Citroen Xantia 2ltr HDI

opas

has anyone else had this problem?

I drive this car, a few weeks ago a light came on , on the dashboard. I have the Heynes manual but the symbol is not shown in there. The light is orange and the picture looks like an engine blowing air!  I have noticed a reduction in speed performance going uphill, I took it to our local Citroen dealer who plugged it to the computer....when they did the light went out so they sent me on my way without charge.

The deisel consumption appears normal, around 50mpg. But this light has come back on....I am on my own at the moment and do not need to be broken down on a country road at tnight, has anyone got any suggestions, hubby suggested a blocked injector and to go and buy something to go in the tank, only thing is the nearest place I can buy that is about 6k down aforesaid country road.

I drive an '07  VW diesel and while I don't recognise the symbol I do recognise the symptoms!

I don't recall the name of the particular part but if it's like mine, you can drive indefinitely with it although perhaps not very safely if you live in an area with a lot of hills.

Initially the garage, over the phone, thought we might have bought dirty diesel and suggested a motorway run but we were already 400 odd kms into our return journey to Calais on that tankful so they suggested we pull into a local VW dealer for a diagnostic. The very nice man there in Clermont Ferrand said it was safe to continue but to bring it to our garage when we got home.

Here's the real techie bit (!) We had a problem with split rubber connectors to a long, crooked  metal pipe. End of techie bit! VW replaced the pipe and provided metal cuffs free of charge and provided a courtesy car while we waited for the parts to come from Germany. Apparently it has been a recognised problem with some of the VW commercial vehicles but a first for our garage and indeed for us after 14 years of driving non commercial VWs.

The sybol is on the very top left of the dash display. I was only worried that it may mean that the engine may seize up![:(]

Hubby bled it once before and did get some air out of the system , so this is perhaps this is the bush/washer giving problems.

Thanks to all and I will look at that link cooperola gave too,

Crap / water in diesel fuel filter.?...you should be able to drain off the fuel filter water from under the filter bowl... .the filter should be changed after so many miles anyway......I would check this out first.....when was the last time you bought a new fuel filter ?  For diesels there is an additive that you put in the fuel tank that cleans out the injectors ......it pays to use that from time to time to keep the injectors from gumming up .....I run a Citroen diesel and regularly use the stuff ....there is a rubber bulb in the fuel line that you can squeese to prime the pump .....you could try and do this to force the pressure a bit if the light comes on again and you lose power  that just might help if its muck in the filter ..worth a try ...good luck

[blink]

I have just got back from the garage. Mr O is jumping up and down and is probably in casualty by now!!!

The mechanic has given me a devis......only 1,852.40 euros....tax is included!

They recon it is the Turbo[Www][:-))][8-)]

I think I shall try another garage tomorrow!

The effect of a dud turbo would normally be very noticeable as a distinct lack of power and acceleration so by all means get a second opinion, it may be that there is something peripheral to the actual turbo at fault.

I have to say that I'm not wholly convinced that the warning light you have is indicative of a turbo fault. The turbo and the injection system are two seperate items and whilst a fault or failure of the turbo would not neccessarily be a threat to the catalytic converter an injection fault most certainly could be.

The fact that your fuel consumption is still somewhere around normal suggests that if there is an injection fault it's relatively minor and not seriously overfuelling the engine which could lead to a poisoning of the converter.

I'm rather surprised that the citroen garage didn't spot the fault first time round though.

Do let us know how you get on.

PS: If it is the turbo there is a thread here http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1081041/ShowPost.aspx for help with combating alcohol abuse......[Www]

I had a similar thing on my old Saab.

Turned out to be the MAF  (mass air flow) meter.

Same symptoms, loss of performance and light on the dash.

Dont know how much it cost to fix as it was a company car but I believe the MAF is about £70.

I agree with ernie y about it not being the turbo or you would really struggle to get anywhere.

Hope you get it sorted