Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Everything posted by freddy

  1. Update - went down there with all that and they didn't want any of it, saying the passport alone was fine, along with a utility bill.
  2. I am going through this now and one of the documents they have asked for is a titre de sejour. Now I haven't got one of those as it is no longer a requirement. Does anyone else have any experience of what else is acceptable? I am going to try turning up with copies of: - a piece of paper from the notaire showing I own a house. - an income tax receipt - the registration for my business - tax fonciere sheet Prefecture is in Draguignan.
  3. [quote user="pachapapa"] "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur", A typical oxymoron as "entrepreneur" is a french word. [/quote] Indeed,  that rather being the point of the joke
  4. [quote user="Pommier"]It's an old folk myth in the UK that peoples debts die with them. It'd be unfair if they did![/quote] Yes and no - it is true that the debt is still owing and is claimable from the estate - however, if there is not enough in the estate to pay the debts then the debt dies with them. This contrasts with France where, I believe, the deceased debts can be 'passed on' to their family on their death. In the UK you cannot 'inherit a debt', this is not universally true.
  5. Sorry about that - I do have the EHIC card I'm just used to referring to it as an E111 from the olden days.
  6. [quote user="AnOther"]I stand to be corrected here but I think the fact that you have actually got your E106 may mean that technically you are not entitled to NHS care anymore even though you may not have left yet. On the E106 application you state the date you expect to be leaving the UK and that is a cutover point. That said even if it is so it's unlikely anybody would pick up on it. [/quote] Many thanks for all the replies that makes me feel much better about this. For other peoples information I did check the point above with the E106 people in Newcastle (now the S1 team) and once you have the form your withdrawal from the NHS only happens once they receive the paperwork from the french side so that at least is not a problem!
  7. Hi Can someone who has transferred to french system on the S1 (or E106 or whatever it was before) help me out on a bit of the mechanism. I have the relevant form from Newcastle that I can hand in in France that entititles me to cover. My understanding is that once you have filled in the forms and handed them is, there is a period of time until the carte vitale turns up. (How long is this in peoples experience?) My question is this: What happens if I needed medical treatment during this period. Do they give you a temporary card or letter straight away or am I covered by my E111 until the carte vitale turns up or something else? The reason I ask is that I want to move to France now but the NHS is trying to figure out something and keeps saying they need to do another test in 6 weeks time - so this is stuff that does need to be done but is not life threatening or an emergency- but is threatening to drag on for months. So my ideal answer is to move over and deal with it over there but I am concerned about a potential gap in cover, as sods law dictates that if there is a gap something urgent will need doing!
  8. Also get both wills done professionally by someone conversant in both sets of law. This is because an English will normally starts with a statement revoking all previous wills and codicils - matching wills in the two countries need to acknowledge each other's existence.
  9. Yes-ish he is broadly correct - the issue may not be strictly overloading but balanacing - if you have three phase supply what you take off each phase should be roughly the same it does not have to be exact. If you have several high wattage things and they all come on at the same time on a single phase that could easily be the cause. What you need to do is shift some of the load onto the other two phases - you would proably do this at the fuse board - unless you really know what you are doing this is a job for an electrician.
  10. I seem to remember when the whole changes in health cover thing blew up there was a sugestion that you would be able to enter CMU if you were unable to get private insurance due to a pre-exisitng or chronic condition. I have no idea whether this came about as I was only reading it out of general interest - can't even remember the source I'm afraid.
  11. It is possible and legal for the funds to remain in sterling - some notaires say the money is legally required to go through their account this isn't true and should be read as 'this is a bit hard and unfamiliar, so I'm going to say its impossible' for the full story see: http://www.sykesanderson.com/Service_France/articles/french_sale_in_sterling.asp
  12. Another idea that might be worth considering and discussing with the notaire would be to sell your house and then formally lend the money to your husband - with a signed agreement. In theory, in the event of his death you then have a debt against his estate which would need to be repaid. I have no idea whether this would work under french rules. It does have the obvious disadvantage that you don't own any part of the house so would not get any benefit from any capital gain, you would only be entitled to your money back and possibly some interest. Though equally you wouldn't be exposed to any fall in value either!
