Beam Diverters

andrewc

Ha Ha Boghound, that certainly raised your hackles, didn't it!!

Serious? Who me? Don't be so silly!

Never mind, I can always lend you a few quid if you need it 'cos I saved a fortune on the new headlights I didn't buy.

Why not hire out the Ferrari (or the mistress)and make a few quid? 

Charlotte

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Babnik,

I didn't go out of my way to "find" a garage which would pass the car, I simply went to our nearest CT Centre and made the appointment for the test.  I fully expected to have to change the lights so it was a nice surprise when she passed the test.

I feel sure that my little windscreen stamp is legal.....surely the centre would be in trouble for issuing illegal certificates otherwise?

Did you waste money? Perhaps, but then if you had done what I did you would know for sure, wouldn't you? ( Or perhaps your centre would have failed you, who knows.)

The main thing is that we have each succeeded in passing the CT in our own way.

Good luck,

Charlotte

Well Miki. You know what this means. I'll have to sell the Ferrari and eat one of the dogs for Xmas.

Give us first shout on the old Ferrari Boggie, got a nice Fiat Multipla to give as a P/X (I know you like a laugh, still it is an Italian just liker der Ferrari !!) Don't eat yer sausage dog, they taste worse than Andouillettes !

No Miki,

I don't consider myself lucky, in fact as far as I am concerned luck never came into it!

I simply did what seemed sensible....apply for the CT and be told by an expert if I needed to change or fix anything.  At the end of the day, the CT people must surely know more about this subject than the rest of us!  If they had told me to change the headlights I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but I don't see the point of spending money if it isn't necessary.

Sorry but of course you were lucky. Nearly everyone I know (OK les Opas has just passed and good luck to them) has failed to get their UK lights through the CT. The luck you had was not being told to get them changed, as has been the case for as long as I can remember in France and the luck not having to pay for their replacements.

If that's not lucky, I don't know what is. What about the dazzling of oncoming drivers, does that not count for anything? or will you simply carry on with beam deflectors, if they stay on, well fair enough or do nothing at all, seeing as how the garage passed the car headlights?

Anyway, my main point was the insurance issue, not the lights or do you think the assurance vignette on your screen will protect you against anything. Don't think that just because some assurance company has taken your money you are OK, legally. They know the 3/6 month rule and if it come to a big payout, my money would be on them taking the legal route and stating that the car should have been re-immatriculated, not definitely but a fair chance and is it worth the risk of not changing the car over ASAP?

[quote]Your just JEALOUS Miki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God sake the womans not lucky, I know about 5 brits who never changed the lights and passed !!!!![/quote]

5 in such a short time, now that is really lucky. I don't know of even a couple in all the time I have been here. 

I just hope their dazzling of oncomers doesn't get them nicked for dangerous driving and the way the gendarmes are now treating driving offences, it could be pretty expensive.

Jealous, yeh right ! Never spent more than a few bob in a breakers for a decent pair of headlights and our own cars are LHD anyway. Nice to know we won't be the cause of blinding some poor sod and causing an accident one dark evening..................................

Well, we were lucky...

When we came to France we brought with us an elderly Peugeot that we bought in UK but which was LHD and originally exported from France. That had been through all of its British MoTs with black sticky tape stuck over its yellow headlights so all we had to do when in France was rip off the tape.

I have heard of things stuck on headlights being allowed for some people in French CT, but it's not the norm. We've always had lights that point the right way thanks to having LHD cars. For some reason RHD vehicles, even with French plates, stick out like a sore thumb - and there are a lot of them round here.

We've always had lights that point the right way thanks to having LHD cars. For some reason RHD vehicles, even with French plates, stick out like a sore thumb - and there are a lot of them round here.

It's because the colours of British cars are slightly different to the French equivilant.

I know you will think this waffle but it is true!

[quote]No Miki, I don't consider myself lucky, in fact as far as I am concerned luck never came into it! I simply did what seemed sensible....apply for the CT and be told by an expert if I needed to ...[/quote]

If that's not lucky, I don't know what is. What about the dazzling of oncoming drivers, does that not count for anything? or will you simply carry on with beam deflectors, if they stay on, well fair enough or do nothing at all, seeing as how the garage passed the car headlights?

