Fosse Septique

Teamedup

I know that this has been said in the past, maybe even by me, but as the archives is missing I thought I would post it again as it is quite important.

Firstly, there are bacteria like Eparcyl that one can put down the toilet to make the fosse work properly. I have heard it said that a dead animal would have been put in a new fosse in the old days and the bacteria from that would help the fosse work properly, however, we didn't do that, so we'll continue using the products that we can buy. 

Which takes me onto the second part of the post. IF by chance, we or any of our guests have been taking anti biotics then I make sure that once the person is not chez nous, or we have finished the course of treatment, then I put an extra dose of bacteria down the toilet  to keep the fosse working properly. I have heard it said that anti biotics will kill the good bacteria in a fosse and I've never wanted to take the risk of trying an essaie and not giving the fosse an extra dose of bugs. The consequences do not appeal to me.

I believe in treating our fosse with tender loving care and have no desire to see or smell again that which has been flushed out of sight. 

Thirdly, make sure that everyone who isn't used to a fosse realises that only what has been eaten or drank should go down the loo along with toilet paper that is OK for a fosse. Paper tissues, tampons etc should be put in a bin and never down the loo.

Hi TU,

Can you help me with the idea of the fosse sep.

We have just moved over to the Aude (lovely). Our old house (built of Cotswold stone in 1735)was on the edge of Stroud in the Cotswold hills. We had a septic tank, 2 chambers and in the 23 years I lived there we only had to have it emptied about 3 times. There was always a good, healthy crust on the top and when the bloke emptied it he always made sure he left a good portion of the crust so the tank carried on working properly. We didn't take any real measures, like feeding it with bacteria, or anything like that. Our next door neighbour, it was a shared tank, used and still uses any and everything that is cheap. Alsorts get chucked into it, but it still worled very well. Can you tell me what the difference is that makes the ones over here so tempremental?

I am trying to find out because at the moment we are in a long term rent and will be buying a place sometime when we find the right one and it may well have an FS.

I don't know the difference. I was told that if you looked after them they just went on and on.

So with reluctance and touching wood, I will say that in 21 + years ours has never been emptied, no idea if there is a crust on it, no smell and the loo flushes well. I assume that ours is working as it should and frankly I prefer it like that.

Hi Dick,

At the moment we are in long let, full time rental and on mains drains. The idea is that we have time to look around to buy what we really, really want (sounds like a song in there somewhere?  ). If it's perfect for us and has a fosse then no problems, but I have asked the question before as to what the difference is to one in the U.K. and one here? Nobody seems to know and I must admit that it is fascinating me, easily pleased I suppose?

We are definately full time here, we've sold up in the U.K.

John.

[quote]Hi Dick, At the moment we are in long let, full time rental and on mains drains. The idea is that we have time to look around to buy what we really, really want (sounds like a song in there somewhere...[/quote]

There is a bit of difference on the the old way of making the septic tank it was made of inch brick and rendered with a wall in between to make two compartments this was called a coffer dam and the screen was a large french drain .The Modern septic is just a large concrete box with a dustbin in it full of filtering material then pipes to a screen or filter bed.The other septic is a klargogestor type with the same as above.no doupt others will disagree, happy plumbing or in your case thinking.

Of course with the introduction of the inspection visits that Val has mentioned elsewhere, one of the things that is checked is that the tanks have been emptied in accordance with the rules:’

Elle sont indiquées par l'arrêté du 6 mai 1996 fixant les prescriptions techniques applicables aux systèmes d’assainissement non collectif :

• au moins tous les quatre ans dans le cas d'une fosse toutes eaux ou d'une fosse septique ;
  • au moins tous les six mois dans le cas d'une installation d'épuration biologique à boues activées ;
  • au moins tous les ans dans le cas d'une installation d'épuration biologique à cultures fixées ".

Regarding loo paper, don't bring that thick soft stuff from the UK like Andrex, it does nothing but block the smaller french pipework and will take ages to disperse in a septic tank. Buy local products for the area you live in which are made specially for this purpose. French loo paper can range from thin 2-ply stuff your fingers will stick through to soft paper from Kleenex like Lotus,you get what you pay for. I personally like Super U own but not Moltonel which is like sandpaper on your bum. A friend has just given us over 100 rolls of english loo paper to use which we can because we have larger than standard pipework (deliberate) and are on main drainage but I tell you it needs three flushes before just a couple of sheets will completely deflate and go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Boniour everyone,

We've just bought in Pas-de-Calais in countryside between Le Touquet & Monteuil-sur-Mer and have a fosse septique - the local mairie's office can arrange for it to be emptied F-O-C once every two years if req'd. In our case a farmer turned up with tractor and tanker trailer.

However, he and the local plumber siad there must be a second tank as the one he emptied did not contain foul waste and appeared to be connected only to the kitchen and bathroom NOT the toilet.

The reason for asking for the tak to be emptied was a slow flushing loo - still the same of course

Tge previous owner says there is a second tank that "never, never, never needs emptying" and in the 22 years since the house was built for him they've "never , n...." had any problems.

Can anyone help me with the concept of a never emptying tank please?

