taking our dog to uk for Christmas, but??

mogs

We know we have to see our vet here between 1 - 5 days before travelling.

However when leaving the UK to return to France (a week later) do we need to see a UK vet before departure?

We haven't done this before so it's a first for us.

If memory serves, nope. The key controls are on pets entering the UK, as opposed to France. Those of us who have travelled regularly to France from the UK with pets do nothing just before leaving to enter France. It's the return (for us) to the UK that involves the flea, tick and worm rigmarole.

[quote user="PaulT"]As Betty says no checks going from UK to France - but the carriers still charge for them.[/quote]

This is interesting for us as we are taking our French cat (who was an SDF till rescued) to the UK for Crimble; just booked the tickets and she is costing 36€ from Fr to UK and 25€ from UK to Fr so it seems that there is somewhat of a charge both ways but implying the major checking is outward.

Sue

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Sue I love the idea of the ex SDF cat being taken on a foreign holiday for Crimble! LOL Pure magic[:)][/quote]

Well we will have to see what she makes of it. She has adapted well to being in a non-French household though at times she does look at OH and I as though we are truly beyond her ken. What she will make of a UK Xmas I have no idea as we haven't been to the UK for years.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

This story has the makings of a good film for Christmas[:)]

[/quote]

She is star quality. She lived with a loving owner for 14 years who then died. The inheritors of the house chucked Mme Minou out on the streets where she languished - handily cold and wet - for 4 or so months, garnering stress-related diabetes along the way, till we were told about her. Now diabetes-free (good diet) and 16+ we feel she has to come with us as it would not be fair to subject her to separation and more stress.

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Cendrillon"]Sue I love the idea of the ex SDF cat being taken on a foreign holiday for Crimble! LOL Pure magic[:)][/quote]

Well we will have to see what she makes of it. She has adapted well to being in a non-French household though at times she does look at OH and I as though we are truly beyond her ken. What she will make of a UK Xmas I have no idea as we haven't been to the UK for years.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

This story has the makings of a good film for Christmas[:)]

[/quote]

She is star quality. She lived with a loving owner for 14 years who then died. The inheritors of the house chucked Mme Minou out on the streets where she languished - handily cold and wet - for 4 or so months, garnering stress-related diabetes along the way, till we were told about her. Now diabetes-free (good diet) and 16+ we feel she has to come with us as it would not be fair to subject her to separation and more stress.

Sue

[/quote]

How wonderful Sue56.

Hope you and Mme Minou have the best Christmas ever. :)

Sue

Do not know who you are travelling with but Eurostar each way in Sterling is £16 - went up from £15 a year or so back.

We once was inspected going through UK security at the terminal in France (we had checked our dog in and had the sticker showing. They checked that we only had the one dog. I commented that surely people do not try to smuggle pets in. I was informed that 'oh yes they do'. She then said, especially if you have more than one pet, the vet costs plus the Eurotunnel charge makes some people to try it.

Sue wrote:

' just booked the tickets and she is costing 36€ from Fr to UK and 25€ from UK to Fr so it seems that there is somewhat of a charge both ways but implying the major checking is outward.'

Now, if you say your residence is UK and pay in £GB then the cost is £16 each way - at least one thing that the UK does not get ripped off on.

WE only ever book a single going out to France and then, when we think we should go back book the return trip as a UK resident paying Sterling. I do sometimes look to see how much it would be in euros on the basis of resident in France and it is always dearer. Those of you resident in France with a UK bank account might save money by stating that you are UK resident.

• 2 weeks later...
We have just returned  ( last week ) from the UK using the tunnel and they are not interested in anything to do with your dog other than charging you to take it. The dogs exercise area on the UK side is a joke, so keep it well away from that. Its a small sand pit full of dog poo.

Have a safe trip and a happy christmas

John

Thanks to all for replying, and Sue I loved your cat story and hope she enjoys her visit to UK for Christmas.

Tickets are now booked, it will be a first for us with our lovely doggie but I'm sure she would rather be with us than kennels!