Tyre regulations

Paulal

Hi, can anyone tell me -  My daughter had her car MOT'd today and was told she needed a new front tyre.  She mentioned she would be taking her car across to France in the summer and the garage told her she would now need TWO front tyres as the French regulations state the tread has to be the same on both tyres.  I have never heard of this and cannot find anything anywhere which backs up this claim.

Does anyone know if this is correct or has she been ripped off?

thanks

Paula

Here is an extract from the French [url=http://www.michelin.fr/fr/groupe_france/home.jsp] MICHELIN [/url]website: 

Tyre Use:

The choice of tyre must conform to the original vehicle equipment as defined by the vehicle manufacturer or by an official organisation. Any other configuration must be validated by a tyre professional, who will be able to propose the solution best adapted to its use, in the respect of the legislation in force.

A tyre bought second hand must be checked by a tyre professional before use.

On the same axle, it is strongly advised to use two tyres of the same tread pattern. When replacing tyres, it is advisable to fit the new tyres or the least worn on the rear axle.

Regarding winter tyres, it is advisable to equip the vehicle with four specific winter tyres, particularly for the studded tyres. Do not use incorrectly inflated tyres, drive at a speed higher than that of its rating or with a load higher than that of its rating. A temporary spare wheel should not be used as a permanent replacement

hi

ok ripped off ........sorry .  SD is spot on again ,,,, but for a french reged car !!!!

if your car is uk reged and is legal in the uk and are comming over for say a holiday ect ...its got to be legal over here.

dave

EU regulations state tyres of the same size and type must be fitted to the same axle.Type in this instance means radial,bias or cross-ply but many tyre dealers,not only in France,tell you it means identical tyres.

The tyre dealer who fits tyres to all our cars has always insisted that

the tread pattern itself must be identical, not perfect, as in the same

mark but the pattern of the tread has to be of a very similar cut when on the same axle. You

have to remember, within the range of radial tyres, there are possibly

hundreds of differing mouldings and some will not perform well on the

same axle, as a completely differing style of tyre.

And I have to say, that as far as I can see, regardless of what

some manufacturers quote,  I know of at least two places here,

that say that the rear is the place for the better set of tyres.

Paula

IMHO everyone is right. If the car is UK registered and will only visit France, then as long as the tyres are UK legal you are fine. If, on the other hand, the car will remain in France then your daughter will need to have 2 tyres with matching tread and depth of tread on the same axle or it will fail its CT - and she will need to buy 2 new tyres at that point!

This was the case with my OH's car when we came over last year - mixed tyres = fine for a holiday, no good for reregistering the car in France.

Sue

It is common sense to have the same type of tyre, not necessarily make,  on an axle as they have different braking and road holding characteristics, it is certainly a requirement anywhere not to have radial and cross ply on the same axle. 

As Miki says it is common practice in France for new tyres to be put on the rears not on the front, this is normal where there is a significant difference in the age and wear of the respective tyres.

I'm with Miki on this - mixing different tyre patterns/makes/tread depths on the same axle can seriously affect handling, particularly in the wet.

PS Yes, I know that FWD cars have 2 axles at the front!  But you know what I mean.

If she was my daughter I'd be encouraging her to have the two new tyres, which BTW is in line with what I have always thought/been told. Some things just aren't worth risking and thats one of them.

BTW in the UK I have always found Kwik fit pretty decent, and they have often checked tyres for me and not just sold me a new one - of course it could vary from Branch to Branch.

I just want to restate what I said earlier, and SD put much better - if there is any doubt about either tyre replace them, and replacing with the same tread pattern is important. The last thing you need is to start going in circles under emergency braking, or even worse in the wet. I have never been able to understand people who economise on tyres (not aimed at you Daktari, your message is different).

I always replace tyres as pairs, having once experienced the difference between a worn and a nearly-new tyre on the same axle.

A couple of times I have been to Kwik Fit just asking for the tyres to be checked and they have just checked them, given them the OK and thats that - no charge, no sales pitch and whats more they have done it all in a pleasant manner. Take as you find.

Was the other tyre newish ?

[quote user="Cassis"]I'm with Miki on this - mixing different tyre patterns/makes/tread depths on the same axle can seriously affect handling, particularly in the wet.

PS Yes, I know that FWD cars have 2 axles at the front!  But you know what I mean.
[/quote]

If I were to be perdantic (or if I could spell it?) I would correct you and say that there are 2 stub axles on the front of a FWD car, pert etra?

Paula, it depends on the state of the other front tyre as to if you daughter has been ripped off. I agree with the other posters that different tyres have vastly differing amounts of grip and it changes between wet and dry roads. Having 2 of the same at least you know that they will behave the same...

Years ago a Pirelli tyre would be better than a Michelin X in the wet but not in the dry. The X would last a lot longer though, so if you  had that mix on the front it would at least stop you getting bored. Just an example.

I hope that your daughter has a happy and safe holiday here.

John.

The CT regulations are published by the French [url=http://www.utac-otc.com/fr/otc/actu.asp]Organisme Technique Centrale[/url].  They state that under code 53338, tyres of a different structure on the same axle require a contra visit.  There is no mention of a fail for a tyre set-up involving different manufacture or tread pattern.