Sorry Miki,

I was under the impression that beam diverters did just that.......divert the beams, or am I being naieve? You may not know this, but they test the beam direction for the CT so mine obviously point in the right direction or the car would not have passed the test. If they point in the right direction they can't possibly dazzle oncoming drivers can they? (Just try to think about it logically!)

Why not pick on les Opas as well as me?  It's not my fault you didn't check before buying new headlights!!!!!

What makes you think I have not now rematriculated my car?

This is fun isn't it!

Charlotte

Sorry Miki,

I was under the impression that beam diverters did just that.......divert the beams, or am I being naieve?

You may not know this, but they test the beam direction for the CT so mine obviously point in the right direction or the car would not have passed the test. If they point in the right direction they can't possibly dazzle oncoming drivers can they? (Just try to think about it logically!)

Do not think that because your car passed its CT, that makes the car roadworthy etc for the full 2 years. Stick on lamp convertors are a temporary fix, to what is meant to be a permanent solution. What  happens when they fall off, do you think you are still OK because you passed the CT ? Think about that logically instead.

You are having a laugh, we must have had 14 or more CT's done on our own cars and been invoved in dozens of others and you say "you may not know this but they test the beam direction"

Really

You might want to know this, on at least 14 visits to the DRIRE to get a foreign car immatriculated due to one thing or another (mostly Japanese imports) none of the cars headlights have ever got through with beam deflectors. This has been picked up straight away and those who have not even bothered with putting them on, failed at the first hurdle on being checked.

The chap we always use in this area at the CT, has told me this morning (yet another CT for a car about to be sold) that he can not give out a CT for any car with temporary beam deflectors on the headlights.  I asked him why, he shrugged and said as far as he was concerned, the headlights had to be of the permanent type and that they dip to the correct side as per the French regs.

I told him that some Brits get through without changing the units and he again shrugged and he simply replied "not here they wouldn't",  completely in line with what I have always been told with not just him but other CT places as well. 

What makes you think I have not now rematriculated my car?

Have you then ? If not and it is of a type that will not be an automatically recognised model, you will have to go to the DRIRE, then may good luck be with you!

I will say it again, the saving of a few bob on headlights being purchased doesn't even enter the equation with me, firstly all our cars are LHD and secondly, I live here and have long realised  one has to pay out when and where necessary, saving a few bob here and there, rarely does just that and I always find it cheaper to pay out once and once only. Sod all that drive here, drive there and save a penny, I have never found that the cheapest way in the long run

Rubberduck,

"ie put the beam benders back on the car and one is legalRD"

I NEVER TOOK THE BLOODY THINGS OFF!!!!!!!

Yes Miki,

Rematriculated no problem (Renault 19). Deflectors checked and they haven't fallen off yet, will monitor the situation as per instructions.

For the inth time, I wasn't trying to save money, THEY PASSED THE CAR, NOT ME!!!!!

I'm now going to go and flog myself in public in penance for being so silly as to think that my car is now legal!!!!!!!

I'm soooooo sorry I started this! (yes, I know.......aren't we all)

Charlotte

As this is my first post, and having read the acrimonious comments further back, i'm almost frightened to join in.

I have a question relating to headlamps, and that is:

My Omega estate has Zenon headlamps, and they have a lever to adjust for continental driving. They don't give the equivalent of lhd settings but do make it safe for oncoming traffic. Would this satisfy the standards required by the CT?:

Yours nervously..... 

[quote]As this is my first post, and having read the acrimonious comments further back, i'm almost frightened to join in. I have a question relating to headlamps, and that is: My Omega estate has Zenon hea...[/quote]

My Family motto is; "Never Reveal". It's stood my family in good stead for a few hundred years!

Charlotte3. I have read through the debacle and wonder why you want everyone to pick on me? We too took our car for its CT in hope and passed.....we were quite prepared to wade through various scrapyards for the lights...but like your lucky car we didn`t need to, so why start an arguament against `les opas`? beam benders now in situe and remember the saying `dip don`t dazzle`bonne route