Rotten barstewards

Val_2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to have a daft car, you could do worse than a Tuscan.

Built in Blackpool, insane looking, not a Porsche/Ferrari etc.

I had an imported Subaru in north Manchester (4 doors, big boot....).

2k a year third party insurance. Attempted theft every week I had it.

It was eventually nicked from a secure car park and smashed to pieces - but not enough to write off!

If someone only stole my dust covers I'd be pleased. It's all relative.

Is that when you were working on the 360s and learning how to punch cards?? I used to have to mend those things, 081 if I remember correctly. Right through from the ones that used wire relay technology, then valves to transistors.

Stacks of cards for yer JCL and for gawds sake don't shuffle 'em! By the way, that's where 'Jonzjob' comes from. We had to have a name to use for our JCLs on my hardware engineer basic training course with IBM...

Sorry, hijack over!!

I had a Morris Marina Estate as a company car in the 70's as well.  It actually wasn't too bad - 1800 engine and stiffer suspension than the awful saloon/coupé versions.

I'd had it for three weeks when I did a hill climb in it up in Weardale - but knackered the gearbox when going sideways up a hairpin over a cattle grid. 

Managed to avoid getting the sack by sweethearting the dealer into replacing the box under warranty....[Www]

They wern't as bad as the press they received. The 1.8 engine was the same as used in the MGB and quite gutsy.

Mine endured endless abuse doing 40-50k PA without major complaint and was still going strong after about 3 years when it was handed down to another, less mobile, employee.

On one notable occasion I had to get to a radio/TV station atop a hill just outside Swansea. BT used landrovers to reach it but undaunted I tackled it in the Marina. The first attempt was a dismal failure so I backed down and took a rather more determined run at it. This time I succeeded in reaching the top but when I got out I heard hissing and discovered that I'd dented 3 out of the 4 wheel rims and the BT guys on site had to help me take them to a tyre shop to be hammered out and the tyres replaced.

Those were the days [:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Those were the days [:D]

[/quote]

You were LUCKY!

After a few more months, they put me into an Austin Allegro 1500.....[:-))]

The same day as it was delivered by the dealer, I took the girlfriend out for dinner (Mrs Sunday, as it happens) and the front O/S suspension tie rod pulled itself out of the subframe in the restaurant car park.

We ended up using it to make rally pace notes in the Yorkshire Dales - albeit a bit slower than the 1293 Cooper 'S' I was using for the actual event....[;-)]