Sat Nav's

Les

[quote user="AnOther"]Frankly I can't quite see how a ban on GPS warning devices can work.

Firstly Sat Navs are so common now that the sheer numbers make it an impossible task to check everybody just because they are using one.

Secondly most if not all Sat Navs can be PIN code protected so if switched off, something easily accomplished even during the process of being pulled over, how is a Gendarme going to prove that you have been using one with a warning device, a new offence of failing to switch it on when requested perhaps ?

[/quote]

Having the capacity to.... will be enough for the gendarmes, but it is difficult to see how they can enforce it with so many about.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="woolybanana"]

[quote user="AnOther"]Frankly I can't quite see how a ban on GPS warning devices can work.

Firstly Sat Navs are so common now that the sheer numbers make it an impossible task to check everybody just because they are using one.

Secondly most if not all Sat Navs can be PIN code protected so if switched off, something easily accomplished even during the process of being pulled over, how is a Gendarme going to prove that you have been using one with a warning device, a new offence of failing to switch it on when requested perhaps ?

[/quote]

Having the capacity to.... will be enough for the gendarmes, but it is difficult to see how they can enforce it with so many about.

[/quote]

Easy enough - just book the ones you stop and get around to the others if/when you stop them. Surely that's the point of "stop and search"?

John

Unless I've missed it I have seen nothing to suggest that mere possession of a camera database is to become illegal, just the use thereof, in which case just switch it off as you are being pulled, it's usually no more than a few keystrokes.

The point I am making is that I think it will be a largely unenforcable measure which will quickly clog up the courts with appeals, especially with the excessively punitive nature of the proposed penalties.

Navigation devices are not illegal - just the software element (POI's) which indicate the location of fixed speed cameras and radar 'hot-spots'.

Strangely enough, one of Europe's major manufacturers of both fixed in-car and portable devices, is German!

Doesn't stop them providing speed camera software updates though!

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Navigation devices are not illegal - just the software element (POI's) which indicate the location of fixed speed cameras and radar 'hot-spots'. Strangely enough, one of Europe's major manufacturers of both fixed in-car and portable devices, is German! Doesn't stop them providing speed camera software updates though![/quote]Yes sorry Sam, I was unclear.  I was trying to point out that although SatNavs are legal, those which show the position of speed cameras are not and yet they cope.

• 3 weeks later...