Frenchways

[quote]I have been trying to log onto this site for a couple of days now with no luck. ( www.frenchways.com ) It used to be quite informative. Can anyone tell me what has happened?[/quote]

'This site is under construction and coming soon'

sounds like a plug to me

Dave

[quote]I have been trying to log onto this site for a couple of days now with no luck. ( www.frenchways.com ) It used to be quite informative. Can anyone tell me what has happened?[/quote]

Lynne

The Frenchways Forum died a death last year:

When I joined here in November last year it had already been down for some weeks, I agree it was a very informative site, with some excellent correspondents.  It was also a friendly and well moderated site and consequently did not suffer from the negative and nasty posts that appear on here from time to time.

Sorry can't agree with the friendly site statement. That was the forum which had really evil people replying to serious postings and who sent out the most horrible e.mails to other members who dared to answer serious questions with their own experiences which were no different from this LF site. I know several people,who like me,had this happen to them and we never went back again after complaining to the site owners. Its been "dead" for nearly a year now.

>>That was the forum which had really evil people replying to serious postings and who sent out the most horrible e.mails to other members who dared to answer serious questions with their own experiences which were no different from this LF site<<<

If that ever happens on LF please report it to a moderator or admin straight away.

[quote]Sorry can't agree with the friendly site statement. That was the forum which had really evil people replying to serious postings and who sent out the most horrible e.mails to other members who dared t...[/quote]

Val  Don't know what site you are referring to but it does not sound like the Frenchways Forum I used. there were no evil posts or posters that I ever saw in 2003- 4  What posting names were used? 

There was one Forum with a similar name I looked at with a member called helping hand who just got abused by some idiots every item he posted, perhaps it was that one you are thinking of?  Some people also seemed to be carrying on the same arguments with the same people on more than one Forum.

In November, I posted an enquiry here about what had happened to Frenchways which was responded to by people I don't recall as posting on it, claiming that the forum was over moderated and had been killed off.  It was not killed off, as far as I know they just did not have the resources to keep it going as their core business was selling houses.   Frenchways did zap all adverts for rival services, and if over moderation meant abusive post being very quickly zapped, well give me "over moderation" every time, it certainly did not suffer from the one or two negative and abusive posters who post on here from time to time

My experience of it, was that it was a very friendly and informative site, (like the majority of postings on here), with members that you could rely on, like Newman, Toby, Black Knight and Su, who all lived in France and knew what was what.  One of the problems at the end was the lack of admin control, which led to a chaotic period where people were joining and being allowed to assume the same name as existing members, so you never knew, (as there was no post count) who was who   I used Frenchways regularly, and as with all Forums there was the minor spat and disagreement, but rarely, if ever was abuse posted or if it as it got deleted very quickly.

Anyway it looks like Frenchways has gone, which is good in some ways as I would never have needed to find an alternative for info on living in France and found LF.