Front Wheel Bearing Renaut Clio

Sharkster

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

SKF are the world's largest manufacturer of bearings -  they invented the integrated hub bearing unit back in the late 1930s.  If you buy branded Renault wheel bearings, you'll find they are made by SKF.

[/quote]

Can I also point out that they make around 75% of the bearings used on railway locomotives in Europe too?

In the bad old days it could be a bit of a gamble buying non OE parts but in recent years legislation has tightened up to the extent that virtually any 3rd party items you buy through recognised channels will be up to standard and will often be from the same factory albeit in a different box and with a different name.

That's not to say dodgy stuff isn't out there but as long as you shy away from dubious sources you won't go too far wrong.

Its probably true to say that all car "manufacturers" these days are really only assembly plants. They buy in all the component parts from 3rd party suppliers and bolt them together.

Any spare parts supplied by main dealers are re-boxed / re-labelled items from the original manufacturer.

Electrical bits from the likes of Lucas or Bosch etc, bearings from SKF, FAG or Timken, body panels from Veng or similar etc etc.

Motor Factors may be a cheaper source, depending on levels of discounted prices from the original manufacturer and mark up policy.

Spare parts from the main dealer will not necessarily be from the original supplier but will be made to the original specifications.In fact,most dealers are allowed to get their parts from whoever they chose but if they don't use parts from the manufacturer,then they(dealer) are responsible for the guarantee on that part.

There may have been changes over the years, when I was in a parts supply business (Land Rovers), the main dealer was not allowed to buy from me and HAD to buy from Land Rover, even if the parts were from the same supplier, they (in some cases) were delivered to me on the same run that delivered to the Land Rover spares depot. In one door, re-boxed into green and yellow boxes and out the other end as "genuine parts"

And I did 45+ years in R&D for a major vehicle manufacturer.It was one of the biggest problems-lack of control over dealers-about 90% of our dealers are not under the control of the supplying company.

Chances are that SKF make the bearings for Renault. With many wheel bearings these days they are designed specifically for one car model only so the car manufacturer has more control over their aftermarket business, the bearing manufacturer is generally happy as it typically means that they become sole supplier of that part.

128 euros fitted is pretty good

[quote user="Sharkster"]On the subject of accidents has anybody experienced the French car insurance claims system?  I worked in car insurance for 10 year in the UK (on the sales side) and never made a claim but understand clearly all the principals of insurance.  But I was still shocked when the loss adjuster wanted me to pay 50 euros extra (on top of the excess) towards the cost of the repair to my car since one of the brake pads was worn a bit (still legal and everything) and it had to be replaced due to being damaged in the crash and they did not want me to profit from the accident (Ha! hit by an unisured driver, what a joke, profit!.  We had pictures of the driver plus the reg no of the car but the insurance company never even attempted to track him down!)

[/quote]

That is the same in the UK. Anything on a car that wears with use or age you are expected to pay towards its replacement. i.e. tyres, exhaust,battery,brake pads/shoes etc.

Regardless of who is at fault, one thing you can be sure of with a car accident is that you will be out of pocket to some degree!

Anyway, getting back on topic. SKF is a well known bearing manufacturer and supply bearing to alot of the car manufacturers. One thing alot of people don't realise is that car manufacturers only assemble cars, they hardly ever make any of the components. Another thing is they often use different manufacturers for the same type of part, so if for example your original cambelt was made by Gates, the dealers might supply you with one made by Dayco when you come to change it.