Be Very Aware!

Gluestick

Lots of people seem to have been having the problem according to the comments appended to the original article.  Worrying. It's not very clear what one can do protect oneself from this... yes, you can copy the licence before sending it off but that doesn't seem any guarantee it will be accepted as proof. My licence doesn't expire for a fair while but it's the old paper (non-photo) version and it's looking very ragged at the moment and I've been thinking of sending off for the current styled one... but reading this I wonder if it's worth the risk!

A good reminder but this one has been rumbling along virtually since the introduction of photo licences when some discovered that their categories had not been faithfully transferred.

The problem is nobody will have their pass certificate because they would have had to send the original to DVLA to get their full licence in the first place.

In light of their complete inefficiency and arrogance in insisting they can never be wrong my advice would be to apply for a replacement on the gorunds that yours was lost or destroyed simply to have it as proof if the situation ever arose. Somebody will doubtless say that it's breaking the rules to have one sent to a UK address where you no longer live but remember why you're having to do it [:'(]

I lost my wallet containing amongst other things my driving licence. I had to get a new one as well as getting new Oyster and credit cards.

Then a few weeks later I got a call from a guy who had found my wallet. So now I have two copies of my driving licence.

Maybe this is the way to have a duplicate when you send one off to Swansea.

All very odd, I have two paper licenses, one photo license + paper copy, one Chinese license, and an AA world license, and somehow I think the UK government would still make it difficult.................

Of course Michael, we still have our competition licenses, don't we??!!

Apart from the portfolio of driving docs I have (Including my old RAC/FIA International Entrant's License!), I do still retain my original Provisional License and the gummed paper strip which converted it to a full license.

It is now a sort of antique document: and would probably do rather well in a Sotheby's saleroom!

[:D]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Apart from the portfolio of driving docs I have (Including my old RAC/FIA International Entrant's License!), I do still retain my original Provisional License and the gummed paper strip which converted it to a full license.

It is now a sort of antique document: and would probably do rather well in a Sotheby's saleroom!

[/quote]

So, it's sometimes useful to have a name like Gluestick![:P]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]

So, it's sometimes useful to have a name like Gluestick![:P]

[/quote]

Don't be a Pritt [:-))][:D][;-)]

Good old Watchdog!!  On the ball again!!

The trouble with Watchdog is that it takes so many people to complain over such a long period of time, that often by the time you and I hear about a story, it's all done and dusted...

In the UK I was (am?) a Driving Instructor, and have dealt with this matter many many times since it came up just over two years ago, when the people passing their tests in cars were being sent new licences automatically without the need of a Pass Certificate.

One by one, customers were calling and saying they had lost their bike entitlement...

As the Chair of a very active Driving Instructor Association, I made contact with the DVLA - to receive a standard response of "we are not aware of such an issue, and suggest that the customer checks again..."

But eventually, the Driving Standards Agency (the people that run the tests) took the matter up, and it was confirmed as a problem!!

A few months later, everything was solved and now I truly believe that it is not happening any more.

HOWEVER - anybody that exchanged their licence for any reason, or passed a driving test for a car (Cat B) from about the summer of 2006 until around the same time in 2007 - should check that they still have the correct entitlement on their licence.

Remember that passing a test no longer gives you automatic entitlement to drive vehicles in other classes, and so if you have passed a test since 1994 you may find that your licence only shows the categories of vehicle for which you have been tested.  Passing a test prior to 1994 should mean that you have certain other categories also - such as A, C1, D1, etc.  These should not be affected by this story - it only seemed to affect people that took motorcycle tests prior to testing for a car, lorry or bus (B, C or D).

So panic not - but do make a quick check.