How to get an EU certificate of conformity

Kitty

No, Powerdesal, I haven't, not realising that it could be there.  The paperwork is accidentally in the UK whilst I am in France, so I can't check today.  I'll get a friend to go to our house and dig it out.  I mistakenly thought that it was something you applied for.  Thanks.

I  have a Nissan Terrano and have looked in the Handbook but not sure if there is a C of C.  My car is just 5 years old and I live at the moment in N Ireland and am moving to France in May this year and will have to register my car in France. I phoned Nissan UK customer services (the number is 019230899334 email is [email protected] ) which happened to be a call centre on the Antrim Road in Belfast N Ireland, they emailed the form to me to  fill in and to post it back along with a cheque for £111 and they would send me out a C of C. But I have since read on the Forum that if you go to Nissan France you can get a C of C from them and it costs about 67.38euro so not sure what to do. I suppose it might be better to get one for £111 and at least I would have it, all ready to go to the CT. Has anyone else encountered any problems registering a Nissan Terrano in France. I would love to hear from them.

Just a couple of points:

You do not need the CoC for your CT .

Are you possibly confusing Nissan France with the DRIRE as I believe €67 is what they charge for a certificate if the vehicle is in their database ?

Personally I'd tend to go with the bird in the hand approach even if it does cost a little more. Believe me you'll have enough else on your plate in those first weeks and months and it's a small price to pay to put this item in the 'done' tray.

Good luck with your move [;-)]

CathyC, your CoC should be in your handbook although Rockstitch's is unlikely to be as this only started happening three or so years ago (ie they were supplied with the car.)  SD would know when. Rockstitch, unless it's a grey import you should have no trouble at all registering your Terano - it's Jap and US spec vehicles etc which cause the problems on the whole.

It could be either Nissan France or Nissan UK who issue these (for older cars) or both.  For my Skoda it was the UK (France refused) and for our Landy it was France (the UK refused.[:-))]) so it varies between manufacturers.  In your shoes, I'd apply to both and get the thing from whichever is the cheaper.

[quote user="Cathy"]

I have a UK registered Nissan that is 4 years' old and I want to register it in France.  How do I obtain an EU certificate of conformity, which will enable me to register directly at my prefecture?

[/quote]

The vehicle will have to be exported to France so you need to tell the DVLA..  The procedure for doing this in the FAQs which you will find at the top of this topic,  along with how to get a C De C if there isn't one in the handbook, with a 2004/5 car there will be one as long as its not a grey import..  If it is as others have said you need to talk to DRIRE.

• 3 weeks later...
For the avoidance of confusion, whilst properly you should export the vehicle by filling in the relevant section of your V5 and sending it to DVLA, in the context of registering in France a vehicles' export status is irrelevant and plays no part in the process.

• 1 month later...

Rockstitch - Thank you for your helpful posts.  The Nissan Customer Services telephone number on your first post has an extra digit in error.  The UK telephone number should read:

01923 899334

Meanwhile, Nissan UK have informed me that they do not issue Certificates of Conformity automatically for new cars.  So I have ordered one.  The cost is £100.  It is going to take 2 - 3 weeks to arrive.

Frankly, I think that is a high price to pay for what amounts to a bit of paper with information about the car, the engine and so forth; nothing that is too onerous for a manufacturer to provide.

Before leaving Britain, I rang Hyundai British HQ, the certificate came by first class post the following morning and it didn't cost me a penny.  It wasn't even a new car when I bought it.

[quote user="Cathy"]

Meanwhile, Nissan UK have informed me that they do not issue Certificates of Conformity automatically for new cars.[/quote]

No because the C De C its been been part of car's handbook for all cars registered in the EU since 2000.

I don't wish to advertise - and if it's not allowed, then I'm sure someone will delete this post!

For my car, I used EuroCOC (at eurococ.com).  I think it cost more than if I had gone directly - I paid 70€ for my Ford plus 10€ for "delivery by courier"...  but it came with my regular postie, and not signed for!

However, it all took just a few clicks online, the VIN number and my details, and then when they had the certificate in their office I got an email and a call, and then I could go back to their site and pay.

I was worried when the certificate turned up and was from Germany, but when I queried this I got a very fast email reply, which was pretty personalised unlike most big companies...  and they were right to say that it shouldn't be a problem...   it had all the right reference numbers for example...

You can get an instant quote from their site...   and in my case, from the query to the certificate arriving took just 6 days - they advertise 21.

I found them online, when I looked for the details for Ford - and never even got a reply from the emails I sent to Ford in France and the UK.

Andy

Fortunately my Skoda came with a CoC, I'd insisted the guy I bought it from in UK provide it.

The one for my MG cost €150 and whilst I was glad to get it of course I'm sure it was the product of no more than 10 minutes work on a PC and can't really see the justification for that sum of money. It also took 6 weeks to arrive, which to be fair I was told upfront that it would, but why it should have taken that long I cannot fathom.

Still, next time I have an MG to register it won't cost me very much at all [;-)]

Renault UK did not charge a penny for my Clio C of C last year. All I had to do was turn up at a Renault garage with the car docs, driving license, passport and utility bill. They did the rest and I recd the doc in the post about 3 weeks later.

Ernie - I think it was you who told me this before, but stupidly I never noted the details at the time and now cant find the original thread - I will be needing a CoC for an Austin Mini van within the next few months. I believe it was you who posted details of an address where I was likely to find one - Possibly the same place you got your from?

Thanks.

You might not get it via DRIRE.  In Lot and Tarn & Garonne they no longer do it, gave us the phone number for Citroen who charge 135 euros.  We opted for Citroen UK at £94.  I can't see why we needed it all as it proves nothing, our car is already registered in the French system as our garage found when they input the VIN.  The car is a 2002 model and did not come with a CofC.

Whatever it conformed to in 2002, we could have made all sorts of changes! 

"our car is already registered in the French system"

You must have French number plates on it then. Or could you be talking about a manufacturers computer system rather than the French registration system which requires a C of C.