Choice of Registration Number

AnOther

Does anybody know if  the staff at the Prefecture have any official scope for issuing a specific number or do they have to take them in strict rotation ?

I've seen a few cars with shall we say "interesting" numbers which the laws of probability might suggest may not have emerged by sheer chance [;-)]

I ask because I'm about to re-register my MGB and call it vanity or what you like but I thought if there were a way it would be nice if I could get something like 68 (or 1968) MG 46.

I learnt whilst re-registering my modern car a couple of days ago that they work through the alphabet and currently on KL so MG isn't so far off that in the future.

I was expecting some flack and have not been disappointed [8-|]

Let me say that I consider those who pay good money for stupid combinations of digits which supposedly "spell" some inane drivel as total pra**s however if, for the sake of asking, there is any possibility of having something meaningful on my MG, and at zero cost over and above what I'll be paying for registration anyway, then why not ?

[quote user="ErnieY"]

I learnt whilst re-registering my modern car a couple of days ago that they work through the alphabet and currently on KL so MG isn't so far off that in the future.

[/quote] 

Being in the next dept down we see a lot of 46 cars and they seem slower going through plate series than in 12. 

I think you will have a long wait for MG to come round as they have 9,999 registrations with each pair of letters, so KM is next then KN , KP  etc right through to KY missing out possibly KO and KZ then starting on MA through to MG, so you have thousands and thousands of registrations to wait for before MG plates arrive.  Add to that they are going for national registrations soon, it may be that 46 never ever gets that far through the alphabet.

Sad that Ernie is so particular about his number plate [:D] but then that is his pleasure so be it. My pleasure is a glass of Pastis before a meal (as and when I can) and I know it is just as sad!...

I am more sad for the disappearance of the old number plate system... I will no longer know where from are the people travelling . I won't know where I am when driving along the roads of France. [:(]

As kids my parents used to make us recite the entire list of départements so when travelling we knew where the cars came from. They also made us do mental arithmetic with the numbers. In the end the long journeys to go on holiday became a bit of a school ground and a bummer to the forthcoming supposed to be happy holiday....

Parents, they do... Sorry Mr Larkin I have forgotten your poem about parents.....

[quote user="Missy"]As kids my parents used to make us recite the entire list of départements so when travelling we knew where the cars came from. They also made us do mental arithmetic with the numbers. In the end the long journeys to go on holiday became a bit of a school ground and a bummer to the forthcoming supposed to be happy holiday.... [/quote]

We did the list of départements too, but my parents asked for the préfectures as well! [8-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Swot.....[geek]

[/quote][:D] [:D]

My father was always on the road and would take one of us with him during the school holidays.

With the travelling, the departements were fairly easy to remember but I could never do the préfectures though.

He could list the sous-préfectures as well and used to say we had it too easy at school!

Thinking about the luck of some who manage to get really easy to remember registration numbers, friends of mine recently bought a car on ebay.co.uk. It was in England but it was LHD and on plates that not only had the correct department number, but also the numbers to complete the post code for their town, with a double letter in the middle for good measure! They couldn't have asked for more!

[quote user="woolybanana"]It ought to enable the French State to get rid of a few fonctionnaires too, didnt it?[/quote]

Seriously WB how would that happen anyway?.  There are still going to be the same number of new registrations, done by the same offices that currently do them, all that changes is the numbers come from a national system and not a departmental one.  Each new number will be a discreet number and not possibly the same number as a car in another department except for the departmental identifier,  which is the whole idea of doing it,  If you wish, you can have your departmental number added to the plate if you want to.

EDIT Thinking about it, it would only save not having to do the departmental transfers but that will be balanced with the rush of UK plated cars being registered to prove residency[6]

Naughty.

Seriously, I dont know how many departmental transfers there are and whether they are significant in terms of the numbers of people employed in doing it.

Even registration will get much simpler with the new European CdC, thus saving more jobs.

I know, some hope. Fonctionnaires, like Civil Servants are more difficult to get rid of than dandruff.

I'll tell you what, Ernie, why don't you take your car back to the UK and register it with an "MG" number. Then bring it back to France and we can revive the "non-resident registration" thread.   There are only about twenty pages of it, and it's been quiet for a few days now.

[quote user="allanb"]I'll tell you what, Ernie, why don't you take your car back to the UK and register it with an "MG" number. Then bring it back to France and we can revive the "non-resident registration" thread.   There are only about twenty pages of it, and it's been quiet for a few days now.

[/quote]

Yeah ,go on Ernie, go on .I double dog dare you[:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

Ern - my mist-wagen was registered in Feb 04 as a KB so you will have to run your Morris for some years on a UK plate till you get to MG. I'm confident the car will make it but you ? [:D]

John

not

Well there must be something to it because I have just seen in the village not 1 but 2 Porche's, one with reg 944 KL 46 and the other with 911 something 46, and I refuse to believe those are sheer serendipity.

Mind you, Porche generally = €€€€ = contacts and influence, none of which unfortunately are my strong suites..................[:-))]