Cats while you're away

FairyNuff

We have a newish cat which we've never left before, except for short days out. We're now planning a trip in June, what do you all do with your cats when you're away from home? We can't decide whether just to have a neighbour feed him daily, or to lodge him in a cattery. He'd have access to the cave for sleeping. Between now and then as the weather improves I plan to make sure he's accustomed to being out of the house at night, which he used to be before it turned really cold. I don't want to give him free range inside while we're away because the house is open-plan.

Thanks for any pointers.

FairyNuff

Hmm.  A friend feeds ours but they have the same access as they always have (ie the entire house during the day and she lets them out at night - because, like you, it's pretty open plan so we can't do more than shut them out of the one room which has a door!)

I have friends who have had a couple of cats at different times since arriving here and when they left for holidays and shut the cat out of the house, they had gone by the time they got home and were never seen again.[:(]  So, it's not what you want to hear but I think - at least until your cat is more established - then you should either let him stay in the house - at least during the day when he's not out hunting - or put him in a cattery. 

We were very fortunate in the UK, as we had an excellent neighbour who would feed the cats and let them in and out (evening and morning).

Over here, we always opted to put them in a cattery, not because we don't have good neighbours, but the attitude out here in the countryside is quite different.

The cats never liked the cattery, but they were safe.

Biggest problem might be finding a good place.  

When we have planned in advance we have always used a cattery.  Ours fill up well in advance and June will be a holiday month this year because of a late Whitsun - so be warned.

If we have to go at short notice we get a neighbour in to feed them and water and they have free reign.

On one occasion - short notice and during the holidays and no neighbours to help us out - only one of us could travel and one had to stay behind.

we're away soon and have one house cat (going to the cattery) and three garden cats who are pretty tame and get fed once a day. It would cost a fortune to put them in a cattery and we have no close neighbours so I am now feeding them just once every two days, then lengthening the gap between feeds, and can see that they have reverted to being able to fend for themselves by catching rabbits, mice, etc. A friend may pass by once or twice a week and put out biscuits for them but I can't insist on it. So I take the risk that they may be gone to pastures new when we return.

So good luck, it's a big responsibility that only becomes apparent when you go away!

Cats have a reputation for being solitary, but in fact they love company.  I would not recommend leaving your cat suddenly on his own and shut out of the house, even with someone coming in to feed him - he will be confused and frightened and will look for new company.

We always put ours in a cattery, except once when we couldn't get a space and some very kind friends took our cat, but she had to be shut inside their house all the time with a litter tray in case she roamed.

Chrissie (81)

We've been very lucky in that we've always had great neighbours or friends willing to feed ours at home. We've never used a cattery and feel that at least they are in a familiar place even if the routine and our absence is a bit different.

We've always had a cat flap and the cats come and go as they please. Yes, we've often come home to find furry pillows when one has taken a fancy to the bed, or dessicated mice corpses under the bed, but we count this as part of having cats! Sometimes I'll cover the bed or sofa etc with throws to protect them, but there's nothing terribly precious in our house that won't go in the washing machine!

We do know that the cats miss the company though, our old cat in the UK definitely used to pine and not eat much for a couple of days - and would sulk and not speak to us for half a day when we came back.

Lou

Thank you for all your replies - they've given me food for thought.

By June we'll have had him 10 months (or he's had us?). The plan in the back of my mind was to get him used to being outside and playing with our neighbours' children, so that he had a "social" connection before we went away, I'll have to see how it goes. He is quite a "people" cat, likes to snooze on my knee in the afternoon when I'm reading etc. One little problem is that he sometimes sicks up his food [+o(] if he eats too much too fast, he tends to gobble food like a dog does, so I feed him 3-4 small meals. Because of this I'm wary of allowing him totally free access to the house for a week! He is good with his litter tray though! Much to reflect upon.

FairyNuff

How long are you going away for? Could you not get someone to house-sit & feed the cat at the same time while you are away?

Our cats hate the cattery but we do use one if we plan to be away for a long weekend. We know that they don't eat very much if anything at all when they are there but at least we know they are safe.

If we are going away for longer then we have my parents come to stay but this does cost us an arm & a leg as we have to fly them down from their local airport in Scotland to Gatwick or City airport. We then load up the Pay As You Go travel cards so they can get around the surrounding area and we also buy in some shopping for them too. We also go out for a meal with them before and after our holiday so all in all it turns out to be very expensive. Enough to be able to go on another holiday! It would be far cheaper to hire a house sitter but at least it gives my parents a break as they do like coming to visit even if we are not there ourselves!