Doesn't rain, but it pours,eh?

Mr Coeur de Lion

Having found Abby Rose a lovely new home, my attentions turned back to my other dog and getting him fit and well for the flight to America.

Since my return from my last trip, he hasn't been good, but I put it down to him missing me. Went to the vets, had his annual jabs and they felt it was stress too.

Couple of weeks later, took him back as he still wasn't right and the vet took blood and discovered he has liver problems. Gave me medication etc and to come back after 10 days.

Went back today and they did a scan and his liver is basically shot. He won't be coming to America with me, and it's a matter of time now before I make the call to have him put to sleep. He's only 10 :(

Can't believe it, and I can't believe how quickly he went downhill. The spark is still there, but not as bright as it should be. When that spark goes, I'll know then it's time.

Why do these lovely creatures die so young?

Richard, I'm truly sorry for you and your poor doggie.  The liver can sometimes repair but it sounds a bit too far gone.  Your sadness at having to lose Abby Rose and now this - love him and keep him very close and together you will deal with the decision that awaits.  Judging by what Abby Rose's new family tell me, you have given both your dogs lots of care and love and they have been so very well looked after - you can't do more than that.  My thoughts are with you.

Life's like that sometimes and I really feel for you. [:(] As one difficulty gets sorted another arrives. Be strong when you take him to the vet. I always feel I have to be as upbeat as possible in case the animal senses my sadness. It's the downside of loving animals.

So very sorry for you Richard.

We lost our pet just before we moved to France and we buried her in our field, next to our favourite tree.  I like to think she's happy there, running around in all her old familiar places.

Many hugs xx

"If it should be that I grow weak, and pain should keep me from my sleep

Then you must do what must be done for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad I understand, don't let your grief then stay your hand

For this day more than all the rest your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years what is to come can hold no fears

You'd not want me to suffer, so, the time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend and please stay with me till the end

Hold me firm and speak to me until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see the kindness that you do for me

Although my tail it's last has waved, from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve it must be you who has this painful thing to do.

We've been so close us two, these years, don't let your heart hold back it's tears."    .....Thinking of you.....

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I know just what you are going through as it was this time last year I had to do the same thing with my beloved dog (although he was 14, so a good age).

Jo, your poem has had me in floods of tears; luckily my husband is watching TV so doesn't think I've lost it[8-)]

It's a lovely poem, I first was given it when I had to have Phoebe put down, she was a beautiful cat and 13 years old. I then had to have Enzo put down after he found some anti freeze last year,  he was only 4. Both times it's helped, it sort of gives you permission to have a good sob.

Hello,

Sorry to hear your sad news, hope you will be able to remember all the good times.

I showed the poem to my mum, who has M.S. She is in constant pain now, is unable to walk, has difficulty swallowing, can't see properly and is becoming incontinent.

She said it's a pity we don't afford the same dignity and support to human beings.

Makes you think !!!!!

She sends her thoughts to you too about your sad loss.

Kind regards Mel.

[quote user="connolls"]She said it's a pity we don't afford the same dignity and support to human beings. [/quote]

Yes, indeed.  I do think we have got our morals / sympathies a little wrong.  It has always seemed odd to me that when you can express your  wishes, as with the humans, which are then ignored, we have lost the point of free expression and opinion.  Death occurs, and we should make it as easy as possible when it does arrive.  Sadly, we do indeed treat animals more kindly than humans.