Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original question was "Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?", and clearly the answer is 'No" since your own grasp and that of your mother is so lamentably inadequate that you would only make a fool of yourself, but then, you are in the habit of doing that.

"She has green eyes"  and "she has got green eyes"  are both "correct" as I said in my first post. There is no glaring error of grammar such as 'she have green eyes' or 'she has get green eyes.'

There follows the issues of context, dicourse,  usage, and the differences between American and British English.

In speech British people are more likely to say 'Have you got a moment?' for example, whereas Americans might well ask "do you have ..."

This explains why Americans often reply to

"Have you got " with 'yes I do' instead of 'yes I have',   since they are instinctively using the 'do' auxiliary from the 'Do you have' form they are used to.

As for context and discourse it is true that many older people were taught to avoid 'got' in formal written English, such as a business letter:

'I have a complaint' would have been preferred to 'I have got a complaint'

However this is a very narrow definition of 'written'.  How about the dialogue in a short story or play, both of them written texts, but which may wish to reproduce in writing speech habits.?

How about  a letter written with a specific reader in mind, to whom 'I have got' might feel less stilted than the more formal version?

In other words the grammar of both is correct, but which is chosen depends on a number of factors.

Norman said ...

"The original question was "Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?", and clearly the answer is 'No" since your own grasp and that of your mother is so lamentably inadequate that you would only make a fool of yourself, but then, you are in the habit of doing that"

GO ### yourself ...was that English enough for you.

BTW, I had a nice thank you from the teacher.

You are a complete rude ### and you represent everything I hate about the UK.

#####

angry ALBF

And don't talk about my mum like that again

Flipin idiot.

ALBF, do you feel better now? How very rude you are. You epitomise what I intensely dislike in people from the UK.

I really hope that your child isn't treated unfairly and marked down because of your action of sending a note to your child's teacher pointing out her error, which several posters on here had said wasn't a good idea.

A more sensible person, of whatever nationality, would have left well alone, apart from helping their child to learn a very valuable lesson - that one tailors one's language and behaviour according to circumstances, while remaining true to oneself. In this case, that she should use appropriate language at home and at school.

No I don't feel better now.

I am glad I epitomise everything you dislike about the UK. But then again I have lived in France for two decades without any problems.

I wrote a note in the teachers book the teacher wrote nice note back saying thank you.

Remember, my little girl is French, born French, first language is French.

Expats make there lives so difficult in France because they don't no how to handle themselves. They live in a non reality British enclave environment with a superiority complex.

This was actually a tongue and cheek thread.

Thank you for spoiling it Norman.

Albf said: <>

Two whole decades - nearly as long as some others on this forum!

You didn't read my post correctly. I didn't say you epitomise everything I dislike about the UK, but in people from the UK. Especially those who think they are a cut above others from the UK who live in France, such as you.

If you intend a thread to be 'tongue and cheek' (sic), maybe you should label it as such, then everyone would know that.

Garden Girl ...said...

'Especially those who think they are a cut above others from the UK who live in France, such as you'

I do remember Norman starting a French politics thread on here not so long ago by saying " I don't expect anyone on here to follow French politics but anyone who is interested...(I forget the exact wording but you get the tone)

hmmm.

At least my threads are not patronising.

Dry your eyes, man. You are the most smugly patronising person on this board.

All brits are.....

All expats.....

Only idiots would.....

I have been here for twenty years and I say.....

The sh1te you come out with is a throwback to this forums 'good' old days of "I am more integrated than you are" willy waving.

Dave...your back ?

I have missed you.

Do you know what, I reached 1000 posts today. Nobody made me a cake or sent me a card. Oh well.

You have over 1600 posts. Wooly and Chancer have over 10,000 posts. Blimey. The good old days must have been great fun.

How does that work when I have been living here for so long. ??

This post has sadly made me remember a couple of things I would have rather forgotten.

My experience and those I know was that when a parent dares say anything at all, the general rule is that the child will suffer at some point. Some caustic comment, even marking more severely than they should. I just hope that this prof is really decent.

Exactly one of my points, Idun; receiving a nice note back from the teacher doesn't mean there won't be repercussions.

Of course, not every French teacher would be deliberately unfair to a child because of the behaviour of a parent, but I have heard from so many friends that this can and does happen.

''One may smile and smile and be a villain'', Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, scene 5.

That was auto correct.

Ok, my little girl ask me to correct her homework so I did with a pen. I crossed out all the 'gots' because they weren't needed. She said that was the exercise you idiot. I said oops. I phoned my mum who is indeed a professor and has written and published many books. She agreed that the 'gots' weren't needed. I had no choice but to write a little note explaining why I had butcherd her homework. No harm done. Chancer was write that teachers are more enlightened here.

Just thought it would be a fun thread. Shame people got nasty. But then again this is a French forum.

albf, you keep saying thst posts you write are meant to be fun, but it seems many of us don't appreciate that they could possibly be in fun. You don't mention fun until people post in such a way that you take offence. For example, we started responding helpfully to this thread.

You need an alert to let those of us who think you are a prat know that you might still be a prat, but you're a prat who wants some fun.

[quote user="Gardengirl "]You don't mention fun until people post in such a way that you take offence. [/quote]

Thats because he only has fun when he can pretend to be hurt by people falling into his trap.

Now were his responses a little (OK a lot!) more dignified then he might have some validity.