Spain, not France but they must be short of funds

Bugsy

? surely they will have adjusted the speed signs accordingly??????? AND if they have, then why wouldn't drivers just stick to the limits, or is this really rocket science?

Are all the EU governments in such magnificent union that the government of Spain can take points from licences from other EU licences. I'm not saying that they couldn't get the dosh, but the points, is that possible?

It's much more than sticking to posted limits 'idun'.

"If the Guardia Civil observe a motoring offence and note the vehicle registration number, this provides sufficient evidence to prosecute. There is no need to stop the vehicle."

Therefore IF a policeman walking along a footpath for example, and decides that in his opinion, you are speeding then you will be found guilty.

[quote user="Théière"]Only twice, with all that france has to offer why leave france.
[/quote]

Yes, quite. But many of us actually like Spain too, especially in those cold winter months when it is much milder in Spain than here.

The bit about the policeman observing the alleged offence is worrying, but the same thing applies already here in France. If a Gendarme observes someone driving through a village (say) at what he thinks is excessive speed, it can be the basis for a fine.

I wonder if these changes are due to the many immigrants who don't follow the rules, and I really mean ex-pat Brits; we know there are loads of them in Spain avoiding the authorities in UK. It makes it hard for all the law-abiding people who DO try to fit in.  We've seen recent problems with EHIC cards.

I'll still be taking my Spanish break next year.

Thanks, Bugsy, for bringing it to our attention. Duly noted.

Last time I drove down through Spain, the autoroute speed limits were all over the place, jumping up and down...110 - 100 - 90 - 110 etc for various distances and for no discernible reason.

I can see how it would be easy to get caught out.

I got flashed for the first time ever in France on the periphique de Lille last week in similar circumstances, the limit changing frequently, I heard the GPS alert honking but I am always well Under the limit, (not this time) so no longer take any notice of it [:(]

My front number plate is peeling and I have encouraged it a bit which should help but I think the loose bit was bent close back to shape as the ANPR at the ferry booth recognised my plate which they usually dont so it doesnt bode well.

How long do these things take to come through? When can you say that you "probably" have got away with it?

I have had a good run though, for the first year before I changed to French plates I was flashed many many times, in the 8 years since then only the once plus one time in Belgium which I ignored.

Not driving, but Spain and the ways they are trying to claw back money:

A friend has just purchased a second home in Spain. The sale and all the legal formalities went through without a hitch. Then she was contacted by her Spanish lawyer.

A government body notified them that they did not consider she had paid the 'right' price for the property - she had paid too little. So a tax was to be imposed on her for the difference between the price she paid and what the government body considered to be the 'right' price.

As you can imagine, this came as a big shock. She has appealed but her lawyers don't think she will win.

[quote user="sid"]

I wonder if these changes are due to the many immigrants who don't follow the rules, and I really mean ex-pat Brits; we know there are loads of them in Spain avoiding the authorities in UK. It makes it hard for all the law-abiding people who DO try to fit in.  We've seen recent problems with EHIC cards.

I'll still be taking my Spanish break next year.

Thanks, Bugsy, for bringing it to our attention. Duly noted.

[/quote]

It must feel really good to be a perfect citizen Sid? [Www]

Well of course, if you want to be a complete prat, yes I feel great thanks!!

When did I ever try to make you look an idiot? Go back to bed and get out the right side.

I remember now why I left here THREE times before.

Thank you and Goodnight

[quote user="sid"]

Well of course, if you want to be a complete prat, yes I feel great thanks!!

When did I ever try to make you look an idiot? Go back to bed and get out the right side.

I remember now why I left here THREE times before.

Thank you and Goodnight

[/quote]

Oh dear oh dear, another keyboard warrior, never mind sid I didn't think you were so sensitive. [:P]

we are talking about spain, so if you are deemed to have been speeding but not stopped (in a vehicle registered outside of spain)  how is the fine applied? there was something back along about being able to send fines etc to foreign registered cars, uk and denmark didn't sign up, I thought I had seen written recently that the whole agreement had run into difficulty, EU, practicality, whatever

Justice should always be evidence based otherwise it turns into farce.  How can a simple gardia know accurately what speed a vehicle is doing when it for instance has a noisier exhaust so sounding faster.  Vehicle size also alters perception of speed as does proximity and road surface.

Having a speed camera gps unit is ok but not for use whilst driving as it's a distraction, bullshit, no more than a radio or a passenger talking. It's more distracting looking for speed cameras.

The Spanish are just bandits.

Sid, is it possible to leave 3 times? [:D] Oh I doubt you'll see that as funny, looks like for now you may have lost your sense of humour.

[quote user="Thibault"]Not driving, but Spain and the ways they are trying to claw back money:

A friend has just purchased a second home in Spain. The sale and all the legal formalities went through without a hitch. Then she was contacted by her Spanish lawyer.

A government body notified them that they did not consider she had paid the 'right' price for the property - she had paid too little. So a tax was to be imposed on her for the difference between the price she paid and what the government body considered to be the 'right' price.

As you can imagine, this came as a big shock. She has appealed but her lawyers don't think she will win.[/quote]

What a B****y cheek !      Its hardly within the spirit of  EU "Free Movement " is it to pull  a stunt like that . Reading this is enough to make you vote for UKIP !

Frederick, please do not fall for the UKIP guff.

I know you probably meant your comment in a humorous (ugh....forgotten how to spell that word) fashion but you could unintenationally mislead others[;-)]

Don't worry if the house price falls the government will bail you out [Www]

You see with UKIP they don't have to be smart as the rest of the EU is getting dimmer therefore making them look a better option. Can't wait to see the results of the poles in the UK.

[quote user="Théière"]Don't worry if the house price falls the government will bail you out [Www]

You see with UKIP they don't have to be smart as the rest of the EU is getting dimmer therefore making them look a better option. Can't wait to see the results of the poles in the UK.

[/quote]

Teapot, you leave the poles alone, we're all Europeans now!!![:D][:D][:D]

Thanks for making me laugh as I am distinctly grumpy today.

Re the house buying bit of this thread. Call me cynical, but I would need to know a lot more about the circumstances before passing judgement.

Was it bought from a friend? Was the house bought for 200,000 and a car thrown in for 50,000 whereas the house value is 245000 and the car 5,000?

If there is indeed more to it than meets the eye, then there are actually similar laws already in the UK.

And so there should be.

[quote user="richard51"]Re the house buying bit of this thread. Call me cynical, but I would need to know a lot more about the circumstances before passing judgement.

Was it bought from a friend? Was the house bought for 200,000 and a car thrown in for 50,000 whereas the house value is 245000 and the car 5,000?

If there is indeed more to it than meets the eye, then there are actually similar laws already in the UK.

And so there should be.[/quote]

The house was bought in the normal way from people my friend only knew as vendors. It was done properly via a solicitor - not under the table fiddles or anything shady involved.

The solicitor told my friend that the Spanish Government was looking for anything that could raise money because of the economic situation.