Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


freddy's Achievements


Newbie (1/14)



  1. Update - went down there with all that and they didn't want any of it, saying the passport alone was fine, along with a utility bill.
  2. I am going through this now and one of the documents they have asked for is a titre de sejour. Now I haven't got one of those as it is no longer a requirement. Does anyone else have any experience of what else is acceptable? I am going to try turning up with copies of: - a piece of paper from the notaire showing I own a house. - an income tax receipt - the registration for my business - tax fonciere sheet Prefecture is in Draguignan.
  3. [quote user="pachapapa"] "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur", A typical oxymoron as "entrepreneur" is a french word. [/quote] Indeed,  that rather being the point of the joke
  4. [quote user="Pommier"]It's an old folk myth in the UK that peoples debts die with them. It'd be unfair if they did![/quote] Yes and no - it is true that the debt is still owing and is claimable from the estate - however, if there is not enough in the estate to pay the debts then the debt dies with them. This contrasts with France where, I believe, the deceased debts can be 'passed on' to their family on their death. In the UK you cannot 'inherit a debt', this is not universally true.
  5. Sorry about that - I do have the EHIC card I'm just used to referring to it as an E111 from the olden days.
  6. [quote user="AnOther"]I stand to be corrected here but I think the fact that you have actually got your E106 may mean that technically you are not entitled to NHS care anymore even though you may not have left yet. On the E106 application you state the date you expect to be leaving the UK and that is a cutover point. That said even if it is so it's unlikely anybody would pick up on it. [/quote] Many thanks for all the replies that makes me feel much better about this. For other peoples information I did check the point above with the E106 people in Newcastle (now the S1 team) and once you have the form your withdrawal from the NHS only happens once they receive the paperwork from the french side so that at least is not a problem!
  7. Hi Can someone who has transferred to french system on the S1 (or E106 or whatever it was before) help me out on a bit of the mechanism. I have the relevant form from Newcastle that I can hand in in France that entititles me to cover. My understanding is that once you have filled in the forms and handed them is, there is a period of time until the carte vitale turns up. (How long is this in peoples experience?) My question is this: What happens if I needed medical treatment during this period. Do they give you a temporary card or letter straight away or am I covered by my E111 until the carte vitale turns up or something else? The reason I ask is that I want to move to France now but the NHS is trying to figure out something and keeps saying they need to do another test in 6 weeks time - so this is stuff that does need to be done but is not life threatening or an emergency- but is threatening to drag on for months. So my ideal answer is to move over and deal with it over there but I am concerned about a potential gap in cover, as sods law dictates that if there is a gap something urgent will need doing!
  8. Also get both wills done professionally by someone conversant in both sets of law. This is because an English will normally starts with a statement revoking all previous wills and codicils - matching wills in the two countries need to acknowledge each other's existence.
  9. Yes-ish he is broadly correct - the issue may not be strictly overloading but balanacing - if you have three phase supply what you take off each phase should be roughly the same it does not have to be exact. If you have several high wattage things and they all come on at the same time on a single phase that could easily be the cause. What you need to do is shift some of the load onto the other two phases - you would proably do this at the fuse board - unless you really know what you are doing this is a job for an electrician.
  10. I seem to remember when the whole changes in health cover thing blew up there was a sugestion that you would be able to enter CMU if you were unable to get private insurance due to a pre-exisitng or chronic condition. I have no idea whether this came about as I was only reading it out of general interest - can't even remember the source I'm afraid.
  11. It is possible and legal for the funds to remain in sterling - some notaires say the money is legally required to go through their account this isn't true and should be read as 'this is a bit hard and unfamiliar, so I'm going to say its impossible' for the full story see: http://www.sykesanderson.com/Service_France/articles/french_sale_in_sterling.asp
  12. Another idea that might be worth considering and discussing with the notaire would be to sell your house and then formally lend the money to your husband - with a signed agreement. In theory, in the event of his death you then have a debt against his estate which would need to be repaid. I have no idea whether this would work under french rules. It does have the obvious disadvantage that you don't own any part of the house so would not get any benefit from any capital gain, you would only be entitled to your money back and possibly some interest. Though equally you wouldn't be exposed to any fall in value either!
  13. Another thought - there are cameras on the end of cables for looking at the pipe for breaks and also tracking thingies where you run the cable through the pipe and then track the pipe overground with another thingy that looks like a metal detector. Presumably you can hire them - can't help with french for thingy as not sure what the right names are in english but Dynorod etc, use them the whole time. As a further thought it might be possible to run a smaller plastic pipe through the existing pipe, depending on the diameter,  as a kind of liner but you would have to do some thinking about how to push the pipe through that length. I would imagine you would need to use compressed air to blow a cork on a piece of string through, use that to pull through a thin steel cable and use that to pull through the liner pipe with a carefully constructed pointy end to get past any partial blockages.
  14. You are, I think, getting two things mixed up. QROPS (Qualifying recognised overseas penison) is a scheme where you can have your entire pension fund i.e. the pension pot. transferred abroad - the recieving scheme has to be recognised by the UK government. I think what you want to do is just have your UK pension paid in Euros - your pension or annuity provider should be able to do this easily, they are used to it. If you really mean transfer (i.e. QROPS)  this is big decision and should not be undertaken lightly you would need to do some serious research and take advice but be very wary as advisors may well recommend it for their own selfish, commsion based, reasons. This is only a viable options for private pensions anyway - I'm pretty sure you won't be able to transfer company, government or state pensions even if you wanted to. You may not even be able to transfer protected rights private pensions. For what its worth my (minimal) research would suggest that moving a pension fund to France is unlikely to be a good idea. There are no tax advantages and the whole industry is less well developed as private pensions are unusual in France.
  15. I havn't fully thought through all of you post but can see where you are making a basic error of understanding that may make a significant difference. IHT tax is not not a tax on the beneficiaries at all it is a tax on the estate. So in the UK any amount left IN TOTAL after the tax free allowance gets taxed at 40%
  • Create New...