caravan chassis to trailer

sharkhunter

Thanks Gosub, the axle weight is 850 kg if that makes any difference ? Do you mean that i will have to go to the same place as i go to do the car registration ? or just buy the registration plates to match the towing vehicle. Sorry for asking the question if the answer is obvious but i need to be sure before embarking on this venture, Hugh.

PS if you are not sure thanks anyway for the info you have given.

In 2 simple words - forget it.

At 850kg it will need registering which means a Certificate of Conformity which clearly you won't have.

Failing this to stand any chance of registering it you would need individual CoC's for the major components, axle(s), brakes, hitch etc. and then a DRIRE inspection. Again as you will almost certainly not be able to get those certs it's another dead end.

All in all your project is a complete a non starter.

hi

bought a wonderful trailer in the uk about 8 years ago which was made from a very old caravan chassis.  I've used it ever since here in france and only rebuilt the lower wooden bits once.  Its carried many a generous half a cube of sand or gravel.  The last two years I've towed it on french plates, ok I know its illegal but needs must.  I've since discovered 'free deliveries' of sand, stone etc. and rarely use it, just down to the decheterie.  I'm going to sell it to someone with a uk reg car or keep it and get a uk reg car myself.  I ended up paranoid that I would be stopped by the gendarmes, fortunately it didn't happen, took a violent left once on noticing a gendarme spot check ahead.  My advice as always is don't do it unless you have a uk plated vehicle.

Hi all, thanks for info and i suppose that all said and done i will probably bin the idea, however.......... is the axle weight not just a limit to what you can legally carry? and i have seen large trailers sold in the brico's. Do these have CoC's or are they under a certain amount of kilo's per axle ?

Anyway, again thanks for all info....................next project...

You will find that both the single and twin axle variants of those French "builders trailers" by pure chance have a gross weight of 499kg despite regularly carrying mny times that amount.

The twin axle type which can clearly handle a lot more weight than the single axle variant actually has a lower carrying capacity (ie the combined weight of the axle, suspension and wheels) in order to maintain the same "illusionary" 499kg gross weight.

To the OP if you are set on building your own trailer then it is a question of assessing the likelyhood of being stopped/weighed etc against the amende of €90.

I have an unregistered goods trailer that I built 24 years ago it has no weight plate or markings as they were not a requirement, to look at it could pass for a 499kg one but clearly home built, I use it on an almost daily basis (towed by my french registered car and using its number plate)  I use it like you avoid delivery charges and often will carry 1600kg. I have been stopped for a document check whilst laden but the trailer didnt even given a second glance as I am no different to any one else at the builders merchants or dechetterie.

I also have my classic car on a home made converted caravan chassis but his is mainly in storage and has only done around 10 journeys in France.

Finally I have a French built  but unregistered Esterel folding caraven which I bought for a song in the UK, this too should really be registered as it is about 850kg all up, maybe I will do it one day as it will be the only one that should be relatively easy but I am in no hurry.

So to recap it is a question for your conscience, remember that a €90 amende equals the cost of 2 or 3 deliveries, I have saved literally thousands since moving here as I had done before in the UK.

Like many things it's down to luck although quite what the possible repurcussions of having an accident whilst towing illegally might be I wouldn't care to ponder.

Worth mentioning is that along with the €90 fine the Gendarmes also have the power to prevent you from continuing your journey with aforesaid trailer thus forcing you to perhaps leave it at the roadside whilst you arrange alternative transport for your load.

In the long term I will probably do something about the caravan to avoid any problems a long way from home, and possibly losing the roof above our heads [:)].

The car trailer is safely in storage and will not be moving for a very long time.

My workhorse trailer (actually I would never abuse a horse in the same way!) would be impossible to register and given that its dimensions are smaller than a lot of "soi disant" 499kg ones if it were ever subjected to scrutiny the worst case would be (gross) overloading and not having the weights marked on the chassis.

Given that I am less than 1km form the dechetterie and only a little more from the builders merchants in town I shant lose too much sleep.

When  I return with .8m3+ of sand/stones/whatever (you ask for and pay for 0.25m3 and they keep filling until you say stop) I have to stop and then do a very strained hillstart right outside the Gendarmerie, I would normally creep across the junction if it were clear but cannot when the G men are on the corner, they always look at me with sympathy but never disbelief as they see a lot worse every day with overloaded rubber band suspended trailers sometimes towed by mobylettes.