Buying tyres in Spain

Hibou

We need 2 new tyres for our car and I am sure someone once told us that tyres are much cheaper in Spain.  Has anyone any experience of this?  Would it be worthwhile making the 3 hour journey down there?

A week or so ago, on the way down to my house in 46, I had the misfortune to lose a tyre to a shard of glass forcing me into buying a new one as I was towing my big trailer and didn't fancy continuing my trip without a spare.

I'd heard that tyres were expensive in France plus my size seemed to be not readily available so I ended up with a "V" rated Firestone TZ200 for €98. It's not what I would have chosen ideally however, as they say, needs must.........!

As it happened though I was intending to replace all 4 tyres on the car prior our impending move so when back in UK I visited my favourite tyre supplier and as I do not like the idea of odd tyres on my cars bought 3 more of the same, keeping the best of my old ones as a spare, and they cost me essentially much the same as the French one had so maybe there is not much difference unless perhaps you need something esoteric or a really uncommon size.

The best place I know for comparison of UK online prices is www.blackcircles.com where I note I could have bought my 3 Firestones for about £44 apiece, plus fitting, and had I been able to spare the time waiting for them then running around getting them fitted I would have gone that route but unfortunately I didn't so I had to bite the bullet on this occasion [:(]

[quote user="Hibou"]We need 2 new tyres for our car and I am sure someone once told us that tyres are much cheaper in Spain.  Has anyone any experience of this?  Would it be worthwhile making the 3 hour journey down there?
[/quote]

I have been driving for 40years and I am of the opinion that it is better to buy locally providing you are buying from an owner/operator,even if it is slightly dearer.  

Its probably not worth the saving for the tyres alone, but if you fancy the trip, its well worth it for cheaper cigarettes and alcohol as well. (if those happen to be your vices!) Fags are almost half the price in Spain than here in France, so 3 or 4 cartons saves you your fuel costs at least, and leaves you with enough for a nice lunch.

• 2 weeks later...