WHERE DO I BEGIN!!!

darren

Thanks for the advise Deby,we definately are going to rent for 6 months before we consider buying property or land,If we do find that the grass is no greener over there at least we can say we gave it a go.I think that i would always regret it if we didnt see for ourselves.I was interested to see that you returned to England for a better education system,it must be pretty bad in france if its worse than here!!  

[quote user="darren"]

Thanks for the advise Deby,we definately are going to rent for 6 months before we consider buying property or land,If we do find that the grass is no greener over there at least we can say we gave it a go.I think that i would always regret it if we didnt see for ourselves.I was interested to see that you returned to England for a better education system,it must be pretty bad in france if its worse than here!!  

[/quote]

Darren

I think that by going to France and seeing it like it is makes you appreciate England far more. We lived in France for several years and met some very nice people but we now appreciate how easy it is to get things done and prefer the cut and thrust of living in the UK.  You can even get a job if you want one.

[quote user="Deby"]

I know we have two opionions of moving school-aged children to France. It is good to get a balance.  I lived in France for 6 years, arrived when daughter was 1 and had my son in France.  We returned to the UK on account of poor education system in rural France as well as my belief that France's education system is antiquated - more akin to the 1950's. It depends what you want for your children.

[/quote]

I think the French education system knocks spots of its English equivalent. We live in a small village and the local primary school is run by a great teacher who really pushes the kids. They arrive more than prepared for secondary school.

The previous school our lad attended suffered from a high turnover of teachers, which - granted - is probably endemic in 'rural' France, however even there I felt reassured that he wasn't eating crack, pimping sixth formers and gun running (which was the norm back in Manchester [:P]).

In all seriousness though, if the teaching of grammar coupled with the absence of David Beckham Studies makes French education appear antiquated then so be it: many would say that it's all the better for it.

My partner is French and she has a better grounding in most core subjects than I have: in fact she studied toward her degree in England, there's no way I'd manage that in France!

She lived ten years in the UK and is surprised when I relay grisly anecdotes from my school days, she just can't relate to it.

If yob culture is starting to rear its ugly head in France then it is still a way behind the UK.

I really can't see how a kid leaving school with a sound knowledge of grammar who isn't running the risk of being shot or stabbed in London or Liverpool can be a bad thing. Let's not forget either that England have been looking at introducing a bac style system.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

[quote user="darren"]

Darren

I think that by going to France and seeing it like it is makes you appreciate England far more. We lived in France for several years and met some very nice people but we now appreciate how easy it is to get things done and prefer the cut and thrust of living in the UK.  You can even get a job if you want one.

[/quote]

Lol![:D]

We moved here when our son was 9, into the local primaire which was superb and no looking back.  Now in 3 eme college,he had a cracking night watching the rugby with some mates yesterday evening, their parents were out (live opposite us!) and raided the fridge !! (not many in there) whereby one was walked home and the others made their own way back.  That's as much laaary behaviour as we have had in the five years here ( which includes the older ones out from uni and jobs!). Pretty impressive compared with other places I think.!!

I dont think that people who have been away from England for any longer than 18 months realise just how bad things have got over here.I'm not talking about the leafy suburbs,im talking about the city centres and surrounding areas.Every single week there are numerous murders,pensioners beaten half to death for a few quid,school kids pictured with guns and knives,its an absolute disgrace,and thats not the Manchester evening news thats the local Advertiser.I know there are problems also in France,but i cannot believe it can be as bad as here.

Hi,

We've been here 4 months. Our 11 year old daughter managed to do 2 months of primary before moving up to college in September. She had 8 months of french lessons before we came which helped. We came over beforehand and she spent half a day at the primary school. It got the first day nerves out of the way. At least she knew what she was going to. I can get by in french so I organised a small party for her when she started school. That worked well as she integrated with the other children faster. She's finding it difficult with the language at the moment but she enjoys school. There isn't any stigma here with re-doubling a year so she has that option. It's important to have something to look forward to at the weekends. swimming, horse riding  or shopping. My daughter has still got a long way to go but she chats away to her friends now in her broken french. She goes out in our village with another few kids on their bikes. It's great! We're loving it here and we're really pleased that we made the move. When you look for a house, be careful to find a town that opens in the winter nearby. Also if you buy in a hamlet, try and find out if they're mainly  holiday homes or not. I've heard a lot of stories, especially in the Charente. It makes it so much easier if there are some children nearby. Good Luck!

Darren, I don't think you have to do anything so drastic as move to France to escape.  Just get out of Ashton - quick!  It was my home town and every time I go back it scares the hell out of me.  Honestly, there are parts of the UK that are lovely :o) 

But seriously, I agree with the others.  It's a big move for the kids, so go easy on them and be prepared to offer lots and lots of support.

Sara

Just on a positive note here, we moved to France 13 years ago when our son was 10 and our daughter was 5. Our son is now in his second year at the Ecole Nationale Veterinaire in Toulouse and our daughter is taking her Bac S in June and wants to study Pharmacy. As a family we have found the education system here superb - it is hard at times, very competitive but overall it is fantastic.

Lucy

• 2 months later...

[quote user="darren"]Thanks for the advise,we have no idea how we will fit in over there,and obviously we are nervous ourselves,but we are trying to learn the language,we love the area,we know that it will be hard at first,but we just feel that we no longer want our children to be brought up in this country,sad but true! [/quote]

I felt like that too 3 years ago. I've since realised that France is no different to the UK, the same social problems exist, the same educational problems exist, that the much vaunted French education system is, in my own experience, hugely inferior to a UK education, unemployment means that there is probably very little chance of my kids finding work here anyway - unemployment in the under 25s averages 23% and that for the opportunity to play safely in the street it's not worth it. We'll be heading back to the UK with a huge sigh of relief and just hoping that the 3 years of French school won't be too detrimental to their education.

This is unlikely to be a popular view but there you go. Much I love about France but not for families.