Driving round Paris

sueyh

We are travelling from the Pas de Calais to Spain, departing Thursday morning, what time is the worst rush hour time to avoid going round the peripherique?  Have taken the Rouen route for the past two years but thought we would give the Paris route a try this time.  Many thanks.

Suey

[quote user="Maricopa"]As Cat said I can't help when is the worst time, but we drove through Paris and around the Boulevard Periphique at middayish on a sunday in august, practically deserted and sailed through[:D][/quote]

But that wasn't Thursday morning was it?[Www]

I would guess that most people on the forum would probably agree with me in saying avoid Paris. We always use the aotoroute to Rouen then via Evereux-Chartres-Orleans and onto the A20, its a good route with mainly duel carriagway. (about every other car is a brit!)

I've used the Paris route a few times and have been lucky - once when coming back to the UK on a Sunday had no problems but the queues going the other was, and it was around 2pm were something else!

Now use the Rouen / Chartres route. Possibly adds up to an hour based on sailing through Paris but the new road that has just opened seems to speed the journey up. Plus would rather keep moving than sit in traffic jams.

Paul

We tend to take a last minute decision on whether to do the Paris or the Rouen / Chartres route. Outside of the quieter Sunday (or late night) journey around Paris the traffic seems to vary greatly with no set pattern on whether it will be a pain or not.

As we will be taking a van over in a couple of weeks we are thinking of doing the Rouen / Chartres route and would be interested to know if any improvements/new sections have been opened during the last couple of months since we last drove it.

[quote user="teapot"]Which new road P2?[/quote]

It is between Rouen and Chartres. It follows the N154 and is dual carriageway. It opened towards the end of last year and is really a new N154. However, I purchased a new road atlas recently and it labels it A154.

During its construction there was a limit of 70kph on the 'old' N154.

It is a fair length.

All they have to do now is by-pass some of the villages and the Rouen Chartres route will be even better.

Paul

[quote user="P2"]

It is between Rouen and Chartres. It follows the N154 and is dual carriageway. It opened towards the end of last year and is really a new N154.

Paul[/quote]

Paul. Is that the section of dual carriageway that had a contraflow on it during construction.?

[quote user="teapot"][quote user="P2"]

All they have to do now is by-pass some of the villages and the Rouen Chartres route will be even better.

Paul

[/quote]

Thanks for the update, and they have, its called the A28 [:D]

[/quote]

Really?  Michelin still think the Rouen - Chartres road is the N154.

The A28 doesn't go to Chartres although if you are heading south and are using Calais/Rouen as an alternative to the A1/ A10 through Paris, and want the A71, 20 or 75 you can use the A28 to Tours  and pick up the A 85 to Vierzon and the A71, seems a long way round though, but until N154 is dual carriageway could be quicker.

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="P2"]

It is between Rouen and Chartres. It follows the N154 and is dual carriageway. It opened towards the end of last year and is really a new N154.

Paul[/quote]

Paul. Is that the section of dual carriageway that had a contraflow on it during construction.?
[/quote]

Yes. They also seemed to take an age in opening it. For a few months it was all marked up but still not open.

In my new road atlas it has been marked A154.

Paul

Just did Calais to nr Limoges on Sunday, towing a horsebox full of furniture. Pretty much of a doddle via Rouen, Chartres and Orleans. It is the new bit of N154 after Chartres that is now fully dualled and open.

As others have indicated, the A28 is the relatively new motorway from Rouen to Alencon (and then on to Le Mans and Tours) Recently, I've usually gone back up to the channel ports that way, via Poitiers. Longer but quicker for me than via Orleans.

If heading for Bordeaux and then Spain, it's quicker (but more expensive in tolls) than the A20. If going to Spain via Toulouse, I'd probably still use the Orleans route.

I've never had much joy going via Paris itself - seem to end up lost in Versailles, or stuck on the peripherique (even on a Sunday)

we drove round the periferique once in a 2cv with three children in the back.

we had booked an overnight campsite stop and were looking for the turnoff which we realised some time later we had missed when we recognised the same buildings we had passed a while earlier!!

should be in the guinness book of records - going round twice in one day.