  13. Another thought - there are cameras on the end of cables for looking at the pipe for breaks and also tracking thingies where you run the cable through the pipe and then track the pipe overground with another thingy that looks like a metal detector. Presumably you can hire them - can't help with french for thingy as not sure what the right names are in english but Dynorod etc, use them the whole time. As a further thought it might be possible to run a smaller plastic pipe through the existing pipe, depending on the diameter,  as a kind of liner but you would have to do some thinking about how to push the pipe through that length. I would imagine you would need to use compressed air to blow a cork on a piece of string through, use that to pull through a thin steel cable and use that to pull through the liner pipe with a carefully constructed pointy end to get past any partial blockages.
  14. You are, I think, getting two things mixed up. QROPS (Qualifying recognised overseas penison) is a scheme where you can have your entire pension fund i.e. the pension pot. transferred abroad - the recieving scheme has to be recognised by the UK government. I think what you want to do is just have your UK pension paid in Euros - your pension or annuity provider should be able to do this easily, they are used to it. If you really mean transfer (i.e. QROPS)  this is big decision and should not be undertaken lightly you would need to do some serious research and take advice but be very wary as advisors may well recommend it for their own selfish, commsion based, reasons. This is only a viable options for private pensions anyway - I'm pretty sure you won't be able to transfer company, government or state pensions even if you wanted to. You may not even be able to transfer protected rights private pensions. For what its worth my (minimal) research would suggest that moving a pension fund to France is unlikely to be a good idea. There are no tax advantages and the whole industry is less well developed as private pensions are unusual in France.
  15. I havn't fully thought through all of you post but can see where you are making a basic error of understanding that may make a significant difference. IHT tax is not not a tax on the beneficiaries at all it is a tax on the estate. So in the UK any amount left IN TOTAL after the tax free allowance gets taxed at 40%
  16. Top tip teapot! I will have a crack at that first my only major concern is that there may not be enough slack in the flexible pipe to fully engage - but will have to check when I'm there. Many Thanks
  17. Hi I have the following problem: After the pump and filter there is a junction between the rigid grey pipe and the semi-flexible white(ish) pipe that carries the water back to the jets, this joint is leaking when the pump is running i.e. when the joint is under pressure. Looking at it the white pipe seems to be inserted into the rigid grey sleeve and glued in place. My first thought was to drain down to below the jets - drain down the area of the leak, pursuade the glued joint to come apart with suitable sharp implements, clean and then reglue. my question is - is this going to work because I seriously doubt that I will be able to get the two surfaces properly clean and glue free? Would this joint hold or is it just going to go again in a few months? The alternative is to cut back the grey pipe and the white and fashion a completely new joint with the relevant bits which will be a pain in the a**e of a job. Anyone tried this?
  18. I suggest you have a wander through google but I'm almost certain the guarantee is independent of the residence of the holder. See as a starting point http://www.fscs.org.uk/ which details the scheme - this doesn't seem to mention any exclusions of where the customer lives and I'm pretty sure it would. To support this consider the these recent events - 1.Icelandic bank goes belly up - huge fuss because the Icelandic government is refusing to cover UK savers - it is made very clear that this is their obligation, but UK gov. will cover if necessary. 2.Irish government fully guarantees all deposits in Irish banks - they make it clear that UK depositors are covered by this better guarantee - this results in large amounts of saving pouring into Irish banks and much whining about it not being fair from the rest of the EU. 3. Big fuss over Ilse of Mann banks which are not covered by the UK guarantee even though many (most?) depositors are UK mainland resident. All this would strongly suggest that it is location of the bank (or rather the banking licence) and not of the customer that controls. The only possible problem I can see is if you had deposits in, say, an Icelandic bank that does belly up and the Icelandic government refuses to pay up. Do you seek cover from the UK (where you openned the account) or france where you are resident.
