New Law in France,fluorescent jacket in your car?

Rita

Has anyone else heard about the new rule regarding having to keep a fluorescent jacket in your car in France?

Have seen the following on another forum that someone at Le Havre has been fined because when stopped they did not have one of these in their car!

Apparently

www.autoindustry.co.uk, states

Legislation threatens on-the-spot fines for failure to wear high visibility clothing

A UK manufacturer of reflective safety clothing says the two million British motorists visiting France every year could face on-the-spot fines of up to €138 for not wearing high visibility clothing in the event of a breakdown, as legislation introduced in Italy and Spain earlier this year looks ready to be adopted by France and Germany in 2005.

The Spanish legislation requires a reflective jacket or waistcoat to be worn if leaving an immobilised vehicle on the carriageway at night or in poor visibility.

Viz Reflectives is the manufacturer of an award-winning reflective fluorescent safety vest for motorists which offers the same high visibility safety as those used by the emergency services.  

Anyone know about this?

Thanks

Rita

I, like many on here read the French papers and watch the TV and my guess is that when this law is passed here in France, someone on here will know about it, as and when it happens. These people that write about it from abroad mean well but are just being given leaks of what might be happening ?

I guess, that as it is law in Spain and having seen these jackets on sale in the car accessory shops in France, then perhaps it is only a matter of time ? 

Didn't I read on here  that someone had been fined on the spot here in France, dare I say a bit of dodgy dealing there then

[quote]At work ,all the vehicles have had a jacket put into them( mid january).As no extra spending is sanctionned unless forced !!!!!!!I assume that the law must have changed.[/quote]

The law has not changed, there is no requirement in France at the moment to carry a Hi Vi jacket.

I found this quote:

Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Italy and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU) if you need to walk on a motorway. In Spain we've been told you need a vest for every potential occupant of the car, and that they must be carried inside the car, rather than in the boot. Other sources have said you don't have to carry one, but if you breakdown on the motorway you will be breaking the law if you walk to an emergency phone without one

So it is only a requirement in Spain if you travel on a motorway?

Still unsure if it is law, however I think for safety I will get some anyway ready for when we move. Although I agree with Dick it is a pain if you have to have one for everyone as we have volvo with the fold down seats in the rear!

Thanks guys for your replies,

Rita

[quote]How is "jacket" interpreted? Does it have to have sleeves or would a light sleeveless vest or waistcoat similar to those worn by horse riders do?[/quote]

Perrlats

Hi-Vi vests are NOT required in France, as Miki says people who don't live here or are in Spain are hearing snippets and making 2+2 =5, they are required in Spain.IF you need to walk on a motorway or unlit road 

If you want to get one and it would be sensible if you travel in dark areas, it would appear that all you need is a vest similar to that worn by railway workers and horsemen.

As the French don't even check for GB plates, headlight convertors and emergency triangles at the Channel ports, (when was the last time you were stopped leaving a ferry or the Tunnel?)  I find it hard to believe anyone got fined for not carrying something that is NOT a requierment in France.

Good evening

I have carried a florescent jacket and florescent waistcoats in the car for years in the UK not because I have to but because I can see the value where mine or a member of my families life could be saved.

Take this scenario for example - Its a moonless night, you' re on an unlit road, you get a puncture in an offside wheel, you need to change a wheel and the verge is not wide enough for you to pull the car right off the road AND leave you enough room to change the wheel without your back overhanging the road. I know a triangle gives an approaching driver some warning but surely being visible might just save your life.

On a motorway, it is safer to have everyone out of the car on the verge than remain seated in the car. Again everyone staying visible has to be safer.

Hi Vis waistcoats can be bought for £6 or £7 pounds, surely a small price to pay for something which could help you  or a member of your family stay alive.

Paul

Thanks Ron and Paul. You're right, we've never been stopped and checked for any mandatory items but then again you never know and as Paul says, it's a good idea anyway, like the fire extinguisher we carry but I don't think is obligatory. Having to buy seven puts the price up a bit though...

We do go over the borders to Spain or Italy on occasion (never been checked there either, when did their laws come in?) so had better look into them.

I think I have also read somewhere that it is two triangles for Spain.

Actually, I reckon they're going to be the next must-have fashion accessory.  I've bought one on and I must say I look rather dashing in it.  Gives me a sort of rugged, man-of-the-world look, with suggestion of links to the police, building site supervisors, paramedics, and similar no-nonsense professions.  A hard hat and my mock-Concorde-pilot-shades would complete the look, I think.

Trouble is, it completely hides my labrador pullover.

[quote]Actually, I reckon they're going to be the next must-have fashion accessory. I've bought one on and I must say I look rather dashing in it. Gives me a sort of rugged, man-of-the-world look, with sug...[/quote]

The picture is beginning to take shape:- Green felt hat with a feather, monocle,  clipped moustache, day-glo waistcoat, leather shorts, rather fetching long wooly socks (with a boy scout leather bit in the turn-downs) pity about the shoes though, those plimsolls have to go.  Now give us a tune on that long pipey Alpenhorn thingy.   Pass me a choccy but do stop all those cuckoos going off every few minutes.

Better do something about those chapped thighs if I were you.

weedon