Thank you

Rowland

[quote]Boniour everyone, We've just bought in Pas-de-Calais in countryside between Le Touquet & Monteuil-sur-Mer and have a fosse septique - the local mairie's office can arrange for it to be emptied F-...[/quote]

The previous owner is saying what a very large number of French septic tank owners will say. Many of my neighbours and friends have said things like 'I've lived here for 35 years, our fosse has never been emptied and it works perfectly'. In theory this could be true, if everything is in perfect balance the solids break down and the remaining liquids drain away through the network of soakaway pipes. More modern schools of thought recommend that the fosse should be emptied every 2 or 3 years.

It sounds like you need to find this second tank which could be a bit awkward if the previous owner is still around. It could be, particularly if the surrounding land is flat, that the fosse has been buried quite deep (with the top at say 50 cm below ground level). I think this was quite common to provide a fall for the drains and in the belief that access would never be needed. If the lid is not obvious and the owner can't tell you where the access is you may need to prod the ground with a long metal object to see if you can find it. Then get the tank emtied which hopefully will cure your problem.

I've been there, done that, but I don't have the T-shirt Good luck!

Liz (29)

If both types of fosse, septique and toutes eaux, have to be emptied at least every four years is there any point in feeding the bugs at all. With our fosse toutes eaux we were told that feeding it was a waste of time as the washing machine, dishwasher etc would kill the bugs anyway. A fosse septique is another matter and as has been said only products passed by people should go down it. Has anyone with a fosse septique had an inspection where the inspector made it clear about the emptying frequency and what was said? I also thought a fosse septique, if working properly, never needed emptying!...........................John in Dept 79 

Some years ago someone posted a really good link to a US site about the Fosse Septique but  I seem to have lost it.  I did find this University of Montana site which is ok but not  a patch on the other. The link is:

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9401.html

It has this chart on emptying frequency (the figures in the body of the table are years).  Obviously it depends on how much crap goes in so those with a Maison Secondaire need to work out their annual crap equivalent!

Tank size*Household Size (number of people)
(Gals)

The site I can't now find seemed to dispel many myths (if it was true) eg it's not necessary to keep feeding in the activator.

[quote]Can members tell me if it is ok to use UK type shampoo, soap, shower gells, toothpaste without upsetting the Fosse. Sorry if its a stupid question, but if you dont ask .....Mike[/quote]

I would have thought these items are quite mild and you are not going to be putting that much into the fosse if at all. You see the same brands of toothpaste and soap in the French supermarkets as in the UK though not all. In some places only the loo goes to the fosse and grey water from sinks and showers goes to a soakaway though I suspect that is not technically allowed now but existing installations may be like this. Of greater concern is large quantities of stuff like Javel (bleach) going into the fosse, that would upset the bugs! You can find alternatives like WC Net for cleaning the loo. There is usually a label saying Sans danger pour les fosses septiques on the bottle if it is ok to use. Include dishwashers and washing machines as maybe not very fosse friendly..................John in Dept 79 (Everything goes into ours as it is a fosse toutes eaux......honest!)

[quote]If both types of fosse, septique and toutes eaux, have to be emptied at least every four years is there any point in feeding the bugs at all. With our fosse toutes eaux we were told that feeding it wa...[/quote]

Just applied for a new fosse and part of the paperwork says that you agree to have it emptied every four year and a certificate handed into the marie

[quote]Liz, Thanks for your prompt reply, you've suggested doing exactly what our fosse "emptier" was doing but he certainly didn't probe as deep as 50 cm. I'll try that in the Spring when we will be there...[/quote]

Robot, I forgot to mention if you do find the access to your fosse you can then buy a circular concrete pipe which should be just the size to raise the level of the access to the surrounding ground and provide a snug fit for the original lid. It is called a 'rehausse' and can be had in a builders' merchant but probably not in your average DIY.

Liz (29)

I found our Fosee using two bent metal clothes hangers as divining rods - my Uncle poo pooed the idea (if you will pardon the expression) 'til we found his fosse the same way. Interestingly the overflow from his fosse went into the local drains.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't post messages usually, however, you have hit on a particular sore point in this topic at present at chez O'Connell.  We have recently moved to 07 after living 15 years in Cheshire quite happily with our fosse a la GB.  Never needed emptying, always had a good crust and never gave off any smells (it was in the garden some 20m from the house).  Our first priority 12 months ago was to have a fosse installed in our new home.  It cost us an arm and a leg as it is quite a way from the house and the land slopes so we had various falls to install.  Not only is my husband disgusted with the shoddy workmanship of the installation, but we have endured the worst smells I have ever known for the past 2 months and the artisan who installed the fosse does not seem to want to return my calls and messages.  I am at my whits end with the whole affair at the moment.  I put all the silly sachets down the toilett as advised (never had to in Cheshire) and only ever use fosse safe chemicals for cleaning etc.  I think personally that the French fosses are not up to the UK standard of brick built equivalent.  Any suggestion would be greatly received, sympathy included! Obviously the thing will need to be emptied and reactivated, but within a year!!

Candy in 'smelly le vitrier'