The cold Winter!!!!!!

Lautrec

Hope it's not really endless!We could all be in trouble- and very cold!!!  Spring seemed to spring here a few weeks ago but has since changed it's mind and pottered off somewhere else- not sure where to though!!  Brrrr....I'm off to find an extra jumper....

Spring and winter are going on at the same time, Margaret!

The lunchtime news today showed Marseille and Nice under the snow, with shots of mimosa/jasmine (yellow stuff) in full bloom, with 10cm of snow on top.

Even in our currently snowless corner here, it's bitterly cold.   I'll know it's getting warmer when my olive oil in the kitchen turns clear again!

The news did give some very sweet advice on keeping warm, told us to wear nice cosy gloves, a scarf, and a nice warm hat.   Talk about a nanny state 

Family and friends in different areas of southern Spain, report that the press are saying it is the coldest winter for close to a 100 years.

Can't beat this global warming thing can you

Was going to cut the grass today, big plans made last night around the roaring fire, woke up lovely sunshine , blue skies but just above freezing temperatures, tried the help given by the govt, bobble hat, gloves, scarf, thermals .......................and decided to leave it for a day or so.....brrrrrr, not so cold in the UK !

Wait though, in a few weeks, people wil be saying how lovely it all is and all this will be forgotten and then out will come different areas boasting how warm it all is, how fickle we all are eh

Just returned from Lanzarote, torrential rain and winds for 10 days on the trot only one sunny day in 2 weeks (the worst winter in 72 years) it snowed on Gran Canaria while we were there, first time ever in it's history.

The weather patterns of the world are definitely changing, we are in the dordogne and it has been a long cold winter, and expensive with the price of the Fuel at the moment.

When will it end?, doesn't look like it this week forecast is -9 for tonight, better get those bedsocks out.

Ann xx

P>S> Still better than living in the U.K. though ....

Well maybe.. Hardly any snow to speak of here in Bournemouth this winter, just a brief flurry this Saturday morning and nothing below -2 on the coldest nights. The daffodils have been out for about 3 weeks now, camellias, laburnum and almond blosson are all looking pretty. My son lives in southern Spain - the Jaen to Granada road was blocked with snow last night, which must be a first, and my husband nearly froze to death when he went over to our house in Normandy a couple of weeks ago.

regards

Lisa

[quote]Well maybe.. Hardly any snow to speak of here in Bournemouth this winter, just a brief flurry this Saturday morning and nothing below -2 on the coldest nights. The daffodils have been out for about 3 ...[/quote]

Exactly the same here in Swanage, but then we are just over the water!!! My husband has just at this moment left Poole for Cherbourg on one of these 24 hour trips just to check on the barn (good excuse for a night away!!). But I hate to think how cold it will be sleeping in the barn! May I ask you Lisa, where are you in Normandy?

Monika

Been snowed in every morning for the last week. Not getting the blizzards now, but we get a covering that freezes making driving treacherous. Can't get out until after midday but the sun's nice though! Apparently, there's a new wave coming in.

February last year was the same.

Wish i was a kid!

Lautrec back again to add a postscript to this thread that I had started!

I have learnt so much from the input put in my everyone and come to the conclusion that this one hell of a Winter! To compound my misery, this morning I got my Electricity bill in and as we have an all electric house, maybe you can understand my shock. It is much much more than last year at this time.

So what better than forget your worries? A nice evening dinner and a bottle of Bordeaux Superior; relax and enjoy the evening, with a suspicion of a thaw in the weather. On my second glass and halfway through the first course; a scream from ma femme dan le cuisine; there was a burst pipe and water was inches deep on the tiled floor! Yes! the anticipated thaw was upon us!

I found that a pressure joint had come apart and one hour later;  leak mended;  soaked to the skin; I gave up on eating and after a nice hot shower and coffee; and a large glass of brandy; things did not look so bad.

OK! All agreed that this is not the best of Winters, but at least it will be one that I won't forget easily. The only happy note was the knowledge that Mr Tony Blair had sent me my £200 heating allowance to help lower my costs. It sometimes pays to be old!

[quote]We're in Calvados about 15 minutes from Falaise and 10 from Pont d'Ouilly. regards Lisa[/quote]

Hi Lisa, I think we are quite close to you, our barn is near Segrie Fontaine.

I sent an e-mail to your Forum address.

Monika