suffering but still he returns 'cos he knows he will be safe with you. Congratulate yourself on a job 'en cours' but still well done.

Sue

hes a lovely ginger tom he''s a big cat with a massive appitite and getting really spoilt his paws are taking along time to heal they are reducing in size but are getting scabby, he's still not going out and I wont let him until heIs had the chop when his feet heal but hes actually looking rarther handsome now, today I carried him to the garden and walked around it showing him the snow and he saw the other cats playing but he made no attempt to jump. I really love him now and am so happy he's getting better I wish my camera worked as I would have taken photos, he's my baby for good aswell as all the others!!!