Becoming a policewoman/gendarme

mogs

Our daughter who is now 14 has been in the French schooling system since she was 8.   Now she has to start thinking about what career she would like to do, and is thinking about becoming part of the police here.

It has been mentioned that because she is not a French citizen, or born in France that she cannot join the police or any other French Services, is this correct?

Can she apply for dual nationality as a minor?

Can anyone suggest any alternatives or exceptions for joining the police  in France?

I thought that French Nationality can be applied for after 5 years of residency in France, so the OP's daughter would not have to wait until she was 18 ?

Now that the gendarmerie in France is no longer a part of the military, perhaps acceptance/entry may be easier?

[quote user="Mutiara"]

I thought that French Nationality can be applied for after 5 years of residency in France, so the OP's daughter would not have to wait until she was 18 ?

Now that the gendarmerie in France is no longer a part of the military, perhaps acceptance/entry may be easier?

[/quote]

1) Applying for naturalisation:

Le demandeur doit être majeur. (from here)

Toutefois, la naturalisation peut être accordée à

l'enfant mineur resté étranger
, bien que l'un de ses parents soit

devenu français
, s'il justifie avoir résidé avec lui en France durant

les 5 années précédant le dépôt de la demande.

2) It is not only military type occupations that require French Nationality.

"Les emplois fermés aux étrangers se trouvent en

nombre avant tout dans le secteur public. Les emplois de titulaires dans les

trois fonctions publiques (étatique, hospitalière et

territoriale) sont interdits aux étrangers  et

représentent près de 5,2 millions d'emplois."

but there are moves afoot to change this:  see this proposition to the Senate

she  could  start  getting  her  paperwork  done  @  16,  best  ask  at  the  tribunal  d 'instance.

Le certificat de nationalité française

C'est un document officiel, délivré par le service de la nationalité du tribunal d'instance. Il constituera la preuve que vous êtes français(e). La nationalité française est un droit qui repose sur la preuve : conservez tous les documents susceptibles de prouver votre naissance et surtout votre résidence en France. A titre d'exemples : livrets scolaires, certificats de scolarité, certificats de travail ou contrats d'apprentissage, inscription à l'ANPE, carnet de santé... Le tribunal d'instance, après avoir vérifié que vous remplissez les conditions, vous délivrera un certificat de nationalité. Avec la nouvelle loi, la délivrance du certificat de nationalité sera mentionnée sur votre acte de naissance, ce qui facilitera vos démarches ultérieures. A votre demande, la mention de la nationalité française pourra également figurer sur vos extraits d'acte de naissance et votre livret de famille.

L'acquisition anticipée de la nationalité française

Avant 18 ans, vous pouvez devenir français(e) de manière anticipée par déclaration :

• Dès l'âge de 13 ans : vos parents peuvent réclamer pour vous la nationalité française, si vous êtes en accord, et si vous justifiez d'une résidence en France de 5 ans depuis l'âge de 8 ans.

• Dès l'âge de 16 ans : vous pouvez demander (sans l'accord de vos parents) à devenir français(e), à condition de justifier d'une résidence en France de 5 ans depuis l'âge de 11 ans.

Pour bénéficier de l'acquisition anticipée de la nationalité française, adressez-vous au tribunal d'instance.

La faculté de refuser la nationalité française : Si vous remplissez les conditions mais ne souhaitez pas devenir français(e), vous pouvez exprimer votre refus à partir de 17 ans et demi et jusqu'à l'âge de 19 ans. Adressez-vous au tribunal d'instance.

I think that applies to children born in France;

Article 21-11

L'enfant mineur né en France de parents étrangers peut à partir de

l'âge de seize ans réclamer la nationalité française par déclaration,

dans les conditions prévues aux articles 26 et

suivants si, au moment de sa déclaration, il a en France sa résidence

et s'il a eu sa résidence habituelle en France pendant une période

continue ou discontinue d'au moins cinq ans, depuis l'âge de onze ans. 

In any case it seems clear that the OP's daughter could get double nationality, and so access to the Gendarmarie.

Someone on another site has a son who has the gendarmes (as a career) in his sights.

He will have to take French citizenship - which for him is apparently no big deal - but in the meantime he has done his work experience at the Gendarmerie and the local staff have been very positive about his plans to become a gendarme.

Thanks to all who have posted in reply.

Its a bit confusing for us to look and read all the documentation from the links so we are going to go to the local gendarmarie to see what advice they can give.

If she can apply for dual nationality at 16 then it seems that might solve the problem.

Could the last poster possibly give me the link to the other site you are referring to please, so I can look at what has been said there too.

Many thanks to all.

[quote user="mogs"]

Could the last poster possibly give me the link to the other site you are referring to please, so I can look at what has been said there too.

[/quote]

It was a year ago, possibly more, and I don't remember which forum it was. I call in at a number of fora and while I distinctly remember reading a thread - as I said above - I don't remember more than that.