Changes in Controle Tecnique requirements.

BobDee

Bad day yesterday...Both my old cars failed the CT. Two years back, both passed with no problems, but now new rules apparently apply.

1) A car must have the tyre sizes as originally fitted when first produced. In my case a 1987 Mercedes 300E originally fiited with 195/16's, but for the past 10 years fitted with 205/16's. Very sad and expensive to have replace 4 good tyres with good tread  to comply.

2) Head lamps must dip to the right. My Chrysler Voyager has american style lamps that dip down, not to the right or to the left. Two years ago, no problems, now must be changed.

Any one else experienced this?

Yes to the tires.....I've found a cheaper site for tires if it helps you:-

http://www.123pneus.fr/

They are frankly cheaper than French companies! 

As for headlights, I am sure that is questionable.  I took my jeep grand cherokee over, the headlights on the jeep are central, neither left nor right, and they passed it.  Check up on that last point there!  So long as it doesn't bother on-coming traffic, that's all they are worried about....or SHOULD be worried out....hmmmm, I was fuming when I went to see them, they pick on things which are stupid and they can't be talked to!

Good luck

If the CT station has "failed" a car (which they don't actually do anyway, its called requiring a contra visit), then it needs rectification before that station will issue a CT.

There is a list of points to be checked and each CT station follows that and of course there is a degree of interpretation on many items as to the degree of the problem, one station might not have a problem with central dipping lights, another might.  We all know of CT stations that have passed UK RHD  cars with tape and/or beam convertors over the lights but that does not make it right or safe to have this, quite frankly anyone who drives such a car is just plain reckless in my view, but that is another issue.

The rules for CTs have changed, but if you don't think that an item has been judged fairly it is open to appeal if you want to waste days doing it, if you think the CT station was wrong take the car to another CT station, they're not exactly hard to find are they?

[quote user="BobDee"]

Bad day yesterday...Both my old cars failed the CT. Two years back, both passed with no problems, but now new rules apparently apply.

1) A car must have the tyre sizes as originally fitted when first produced. In my case a 1987 Mercedes 300E originally fiited with 195/16's, but for the past 10 years fitted with 205/16's. Very sad and expensive to have replace 4 good tyres with good tread  to comply.

[/quote]

Bob, have you looked at the little sticker on the inside of the fuel filler-cap. It may show alternative tyre sizes applicable to your car.

Just a thought.

Here is the official UTAC technical instruction relating to [url=http://www.utac-otc.com/Upload/base_doc/1200/SRVF4-1_2008_ECLAIRAGE_b.pdf]vehicle lighting[/url] for the CT inspection:

It would seem that headlamps in use prior to the introduction of the 'Code EuropĂ©en [url=http://admi.net/eur/loi/leg_euro/fr_399L0017.html](1999/17/CE)[/url] can have a flat beam pattern, whereas those of later manufacture display an assymetrical beam.

Here is the technical instruction relating to [url=http://www.utac-otc.com/Upload/base_doc/1199/SRVF5-1_LIAISON%20AU%20SOL_C.pdf]tyres[/url] - section 4.4

It can only be for safety reasons of course but I do find this a bit draconian. When you consider that in some cases essentially identical vehicles sourced in different EU countries can be supplied with different size tyres you do have to wonder exactly where the danger lies.

I've just checked the CofC for my car which was originally Belgian registered and has 205x16's. It mentions 195x16 but there is also an appendix which mentions the 205's so hopefully I'll be OK come the time. It's crazy thought because you can now envisage the situation where, of 2 otherwise identical cars

but with diferent sized tyres presented side by side for CT, one will pass and the other possibly fail. Some CT stations of course may be more or less stringent in the application of the rule [;-)]

Thankfully the CofC for my MG makes no refernce to wheels and tyres at all [:D]

[quote user="BobDee"]Very sad and expensive to have replace 4 good tyres with good tread to comply[/quote]Maybe an idea to source some S/H wheels with 195 tyres and keep them for CT time [;-)]

Interesting to see from SD's link that tyres on the same axle are only required to be of the same category and structure and not identical as claimed by some tyre suppliers as we sometimes hear stories about.

Something else to print off and keep in the car perhaps [6]

Thanks to all the respondees.

Another factor from the info from SD, it would seem its not just tyre size but complete specification. My 1987 Mercedes 300E ogininally had a V speed rating on the tyres, (150 MPH). So I have to fit tyres to that spec. Michelin's or equiv make work out at around €100 per with fitting balancing taxes etc. Rediculous on a 22 year old car thats worth all of £500 in the UK!!!

Fume fume.

Off to the CT station this afternoon to battle re the headlights for the Chrysler armed with SD's info.

Will report back

BobD 

Back from CT station. CT man said lights wern't good but was a bit uncertain when I said do they have to be changed. Went back to the garage who submitted the car to the CT station and they reckoned they could be adjusted. Garage understood the fact that pre 1999 cars can dip up and down and not left/right and still be legal.

Both CT man and garage said, " why not fit new ones and claim on the insurance?" Seems a tad dishonest given its a rules thing and not damage etc.

BobD

I had the problem with one of the more *stricter* CT centres here with a clio, mine was a lhd made in france but reregistered in england, I brought it over and got it on french plates but it had wider wheels, gripped the road better but  didn't conform to the regs so we got the cheapest nastiest tyres and rims we could find, put them on the car, the guy passed them and told us to change the tyres back and store them for next time.  The car's had 2 or 3 controls since and we told the purchaser just to leave the cheap tyres in the boot and it's passed each time....

We've also been told to claim on the insurance for lights for various cars...

I posted the following on another forum, but this seems to be a more appropriate place.

I am considering reregistering my December 1999
RHD BMW 5 series in France.

First purchased in France but as a personal export, and to English specification.

The car has xenon headlights with a switch marked for "temporary" use in countries which drive on the right.

Does anyone know whether these headlights will satisfy the controle technique? BMW are unable to answer the question.