  19. No idea whether this applies but it is also possible that as part of his registration he has some sort of professional indemnity insurance (it may be compulsory??) - it could be worth checking tht route as well
  20. There us another option which is to sell the policy to third party - I know this usually gives a better value than surrender but I assume that the differnce gets smaller as the end date approaches. This article http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/endowments/article.html?in_article_id=417514&in_page_id=55 explains it somewhat - the benefit in your case could also be that you should get a pretty good idea what the expectation of the terminal bonus might be based on what is offered.
  21. [quote user="parsnips"][quote user="Lilly"] I have a friend in a similar situation, she would like to sell her house here in France to buy a smaller property, one of the"children" is currently going through bancrupcy in the UK would she loose this portion  as ideally I think the children would like her to keep the difference in price ( not really loads of money but a difference to be sure)  can anyone shine any light on this.   Lilly [/quote]         It occurs to me that a possible solution would be for the bankrupt "child" to give his/her part of the house to your friend.(I'm not sure about the strict legality but it would be hard to detect from the UK). It would have to be done by a notaire, and the downside is that there would be notaire's fees based  on the value, but unless the part was worth more than €151950 there would be no Gift Tax.         Your friend should see a notaire , preferably an ENGLISH-FLUENT one, to discuss this. [/quote] I can answer this if the property was in the UK and it should still work this way with a property is in France - the party going bankrupt can't 'give' the property to anyone as the OR will take a very dim view and as the property ownership is registered etc. far too easy to spot. However they can sell their beneficial interest in the property - the best way for this to happen is fro one of the co-owners to buy them out - an argument to the OR that a share in the property isn't worth much on the open market an would be calculated at forced sale prices should mean that an offer of 25 - 30 percent of the apparent value would be OK. The transfer of ownership would have to go through a notaire and it is possible that you can pay the OR the amount paid less the tax liablity. You need to talk to CAB or a bankruptcy service in the UK. In the UK the OR could force the sale of the house if appropriate - no idea if the could do this cross border and even if they can, unless the amount of of money is large it is unlikely that they would see it as worthwhile.
  22. The notaire checking the house insurance only applies if you have a mortage and is presumably an ongoing condition of any mortgage to protect the mortgagors interests. If you by for cash the notaire may tell you it is sensible to have insurance but there is no compulsion.
  23. We have a small stream on the borders of our land and the deeds (as explained by the notaire) clearly state that we can take water from it but we may not cut it i.e. prevent it from flowing on further downhill. On the basis of this and the above answers it sounds as though the rather unhelpful answer to the original question is 'it depends' - you are going to require some fairly expert opinions to know what the case is in this specific insatnce. A friendly chat saying that the lake needs the waterflow with whoever diverted it could be more productive in the first instance.
  24. There is one other point you may wish to consider - depending on the size of your complete estate it may make sense for your sons to nominally lend you the money rather than give it to you as in the event of your death they can then take that amount back outside of your estate (as it is a debt) potentially avoiding UK IHT. The potential downside is that if they die/get divorced/ go bankrupt that money is owed to them so could be reclaimed. Whether this is sensible will depend on the exact circumstances, ages etc. so you will want to think it through and probably take advice.
  25. Also not a lawyer but I am pretty sure that without your signature it cannot be enforced. When I was buying I read up on the process in several books and websites and the advice was clear cut, the deal is not done until all the signatures are in place ( and 7 days beyond that from the buyers perspecitive). Indeed that would be a core part of the argument - the 7 days 'cooling' off doesn't start until the last signature is in place so that is when the contract is formed. If yo uare still concerned, I would have a chat to the notaire or even the agent who will know the exact law after all that is part of the notaires job. I think that the threat of legal action is largely an empty one given that suing in france is difficult, expensive, unlikely to suceed and even if it did no money has changed hands so any amount of damages is likely to be limited. If I was your dissapointed buyer I would probably try to bluster you into honouring the contract but would be aware that I was basically on a hiding to nothing.
  • Create New...