Télépéage advice please

MrCanary

Yes

had one for 4 years.

Do they work - yes.  Had 2 failures, one on entry and got a paper ticket instead.  At the other end handed over the ticket and the "doofer" - what we all call the transponder - bar code on the back was scanned and the doofer handed back.  Second time nothing happened at all on entry had to reverse out and go to another gate.  On going through saw that the next car had the same problem so the gate antenae must have been down.  (Should say that I probably clock 200 gates per year).  Edit: that's way understated - probably nearer 450.

Does it save money - depends on which package is on offer and how you use it.  My package from APRR allows one trip in 6 free on a defined (by me) stretch of road - Germany to Lyon at 23,5€ soon pay for the 24€ per year charges, but other deals give no financial advantage at all.

Does it save time - I know you did not ask, but it sure does.  Especially when the queue on the A7 North or A6 South at Lyon is 40 minutes to 1 hour - like most summer weekends.

I've had one for a couple of years and don't yet live in France but wouldn't be without it.

In my case it doesn't save money but it does offer a couple of massive advantages.

1. If you are driving a right hand drive on your own (or with a sleeping passanger) it makes the whole process much easier.

2. If you are travelling anywhere in the south during the summer you will save a huge amount of time as the queues for the telepay lanes are universally many times shorter.

Definately worthwhile having one. Had ours for 18 months or so and wouldn't be without it for same reasons stated by others although the RHD problem no longer exists [;-)]

Apart from a €2/mth fee (only for month's when you actually use it) there is no particular financial advantage or disadvantage to having one, unless you regard the loss of interest on the €30 (refundable) deposit as a matter of grave concern [:P]

OH says ours has failed her a couple of times but never for me so possibly toll booth problems not the doofah itself.

They do contain a lithium battery which will eventually expire but you can exchange them at some of the larger 'Boutiques' on the peage.

Do it !

They are great for all the reasons stated above and for when I had a UK registered car, I could sucker some Brit to try and beat the queues by going into the clearly marked 'Telepeage only' lane [6]

Just a point to note is that if you link the Doofer to a credit card (normal thing to do) if the credit card expires then the Doofer is blocked.  Very easy to update it with new card details via their website or by giving them a call.

Like ErnieY, ours costs €2 per month when used, so no monetary advantage; but as already stated, lots of time saved when there are long queues!                                                                                                                                                                                              Another bonus arises in bad weather - no more getting my arm soaked when trying to put the credit card in the machine, which can be very awkward, and no need for OH to try to steer close up to the pay machine and sometimes failing, meaningI undo seat belt and wriggle close enough to pop credit card in machine!

We find it sooo useful, Jo

They aren't actually cards but a small unit that can be stuck on the windscreen.  They can be obtained through this site:  http://www.sanef.com/fr/ecommerce/particulier/index.jsp  .I believe there are other suppliers but Sanef is the one we use.

Just wanted to back up all that has been said, really!

I wouldn't be without mine as it's mostly just me and the cat travelling and she's hopeless at getting the ticket (no opposable thumbs)- on a dark, cold, wet evening it's great not to have to even lower the window, let alone get out and run round the car.

Plus you can send French drivers nuts when they think you are a dumb Brit going into 'their' lane!

Re the credit-card-expiry issue, Sanef alerted me well in advance of the expiry date so I was able to give them the new details and avoid a hiccup in service.

Due to cat's lack of opposable thumbs I have no option but to stick mine to the windscreen or risk crashing into barrier while fumbling for doofer dropped on floor... But fortunately the satnav crims round these parts have never mistaken one for the other...

... wait, was that the sound of breaking glass?